Random Gas Light..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Gas Light..

My low fuel light has been going on and off at random the past two days.. It usually happens when I start the car and then it goes away after driving for a little.. The gas gauge is working fine just puzzled why this is happening..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isn't there a low fuel module that triggers that light? maybe it's on the fritz.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What year car is that? I'll see if I can pull the wiring diagram. I can sure tell it isn't a 5.0 car.

On many of these cars, the low fuel light is run by something called the Anti-Slosh module, which prevents the gas gauge from going all over the place when you drive like me. It also triggers the low fuel light when it determines that the fuel level input signal averages out to a low enough reading. If module itself went bad, I'll bet you the light might stay on.

The anti slosh module is (at least on my older vehicles) a small circuit board set into the side of the instrument cluster, separate from everything else. It's smaller than a pack of cigarettes. It should be an easy plug and play with a junkyard unit.
      Last edited by 91waggin; 04-30-2014, 03:11 PM.
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
        What year car is that? I can sure tell it isn't a 5.0 car.

box townie. 5.0 car. lol
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

next to the gas pedal to the right, you'll find a module for the low fuel light. Unplug it and plug it back in. When the contacts on that get crusty, the idiot light comes on when it shouldn't.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Dave! And thanks Gadget I'll take a look in the morning..

Comment

Found it and cleaned it let's see what happens.. Pulled out the drivers door buzzer striker too that was going off randomly and pissing me off.. Those never fail to fail lol

Comment

Working...
              X