No announcement yet.

Tensioner assembly and belt change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

505K6 sounds right. I don't have stock belts on my car anymore though.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

505k6 is what I used after the 3G swap. I think 500k6 was the stock size. 1/2" shorter.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I use the 505k6 on the 3G swaps unless I swap the 2G pulley over.

Sent from Blaster coming at ya from Autobot City.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The car is purportedly original so it should still have the crappy 2G alternator on it. I will post some photos in the morning of the alternator. The 51" Gates belt was a breeze to get on and off, but there was no fuckin way the 50.25" was going to go on there. Hesitant to try the 50.75" as its special order (so no returns if it doesn't work), but that may be the answer.
          Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
          Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
          Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
          Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Here are a couple snaps of the alternator and the Gates belt put back on until I get things sorted out. Would it make any difference that this is a '87? Didn't think there were any changes that year. Is it possible a certain option set would have dictated a different sized alternator from the factory?

O'Reilly shows yet another option in addition to the ones previously mentioned, Motorcraft JK6512E, 51.25 inch. Confusing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1274221

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1274222
            Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 05-06-2014, 08:36 AM.
            Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....

Comment

That's a large case 1G - your car must have had heated windshield or maybe the tow package - you need the longer belt.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                That's a large case 1G - your car must have had heated windshield or maybe the tow package - you need the longer belt.
                Interesting. I guess I don't really know how tell one from the other. Is this the shittiest of the shity as far as alternators on these cars? What kind of amps do these put out? I apologize for all of the questions. Trying to learn.
                Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 05-06-2014, 12:41 PM.
                Nick

Comment

My guess was 65 amp for OEM???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

The giveaway is that it does not have the voltage regulator attached to the back, and it does not have the 'fire hazard' plug-in charge wire connection. You should have a brassy-looking device attached to your fender near the washer/coolant tank, about the size of a pack of smokes. This is the external voltage regulator.

I think the small 1G put out 65 amps, and the big one 100 amps. It's not a bad thing, I know the small 1G's are dirt cheap to replace, not sure about the big ones (they may be less common).
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You guys are encyclopedias on these cars! Thank you for the education! I am really enjoying learning all of this stuff. If anyone ever needs help on a 60's Continental, I may be of some assistance.

As for the external regulator, you are correct.

Don't mind the dirty ass engine bay. These were the first photos that I took before cleanup commenced.

I cannot express enough gratitude to you guys for helping me out with this car. I long for another slabside Continental, but I don't know if I will ever be able to let this '87 go!
                      Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 05-06-2014, 12:59 PM.
                      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                        Had success changing the belt. Old one was cracked to hell so I'm glad to be rid of it. One thing I have found, though, is a ton of oily residue covering the air pump and tensioner assembly bracket and in the general area. Not sure where it is all coming from, but I cleaned it all up. I've found this car to have a fair bit of leaks for as low mileage as it is. I guess age trumps overall.
                        My first guess is that people putting oil in over the years didn't use funnel that often and spilled a lot. Then I'm going to guess timing cover gasket and P/S valve cover gasket.
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

The 100 amp usually meant InstaClear, but for some reason I want to say the Towncar did not have that option. I know on the Fords with the InstaClear, the rear defrost switch was marked a little differently, though without looking at the 2 side by side I couldn't swear how. Tow package cars also did not get a 100 amp external, or at least mine and the 87 I've seen did not. I think that was a limo prep car thing.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                            My first guess is that people putting oil in over the years didn't use funnel that often and spilled a lot. Then I'm going to guess timing cover gasket and P/S valve cover gasket.
                            Yikes. Timing cover gasket. I was hoping to not have to rip into that this year. Guess I will try to pinpoint leaks once I start driving the car regularly and the majority of it has been cleaned up. Replaced the valve cover gaskets as well as both P/S lines so as long as I snugged everything up, that should eliminate those possiblities.
                            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              The 100 amp usually meant InstaClear, but for some reason I want to say the Towncar did not have that option. I know on the Fords with the InstaClear, the rear defrost switch was marked a little differently, though without looking at the 2 side by side I couldn't swear how. Tow package cars also did not get a 100 amp external, or at least mine and the 87 I've seen did not. I think that was a limo prep car thing.
                              I was going to say, I didn't think InstaClear was an option until the early 90's, but then again, I don't know much about the option. Seems like it would have been a good concept. I guess I just have an odd-ball car with the non-standard alternator on it. Maybe because '87 was short production year or because it's a Cartier? I dunno. Ordered the JK6-506 belt today so I will report back when it gets here and I have a chance to fit it.
                              Nick

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                                Yikes. Timing cover gasket. I was hoping to not have to rip into that this year. Guess I will try to pinpoint leaks once I start driving the car regularly and the majority of it has been cleaned up. Replaced the valve cover gaskets as well as both P/S lines so as long as I snugged everything up, that should eliminate those possiblities.
                                It isn't that bad. 1 day project tops. The good thing is that if you're oily all over the front of the motor you probably won't have much trouble getting the bolts out.
                                Basically it's like doing a water pump but you have to go a couple extra steps further.
                                Just take your time, keep your bolts in order as you remove components, and you'll be just fine.
                                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                                X