No announcement yet.

Larisa "1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass 2-Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 sounds like a rod/crank bearing. Tear apart both engines and use the good parts (crank/rods) to rebuild the exploder engine and have a nice day.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I would do a rebuild. Hows the bearings look? Need pics of those.
      Attached Files
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Did it make oil pressure when it was primed? Usually the drill will bog down pretty good if its pumping. I generally stop when smoke starts to come out of the cheap-ass Harbor Freight drill I use for such tasks. It definitely sounds dry, whether thats rotating assembly or cylinder walls I don't know.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's what I got a low-speed Milwawkee corded drill for, 8 amps of fierce oil pumping torque if you can hold her from spinning around and trying to take a chunk off your hand.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Did it make oil pressure when it was primed? Usually the drill will bog down pretty good if its pumping. I generally stop when smoke starts to come out of the cheap-ass Harbor Freight drill I use for such tasks. It definitely sounds dry, whether thats rotating assembly or cylinder walls I don't know.
            Yeah it was making oil pressure. The drill almost ripped out of my hands. and I could smell the electric smell. You know what smell I'm talking about.

Comment

Yup, sure do - the "we're gonna need a bigger drill" smell So what's the verdict for this anyways, Exploder heads onto old block, or something else? Come to think of it, what was the reason for going with the unknown-condition Exploder motor in its complete stage, as opposed to just dropping the fancy heads onto the car's factory shortblock that is known to be good? Too high mileage on the stock engine?

Wait, I just noticed the bitch was already E7-headed with a SEFI conversion - why even fuck with it then, especially if running good??? Or were there some other issue with that engine?
              Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 03-18-2016, 12:07 AM.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

It smoked more than Matt.
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                  It smoked more than Matt.

Comment

I mean, he very well could've bent a rod. It's really easy to bend rods when you hydrolock an engine. Even a slight bend will completely change the geometry of the rotating assembly and it may spin easy until one point and then not go any farther after that. So. If I were in his shoes, I'd pull the motor and start popping off rod caps whilst at the same time, taking out each piston and checking the condition of the rods. I doubt he broke a piston skirt but crazy things can happen with motors. If a rod was bent, I'd bring it to a machine shop and swap out one of the old engine's rods onto the new engine's pistons. Then while you're there, you should do the piston rings too. If it's a standard engine and not a metric one, the piston rings are like 50$.

Someone help him put the shit back together, so he doesn't dick it.

Otherwise Matt, get another exploder block.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

The original motor in that thing is flat tappet with an EFI conversion. I seem to recall it being pretty sludged up as well. I seem to recall having to pass once so I could breathe air that wasn't contaminated with oil burning fumes.

Was the '82 engine the same 50 ounce imbalance the later ones used or no? I know there was a change in 82, but I don't recall if it was 82+ were 50, or if 82 was the last year for 28. The rear main seal would tell you. One piece should be 50 oz, the two piece are 28.
                      Last edited by gadget73; 03-18-2016, 05:37 PM.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ALL 302 engines 1981 and newer have the 50oz imbalance.
                        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

UPDATE!!! Tore down the old engine and found out why my engine was making those lovely noises and possibly why the crank was hard to spin. Found out all the rod bearings and crank bearings were wiped out, scored nicely too. No Bent Rods from what i can see they all look straight. On the other hand engine #2 build is ready for assembling, thanks to Lincolnmania for providing me with his old f250 302 short block, and the Explorer Cam from MRLTD's build. spins nicely compared to the old explorer motor and was told it has less than 100,000 miles on it. Once 86VickyLX comes up it will be assembled and ready to go in. Lets hope everything goes well. Got all new gaskets for reassembling. Had the heads looked over at the machine shop, and they are fine, no bent valves, making me think the whole issue behind that motor was a sloppy lower end. Pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	1924049_561414844020856_5635131231503359825_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1279111Click image for larger version

Name:	10366174_561414874020853_4086900156826570679_n.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1279112Click image for larger version

Name:	10399755_561414774020863_4373893757979159038_n.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1279113Click image for larger version

Name:	10419573_561414794020861_7559599907147470568_n.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1279114Click image for larger version

Name:	10530915_561414864020854_7330342019387932297_n.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1279115Click image for larger version

Name:	12494928_561414834020857_398912327651545724_n.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1279116Click image for larger version

Name:	12718326_561414807354193_5320459218137301589_n.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1279117Click image for larger version

Name:	12744676_561414820687525_7310664639293127743_n.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1279118Click image for larger version

Name:	12794603_561414764020864_3512266213594449491_n.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1279119

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

That one with the deep scratch looks to have had a piece of dirt in it. Its obviously got wear, but beyond the scratch nothing would make me point a finger at any of it for making it not rotate. Sloppy bearings if anything tend to make engines roll easy. If there was a piece of crap jammed in that bearing shell though, that might wedge it up. Its tight bearings that make things not go.

I take it you never had the bottom apart on that Explorer motor?
                            Last edited by gadget73; 03-26-2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              That one with the deep scratch looks to have had a piece of dirt in it. Its obviously got wear, but beyond the scratch nothing would make me point a finger at any of it for making it not rotate. Sloppy bearings if anything tend to make engines roll easy. If there was a piece of crap jammed in that bearing shell though, that might wedge it up. Its tight bearings that make things not go.

I take it you never had the bottom apart on that Explorer motor?
                              No never touched the bottom end at all, except for putting a new oil pump, oil pump driveshaft, oil pump screen on, and a panther oil pan.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                              -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                              1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

My bet would be the other piece of that camshaft dowel pin got wedged in there somewhere. He got it out when he took it apart. I'd be willing to bet that's what made it hang up.

Comment

Working...
                                X