No announcement yet.

My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320 aka The Benz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago they taught us when taking off at a railroad crossing to just give the truck all she can safely handle, like we're at the races but bit more responsible - the idea was to gain as much momentum as possible, so should something happen we got enough speed to carry us to the other side instead of erecting a massive barricade on wheels to test the train's brakes and the engineer's reaction time. Of course all of our trucks were spec'd for heavy haulage so pulling 30 or so tons with something designed to be able to handle double that (thank you Sisu axles!) did allow us plenty of freedom for hot-rodding, but still, point is that when you can't safely pull over you just got no choice to to keep going no matter the costs. Long bridges and tunnels always bug me for that very reason.

WTF is up with that police car in the right lane tho? Jesus, I've seen military equipment with less shit on the roof!
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Kind of reminds me of the time I got a flat in The Scab earlier this year. Found a nice gash in the middle of the tread so it must have been something I ran over but didn't see. I knew something was wrong but wasn't sure what until I saw chunks of rubber in the rear view mirror.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Had time to get the punctured tire dismounted and a minty fresh one installed. Remember this one:

Look what I found inside!

Tire machine ripped through the sidewall of the tire due to its rigidity being compromised by me driving on it while flat:

What is this piece?

Its long:

Anyways I am all normaled up. Now to find an odd clunk coming from the passengers side wheel area. Hear it while going softly over bumps.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Inspected the suspension on the Benz and the clunk I am hearing is coming from the passengers side front thrust arm.

I replaced the drivers side thrust arm not too long ago and at the time the passengers side one was okay. Thread on that here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post783614
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That's how it goes sometimes, the good factory parts remain good only for a short while after you inspect them. At least now you're proficient in that job, so you should be able to bull thru it pretty quick and easy.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

well that would certainly explain why the tire went flat quickly.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                well that would certainly explain why the tire went flat quickly.
                This! Dayum.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Inspected the suspension on the Benz and the clunk I am hearing is coming from the passengers side front thrust arm.

I replaced the drivers side thrust arm not too long ago and at the time the passengers side one was okay. Thread on that here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post783614

Replaced the passengers side thrust arm this morning. The ball joint was toast on it. The boot split in two and the inside was rusty and had no grease at all. All is well now, no clunky clunk over bumps.
                  ~David~

Comment

SHOT.
                    ~David~

Comment

Is that the ball joint or the end that attaches to the chassis? Looks like a dead ball and socket type joint whatever end it lives on. Also looks distinctly non-serviceable.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That be one of the lower ball joints that attach to the spindle. Here is a pictures I had on hand from when the drivers side one was replaced. Its the shiny new one just to be clear. It deads off to the frame much like the other lower control arm looking thing which has the stabilizer bar end link on it as well as the strut.

~David~

Comment

two ball joints? How does that even rotate?

Comment

Hurst my head thinking about how the hell that works too.
                            ~David~

Comment

Passed 110K on her the other day coming home from work.

And coming home from work today I got a message on the dash saying Left low beam is out. Sure enough it was so I replaced it. Then the Left parking lamp went out...replaced that too and now all is well for the time being.

Picked up two H7's as I suspect the other one could go at any moment. At least I will have it handy now and not have to make a special trip to purchase one.
                              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                two ball joints? How does that even rotate?
                                Think of it as a horizontal trapezoid unconstrained across the diagonal - the ball joints are on the narrow top, frame is the wide base, the arms are the sides. The idea is for the bottom of the wheel to walk-back and forth as you negotiate conrerns and such, the idea is for caster to change dynamically all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X