PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320 aka The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Just a tick under 139K

Had a chirping sound when idling and giving it a tad of gas. Figured I would throw on a tensioner and idler pulley and new belt. Same sound still. lol Idler was screwed anyways super noisy so no loss there. Dug into the sound further and it is the drivers side exhaust. Will look into that when I have the motivation. Not going to lose an engine over it so it can wait.
    Found my chirping sound. Rotted off exhaust hangers on each side next to the transmission. The little rotted bits were rubbing on the exhaust under load and causing the sound. Exhaust pipe was unaffected.

Fabbed up new mounts and boogerwelded them into place. Smothered some high heat paint over it and called it good.

Pics of old:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3103.jpg   IMG_3104.jpg   IMG_3105.jpg   IMG_3106.jpg   IMG_3107.jpg  

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Couple days ago it started getting chilly around here so I turned the climate control to warm me up and nothing but cold air came out the whole drive to work.

Had this problem years back (2015 apparently) as I had already purchased the heater control valve to do this job but at the time it miraculously started working and worked up to date.

Have to remove the windshield wiper arms, the cowling and then the window wiper mechanism to gain access to the control valve. Four ports on the valve, two quick connects to the heater core, and one more quick connect to either the supply or return and one hose clamp for either supply or return. One electrical connector and the bugger is out.

Couple videos about it on the web and I think it should not be to big of a hassle to accomplish.
    ~David~

Still doesn’t sound like a walk in the park. I am betting you are one of the few Mercedes owners who do their own fixing.

My dad did some brake work on a 1972 280SE 4.5. I was about 15 or 16. A completely different animal than yours but I remember parts availability was horrible and it fault him the whole time. It was a nice car though. Fuel injected, four wheel disc, and a factory in dash cassette player (not 8-track).

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

electrically controlled valve with an internal bypass so coolant goes back to the engine when no heat is requested?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Still doesn’t sound like a walk in the park. I am betting you are one of the few Mercedes owners who do their own fixing.

My dad did some brake work on a 1972 280SE 4.5. I was about 15 or 16. A completely different animal than yours but I remember parts availability was horrible and it fault him the whole time. It was a nice car though. Fuel injected, four wheel disc, and a factory in dash cassette player (not 8-track).
    If you don't do the work yourself the job would cost more than the car is worth! Joking there but I am sure the dealer will take you for all your worth. I don't have the money to get a new Benz every time the lease runs out...

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    electrically controlled valve with an internal bypass so coolant goes back to the engine when no heat is requested?

Precisely. Electrical motor and some gears to control where the flow goes. During warmer weather I would imagine the core is bypassed completely. Culprit seems to be things seizing up in the works.
    ~David~

I'm pretty sure I watched from the side while a friend did this last winter. I don't remember it taking that long, even with all the sarcastic Mercedes remarks from us bystanders. That one was a 4 cyl diesel, so it might it be a bit of squeeze with a V6. Either way you're going to spill coolant everywhere.

While MB service prices might be horrendous, those cars aren't exactly rocket science to work on. Especially the E-class as the engine isn't knee deep under the cowl and windshield, like in Beemers.
    Like with any new-ish car, there's a load of stuff in the way before getting to anything.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

Where's the torque? torquelover's Avatar

Nice Benz. There’s a guy in Chicago with a twin to this that pounds the car over potholes. Warped perception something or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    I'm pretty sure I watched from the side while a friend did this last winter. I don't remember it taking that long, even with all the sarcastic Mercedes remarks from us bystanders. That one was a 4 cyl diesel, so it might it be a bit of squeeze with a V6. Either way you're going to spill coolant everywhere.

While MB service prices might be horrendous, those cars aren't exactly rocket science to work on. Especially the E-class as the engine isn't knee deep under the cowl and windshield, like in Beemers.
    Like with any new-ish car, there's a load of stuff in the way before getting to anything.
    Went well. Not as much coolant as I was expecting. Parked in the backyard which has a slight upwards angle to it. DOnt know if that helped or hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by torquelover View Post
    Nice Benz. There’s a guy in Chicago with a twin to this that pounds the car over potholes. Warped perception something or another.
    Thanks.

I checked out a couple of his videos. Pretty cool.

Changed the heater valve out today. Went well. No cursing smooth sailing. Heat is back.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3251.jpg  
    ~David~

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920