Tensioner assembly and belt change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tensioner assembly and belt change

So, as I continue working on my '87 in anticipation of actually being able to drive it in the next few weeks, one of the last items on my list is to change the engine belts (got two new Motorcrafts). I got the front one off by loosening the alternator, which wasn't too bad other than I had to remove the top brace for the alternator because otherwise I could not pivot the housing far enough to give enough slack in the belt. How in the HELL does this tensioner assembly work? As I understand it, there's a bolt on the front plate under the A/C compressor and one directly behind the tensioner on the back side of the bracket. I have read several threads and tried finding a you tube video showing how this contraption operates and I am still confused. Read my service manual and that was not very clear either. What is the correct order of operations, step-by-step? I am used to later models with the self-adjusting tensioner - slip the breaker bar in, release, remove belt, release, put new belt on and go. This one seems a bit more finicky as it does not self adjust? I need someone to post a couple of photos or a video so I don't fuck up my car. Any takers?

It also appears that the pulley is riveted to the tensioner. Looks like I will returning the plastic replacement that I bought. Don't want any plastic bullshit. Would really like to replace the unit before new belts just to make sure everything is up to snuff, but I wonder if the part is even available anymore anywhere?
    Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 04-30-2014, 02:55 PM.
    Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
    Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
    Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
    Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

IIRC, you put a wrench on the front bolt to get the tension, then you tighten the back one to hold it in place. Does that make sense?
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

The tensioner isn't hard, iirc the tensioner bracket is a two bolt setup like the alt, one pivot bolt and one bolt on a curved hole to tighten. If you monkey with it you'll figure it out.

I used a ACDelco 15-20669 tensioner pulley. It fit fine but I think had a slightly smaller diameter than stock. I think mine had a bolt holding it to the bracket, I don't remember, but you could drill out the fixed one or find a bolted one at the junkyard.

Pete
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

loosen the pivot bolt at the AC compressor (DO NOT REMOVE). then wrench behind the mounting plate to loosen the positioning bolt. reverse with a breaker bar holding the tension on the tensioner for install. I've contemplated many times trying to figure out how to put an aero/whale tensioner on that side. Never actually done anything about that though.

the stock pulley is held on with a snap ring under the metal grease cap that is pressed on and a holy hell of a bitch to get off (re: can opener in the form of punch/chisel).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have a Motorcraft replacement on mine, and its bolted. Metal idler too. I bought it years ago though, so its hard to say what you can get now. If you can get the pulley off, just replace the bearing. I rebuilt the one for my truck. The bearing was like $8 or something from McMaster-Carr.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's kind of a PITA the first few times you do it, because you have to come in with a socket + extension from back behind the AC brackets, you can't really see it too well either.
            You should see a square 3/8" hole in the tensioner arm you use to crank on the thing to make your tension, then hold it with one hand and tighten either of the two fasteners you just loosened with the other.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Much easier if the smog pump isn't present.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                Much easier if the smog pump isn't present.
                This!

done it with and without though... just can't swing the ratchet on the back side as far with the smog pump present.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

So, if I understand right, loosen the bolt on the front side first, then loosen the bolt/nut on the back side. This should remove tension and I can remove belt. Replace belt. Use breaker bar to apply tension and then tighten bolt/nut on rear side. Tighten bolt on front side. Done. Sound right?

One thing I noticed was that I couldn't get the right angle to get my breaker bar inserted firmly into the square opening with the belt in the way (too deep/recessed to reach with breaker bar). I will investigate that a bit more. Perhaps I need to put the breaker a different direction while doing that or use an extension.

Lastly, since I don't have any special voodoo equipment for determining belt tension, how tight should they be when installed properly?

All very good advice so far! Thank you guys! Still learning the 5.0
                  Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 05-01-2014, 09:05 AM.
                  Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....

Comment

Yes, that's pretty much it.

I had to use my 4 inch extension on my breaker bar to get it.

as for tension of the belt... good and, but still allow about a quarter inch of deflection on the long run without pushing real hard. If it squeals when you turn on the AC compressor, tighten it some more. If not, you're good.

Comment

Edit: Sly beat me to it, but here goes anyway:

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                      So, if I understand right, loosen the bolt on the front side first, then loosen the bolt/nut on the back side. This should remove tension and I can remove belt. Replace belt. Use breaker bar to apply tension and then tighten bolt/nut on rear side. Tighten bolt on front side. Done. Sound right?
                      Done. That's the correct procedure. A ratcheting wrench (GearWrench) comes in handy for the back bolt, as long as it's not too seized up.

One thing I noticed was that I couldn't get the right angle to get my breaker bar inserted firmly into the square opening with the belt in the way (too deep/recessed to reach with breaker bar). I will investigate that a bit more. Perhaps I need to put the breaker a different direction while doing that or use an extension.
                      A 2-3" extension should do the trick.

Lastly, since I don't have any special voodoo equipment for determining belt tension, how tight should they be when installed properly?
                      There are different schools of thought on belt tension, but my experience has shown me that there is usually a "threshold" where the belt goes from somewhat tight (1/2" deflection or more over ~18" length) to rock-solid (less than 1/4" deflection over 18"). I try to hit just shy of that threshold. It's all about having the belt just tight enough to avoid pulley slip, since the life of your AC/PS/alt/smog/tensioner bearings will obviously be shortened by excessive tension. If you get belt squeal (and are reasonably confident in the condition of your accessories, ie. they are not seizing up), cinch it down a little more.
                      RyPow
                      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                      2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                      1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                      2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                      2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

You guys kick ass! Thanks! Hopefully I will be able to finish this up in the next few days. Only so much time to get everything done. My car has been sitting for about two weeks. Coolant is drained, hoses off, many clamps replaced already, oil/filter/cap/rotor/plugs/wires/thermostat all changed, pcv system serviced, power steering lines replaced. The belts are the last thing on the major mechanical list. Once I get that done, I am going to have a shop replace rubber brakes lines, fluid and maybe rear cylinders if needed and this baby will be road ready for summer! Then it's on to minor things like exhaust repair, paint touchup, trim fixing, etc.
                        Nick

Comment

Had success changing the belt. Old one was cracked to hell so I'm glad to be rid of it. One thing I have found, though, is a ton of oily residue covering the air pump and tensioner assembly bracket and in the general area. Not sure where it is all coming from, but I cleaned it all up. I've found this car to have a fair bit of leaks for as low mileage as it is. I guess age trumps overall.
                          Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 05-05-2014, 11:59 AM.
                          Nick

Comment

New question. Does anyone know what the proper length for the alternator belt is supposed to be? Ordered Motorcraft JK6-502 (50.25 inches) from Rock Auto as it was said to fit and I cannot for the life of me get the belt slipped over the alternator pulley and that is with the alternator bolt completely out of the top. If I take the pivot bolt out, I can get the belt on, but cannot get the pivot bolt to line back up through the holes since there's so much tension tweaking on the alternator housing. That fucker is tight. I see JK6-506 (50.75 inches) that I could try to special order through O'Reilly (RA doesn't even show it) if they can even get it. I took off a Gates K060505 (51.052 inches). Anyone have any sizes or part number? Thanks.
                            Nick

Comment

The 505 is definitely the 'long' belt part number - the 500 is what most of us use, so the 502 Ford belt should have been fine...

Does your Lincoln have the large externally regulated alternator or a 3G swap? That would explain it.
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X