Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy way to remove front bumper trim off an '87?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy way to remove front bumper trim off an '87?

Hey All,

The weather's getting nicer and I'm just about ready to finally paint the front half of my car (that's currently gray). I'm wondering if anyone knows an easy way to get the plastic filler off the bumper itself easily? Not the fender fillers, the one that's actually attached to the bumper itself. It would be much easier to paint if I was able to get that piece off instead of fussing with taping it off.

I took a quick glance and it looks like the bumper needs to come off, then there's a big heavy reinforcement insert that can be taken out from behind the bumper. The trim piece looks like it's attached by plastic "pop" clips. Is there an easier way to get this out? Or does anyone have any recommendations on how to not break these plastic clips?

Thanks,
    -Erik

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

That trim just behind the front bumper filling the gap is metal then the plastic fillers attach to that. I removed the fender fillers then remove the bumper and then do your disassembly. Only three nuts per side holding the bumper on. 15mm. Much easier to fuss with it off the vehicle.

I have pic in my rr thread. Click my sig pic and then scroll to the bottom of that thread for the like to the build thread. Some where before 2011 you will find pics of this.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ah. Found the pics! Thanks. So it's basically the same assembly as the rear bumpers? That should make my life easier.

Link to post with pics: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post526184

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

your welcome. I don't remember about the rear anymore. Its been a few years.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
        X