"85 Grand Marquis Intake manifold gasket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"85 Grand Marquis Intake manifold gasket replacement

Reader's ride coming soon. My newest acquisition is an '85 GM. It's got an oil leak from the intake manifold and I was wondering how extensive that would be too fix. I know the gasket is around 20 bucks, it's labor that's expensive. I change my own brakes and oil, as well as all the simple stuff but I've never tackled something so extensive. The most labor intensive thing I've ever done were things like swapping out the radiator, thermostat, shocks and other relatively simple stuff.

I know that the distributor has to come out to do this and that's what scares the hell out of me. I'm paranoid that I'll jump timing and then I'll really be up the creek. Plus I'm sure bolts are gonna be pretty frozen. Is it worth tackling or should I just keep adding oil for the time being?

sigpic

the PCV valve/grommet/screen probably need changed too. that pretty much solved the majority of the leaks on my 88. I do still need new VC gaskets... but meh. doesn't leak THAT much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
    X