Odd AC Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd AC Problem

The air conditioning in my car has been working inconsistently. I got it recharged about a year ago and converted to r134. Blower motor is also new and works great. The air conditioning has been blowing hot more and more often, but every once in a while I'll switch it from Vent to A/C and it blows cold! Could this be a wiring issue? I doubt all the freon has leaked out since it worked well for me last night.

Car has ATC by the way.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Is compressor cycling? Does it blow cool when its hot outside? If not sounds like a low charge.

Sent from my '85 Lincolin Town Car
    Using Tapatalk

Comment

vent doesn't run the compressor... so if it only gets cold in AC, it's working properly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Absolutely, I missed that little tidbit.

Using Tapatalk

Comment

I checked the compressor to see if it was cycling and it looked like it wasn't. I took a video but it's hard for me to tell. I took a quick video of it. Sorry about the camera orientation.

Comment

A little to short to tell. As Sly stated the comp will NOT run in "vent", It only cycles in AC. You didn't answer any of my questions either.

Using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm sorry, I didn't get to see your reply before sending mine. I know the compressor doesn't do any work in vent. When I switch from vent to ac I can feel a change in the engine idle, so I'm assuming that's the compressor engaging. I had the car's ac on and full blast while filming the video.

The car had barely any R12 left in it when I bought it 4 years ago. I had a shop convert it to R134a and install the fittings, but I don't know if they changed any of the o-rings. Should I look there first?

Comment

Ac works well at night when it's cooler out

Comment

The compressor also cycles in defrost settings.
                  1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

In that short clip I did not see the compressor engage at all, never mind cycle.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Good to know! I'll try and get a better video for you guys tomorrow, I didn't realize how short the video was when I took it. If the problem is indeed the compressor, would it be caused by a bad switch? I'll try and do a pressure test whenever I can to see if there's still pressure in the system.

Comment

most of the time the compressor not running is caused by low charge. Before you change anything, make sure its got refrigerant. if the system was empty and a shop basically just charged it with R134, its going to have leaked out since the original leak was never fixed.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There is a low pressure switch that will prevent the comp from coming on if you have a low charge.

Using Tapatalk

Comment

Apparently the issue two years ago was some wiring damage on the low pressure switch. Mechanic "mended" it and the fix lasted until now. I got a new connector from an '87 Country Squire at the junkyard but the wiring colors are different. The original '89 wiring has green/black and white/blue while the junkyard connector has green/purple and black/white. Any clue for which two wires are supposed to go together?

Comment

It really doesn't matter honestly. Its a simple on/off switch.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X