My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320 aka The Benz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A defect that took 15 years to show up?
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
      So it was just sitting there in the driveway when the epic fail happened? Holy smokes.
      Yes.

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
      Most likely a manufacturing defect.
      Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
      A defect that took 15 years to show up?
      This was my initial thought. Bizarre for a defect to show up this many years later.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Not all manufacturing defects will lead to immediate failure. Difficult to tell from the picture, but I'll bet you'd find some stress cracking if you took a really close up picture of where it broke.

Call it a defect helped along by daily use.
        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Benzo is back in action. Front struts and springs replaced and slapped in new rear shocks. Still waiting on one last rear spring, though I doubt I will change them out. Attempted to remove the necessary bits in order to get the spring out of the lower a arm and its a bear. One honkin' 12mm hex headed bolt through the knuckle and lower a arm to a 21 mm nut just is seized in place. Rear springs are most likely staying put.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

probably just a fatigue failure over time. Springs move a lot and eventually if you bend stuff it'll work harden and crack. Lucky it happened when and where it did.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

potholes in Dave's area are notorious by nature.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Made a last ditch attempt at replacing the rear coil springs by following this video below:

Fail.

The bolt securing the lower a arm is seized inside the bushing.

I am also glad I measure the toe ahead of time as I had a suspicion there was a cam for toe adjustment on that toe arms bracket to the subframe..... and I was right. I wish the damn video mentioned you would need to get an alignment afterwords.

The internet...cant trust it.

No worries though I just set the toe to how it was before and all is well again. Got to use my toe plates as well as my turn plates (wheel on top of plates that turn and allows you to make adjustments).

The rear springs will go in a box just in case I am FORCED to do the repair.
                Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-29-2019, 03:41 PM.
                ~David~

Comment

OH almost forgot.

The spare was out of air when I needed it to use to get the car in the back yard as the car was slammed due to the broken front spring. The valve stem on the tire was leaking.....

Ordered a new one (as it is a funky size) and I am now back in business....hope not to need it.

Attached Files
                  ~David~

Comment

Leave it to the Germans to use non-standard valve stems.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah tell me about it. I had to go out and buy special tools as well....large hex sockets, e torx, and triple square sockets. WTF!
                      ~David~

Comment

When I had to change valve stems on MBZ rims I never had to go to the dealer to get "special" valve stems for a MBZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
                          When I had to change valve stems on MBZ rims I never had to go to the dealer to get "special" valve stems for a MBZ.
                          Nor did I for the four driving wheels. The spare in the other hand requires a special uncommon size.
                          ~David~

Comment

Attempted and succeeded at replacing the rear springs....third times the charm I guess in my case.

This time I followed this lead: https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/...2#post-1879821

It is a bit sketchy but it did work and my rear springs are replaced!

The compression plates holding tight to the first rear spring I removed:

Old springs out...getting crusty looking down at the bottoms...

New springs in

Sitting pretty

If this method did not work I would have attempted dropping the sub frame as that would have been my only option left as the lower a arms bushing were seized at both ends. Doesn't matter now...Job is done. No fear of it breaking on me.
                            Attached Files
                            ~David~

Comment

I hate springs and spring compressors. They make me very nervous. Single best thing about air suspension, releasing stored energy is simple and safe.

Comment

I agree. Definitely need to be cautious. I did feel safer with this style as the spring really couldn't go anywhere. While handling it though I was weary if it would explode in my grasp.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X