Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first post

Howdy,

My Mom can no longer drive her 1987 Grand Marquis white two door with 59k miles, so reconditioning is now another project for me. Currently at the top of the list is a hanging rf wheel, a tapping engine sound which I'm guessing is sticky lifter, and an intermittent miss when hot and under load. Could the tapping be caused by two leaks in the air pump system? Do those emission things pulse or flow?
    1987 Grand Marquis LS two door, trying to get to the 60,000 mile mark.

I'm not sure if the smog pump pulses or flows air into the pipes, but you definitely hear and feel poot-poot-poots of air coming out of the seemingly empty nipple on the air pump, that's normal. How does the tapping noise respond to rpms and load? If it is a sticky lifter, sometimes and engine flush will quiet them down. The load-miss could be bad plug wires, or any other ignition parts. Do you know its tune-up/service history?

The car sounds sweet - what color interior? Any pictures?
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Welcome!
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post

I'm not sure if the smog pump pulses or flows air into the pipes, but you definitely hear and feel poot-poot-poots of air coming out of the seemingly empty nipple on the air pump, that's normal. How does the tapping noise respond to rpms and load? If it is a sticky lifter, sometimes and engine flush will quiet them down. The load-miss could be bad plug wires, or any other ignition parts. Do you know its tune-up/service history?

what he said.

Glad to see you're carrying the torch with your mom's car. These are a great way to get into the classic car hobby, as they're still relatively cheap and easy to repair, but are getting more looks and thumbs up by the day. Two door merc's are one of the rarest breeds, too.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Two door MGM?! I am jelly, wanna trade?

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
          1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post

Thanks for the reply. One air pump leak is from the secondary check valve nipple rotted away, which I'll try to reseal with duct tape, while another is in the down pipe just before the Y split to the driver side cat. conv. The miss develops after about a half hour of stop and go warm up. I have service records from day 1 (9-87), and if I recall, tuneup stuff was several years ago, but only a few thousand miles. The records aren't where the computer is, so I'll check later. The interior is tan cloth. pictures will eventually be posted after clean up.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0077.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1274296Jim,
              Welcome to the asylum from another GM Tudor owner! As yours is the last year of manufacture, you have the rarest of the rare!

Comment

Originally posted by jim View Post
                Thanks for the reply. One air pump leak is from the secondary check valve nipple rotted away, which I'll try to reseal with duct tape, while another is in the down pipe just before the Y split to the driver side cat. conv. The miss develops after about a half hour of stop and go warm up. I have service records from day 1 (9-87), and if I recall, tuneup stuff was several years ago, but only a few thousand miles. The records aren't where the computer is, so I'll check later. The interior is tan cloth. pictures will eventually be posted after clean up.
                While I've since replaced mine (<$20 from rockauto), I fixed my leaking check valve by sanding away the rust and smothering it in JB weld. That may be more permanent.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

I didn't find any ignition tune up records, so perhaps throwing some parts at it will cure the hot, under-load miss. Would plugs and wires be a proper first round? Yesterday was consumed with a right front caliper replacement due to a hanging wheel. The rotor looks like it's a replacement candidate from "hot spots," but it seems integral with the hub, so I may stretch a few miles more before an expensive part replacement. I'm thinking of pulling the air pump and trying for a shorter belt. Has anyone done this, and if so, what size belt worked?

Comment

Good rotors are like 50 a piece.

Comment

the rotor/hub assembly isn't spendy, but with new bearings and grease might be a bit more than you really want to spend depending on your financial situation. If it's not warped, don't worry about it. Plugs and wires may not be all that bad... take the hood bulb out and open the hood at night with it running and spray a mist of water to see if the wires are bad (you'll see little arcs all over the wires if they're bad). Check the vacuum lines for cracks and broken lines first as that's usually the main issue that causes crappy running in these cars.

I had to pull my smog pump when it seized. I put a 56inch belt on. a 56.5 or 57 inch belt might work better to get over the pulley without the shenanigans I had to go through.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sly, thanks for the tips about wires and vacuum lines. I-I-R-C, I can spray some ether or something on the vacuum lines to detect a leak if it results in an rpm bump. I broke the under hood bulb trying to remove it, so that's not a worry.

Comment

propane works for the vacuum hunting too... just be ready with the valve to shut it off if needed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm replacing the steelies with turbines and just noticed the turbines are one half inch wider. Thus the larger tires (225/70/15) should fit better. The locking wire wheel covers will soon be surplus. What are they worth?

Comment

If the wire wheel covers are in mint condition, $100 for the set would be reasonable. Much more and you will be sitting on them for awhile.

Originally posted by jim View Post
                              I'm replacing the steelies with turbines and just noticed the turbines are one half inch wider. Thus the larger tires (225/70/15) should fit better. The locking wire wheel covers will soon be surplus. What are they worth?

Comment

Working...
                              X