PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320 aka The Benz

So...I was rear ended the other day...

Based upon my reaction I thought it was all over. Much to my amazement and satisfaction Barely any damage was done. I went for an estimate immediatly after the accident report was completed and it totaled to 808.40 which I was paid next day by the kid that hit me. It was already his second accident at 19yo and did not want this one to go though insurance.

Clear coat was spidered and I got two license plate fastener indentations as well as some scuffs from the guys front bumper and license plate.

Before fixing the damage myself

That mark front and center was actually there already! The spidering below it just above the bottom of the bumpers lip was not.

What damage is left after removing the paint transfer and sanding out with 3000 and compounding, polishing and waxing.

I am going to live with what damage is there. Not worth it to get repaired. Chances are I would not be happy anyways.

All in all you hardly notice anything from two feet out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2120.jpg   IMG_2121.jpg   IMG_2127.jpg   IMG_2130.jpg  
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I still find it hilarious listening to you cuss while driving because I've never noticed that when talking to you in person.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I donít think Iíve ever heard Dave swear before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 Lincoln Twon Car Signature Series - Purchased 07/29/19 at 69,500, current daily driver.
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Purchased 04/18/15 at 108,653, traded in 5/2/16 at 139,000.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Inherited 10/2009 at 105,000 totalled 4/30/10 at 120K, My dumbass fault.
    1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Purchased 6/26/11 at 82,610 totalled 4/16/15 at 137,000, Not my fault.

Every now and then you need to let some aggression out.

I figured since I have new lugs bolts that I should spare them from winter abuse. I evaoprusted the old lugs and prepped them for some chrome powder coat:

Only 16 as I will still use the same lock lugs over the winter...

And chromed:

And a quick view of some of the set up:

They came out nice. Just looking to keep rust off of them from staining my freshly powder coated winter wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lugs before.jpg   chrome lugs.jpg   powder set up.jpg  
    ~David~

nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

That is actually a better finish that I would have expected from a chrome powder.

So Mercedes doesn't cover the lugs? Audi uses a plastic cap over the heads of the bolts, there's a tool in the emergency kit just for pulling the caps, looks like a big pair of tweezers with a lip on the ends to slip under the caps and pull them. IIRC the neighbor's BMW had some sort of cover on them too. I guess I've never really paid much attention to them, I don't work on German stuff often enough to know if they are usually exposed or not.
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Thanks

These wheels use exposed lug bolts. Cannot comment on other mercedes wheels.

I coworker has a VW passat that uses something similar to what you are describing.
    ~David~

Removed the summer set up and popped on the new winter kicks I had redone back in April: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post828413

Summer up front...Winter in back:

And all complete:

Also have new spark plugs, plug wires as well as valve cover gaskets, pcv hoses an breather caps to reseal on top of the valve covers.

Had no idea this engine takes two plug wires and plugs per cylinder. Kinda gets expensive especially as I am getting direct original manufacturer replacements!

May get to that job this weekend. She is ready for an oil change too. 132,000 miles is a couple hundred miles away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2413.jpg   IMG_2414.jpg   IMG_2415.jpg   IMG_2416.jpg   IMG_2417.jpg  

~David~

How do you go about getting money from people in those situations? Is that not possible in Michigan due to no fault? Asking for a friend..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

How do you go about getting money from people in those situations? Is that not possible in Michigan due to no fault? Asking for a friend..
    You referring to the accident I was involved in a few months back?

This kid offered to pay me next day. Met him at the local park and I sat in his car and he signed the document I written up basically saying I wasn't going to fuck him over as I have received compensation. He then proceeded to offer me Mets tickets whenever I wanted. lol Was easy.
    ~David~

I post a lot...

MBZ's are bullet proof reliable but the parts are outrageisly expensive along with the servising at a MBZ shop.

Prepped the engine bay for the valve cover gasket, spark plug and wire replacement job I have coming up.

You can see a bunch of oil accumulating from the pcv breather covers on top of the valve covers (basically another valve cover above the real valve cover that uses silicone as a gasket and it dries out over time)

Driver side:

P.side:

Then all clean after a thorough degreasing and pressure washing.

Driver side:

P.side:

Cleaned up the car then as engine bay cleaning with a pressure washer sure is messy.

This morning I replaced the blower motor as it was chirping like a birdie in the dash in cold weather. Easy peasy. Two screws to remove the under dash panel, four screws to remove the blower motor cover (one was missing so only three) then four screws for the blower motor. Two last screws to swap the resistor over to the new blower. Done.

I didnt want to get into the valve cover gasket job as I dont have the time today. Will get to it eventually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2435.jpg   IMG_2436.jpg   IMG_2438.jpg   IMG_2439.jpg   IMG_2442.jpg  

IMG_2444.jpg   IMG_2449.jpg  
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 11-23-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    ~David~

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    You referring to the accident I was involved in a few months back?

This kid offered to pay me next day. Met him at the local park and I sat in his car and he signed the document I written up basically saying I wasn't going to fuck him over as I have received compensation. He then proceeded to offer me Mets tickets whenever I wanted. lol Was easy.
    Yep!

Oh, that's nice and convenient. I thought maybe you went the legal route. I've never had luck with people owning up to their mistakes..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Did the Deed yesterday. Went way easier than expected..faster too. 3 Hours in total which included completely cleaning the valve covers (and upper PCV covers) in my parts washer. I let the gasket maker cure over night.

Car runs nice and smooth so I at least didn't mess anything up. Unfortunately a chip in my windshield decided to spider out this morning after the first start up after the job was complete. Chip was there for over 3 months. Just couldn't hold on any more I guess. New windshield time come spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2494.jpg   IMG_2487.jpg   IMG_2488.jpg   IMG_2489.jpg  
    ~David~

Fun. I need to do a blower motor in the Continental but its a real PITA so I've been ignoring it. Last year I drilled a small hole in the fan blade so I could poke an extended tube from an oil can back there. It worked for a while but its getting unhappy again.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Fun. I need to do a blower motor in the Continental but its a real PITA so I've been ignoring it. Last year I drilled a small hole in the fan blade so I could poke an extended tube from an oil can back there. It worked for a while but its getting unhappy again.
    How big of a pita? Dash Removal?

Make the temporary fix a monthly staple?
    ~David~

The blower motor is up against the firewall on the inside. Basically I have to peel the dash away from the firewall so I can take the HVAC crap loose to peel it far enough out to clear the motor. Shooting oil in there is a whole lot easier, but this time I'll have to use something that doesn't smell so much. PB Blaster has a scent that lingers.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819