Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The spare tire well is supposed to have one drain hole, so if you are lucky that may be all. Mine was thin and rusty on the 88 so it got a few coats of fiberglass inside and undercoat outside.
    I've heard of only one wagon without 11in rear brakes; that may been an axle swap at some point. I bet you have 11in too.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Well...an offer too good to refuse has come up for the '97, so that's going bye-bye soon (tentatively next Saturday). $250, he's trailering it away, and will be returning the rear axle to me once he's got the car in his shop. I bought it for $480 plus a 1G regulator, got a good set of tires and wheels out of it, and this guy needs a steering column plus has the easy means (trailer, winch and so on) to haul it in for scap when he's done with it, so he'll easily get a chunk (or all?) of that 250 back. Especially since it's still got cats.

I'm abandoning the idea of keeping the 4.6+4R70W, I just don't have the room and realistically I'll be perpetually "getting around to" a swap project but never really do it. So, this is the best possible outcome. I get my driveway space back, my net expenditure for the wheels+tires+axle will be reasonable ($250), and I'm going to see if he'll also give me back the spindles etc. for a medium brake upgrade on one of my others. If he's got no issue dragging it around with no axle in it, he shouldn't mind about the front end either.

I was studying that engine bay and I really don't think modulars are for me. Through extensive troubleshooting and maintenance I've got the 302 Panther engine bay burned into my brain, following wires and accessing stuff is second nature to me now. 4.6 is huge and bleh.

Regardless, there will be other places to get engines from. Right now cash and space are worth more to me.

Current driver: wagon
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

There are a whole lot less wires and nonsense to deal with on a 302 as well. Those new cars are nice, but man, the volume of wiring is unreal.

Alex.

Comment

I get to live both worlds. Admittedly, encountering the 302 for the first time looked daunting, simply due to my lack of familiarity of it. Now I'm comfortable working on it as much as a 4.6.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I mean...I fell in love with that car (the 97) for how it drove/drives. But the car is beyond salvation, needs a complete suspension rebuild, torque box is swiss cheese plus another hole in the frame elsewhere, bad floor and body rust (doing donuts, car filled with tire smoke from under back seat).

I wanted to put the attributes I liked so much about it (essentially engine+trans+axle) into one of my other cars so that's where that idea came from. But I think the axle by itself will still be an upgrade. 3.27 open with the disc brakes, vs 3.08 in all my others.

Yikes. I can actually refer to my cars as "all" and it's appropriate for the quantity...

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

84 LTC

Well. Pulled up to a store tonight, turned off car, walked away. Lights turned off but the doors didn't shut. They were being held open with vacuum force, not just the spring pressure holding them normally open.

Got home, poked around a bit. Found the EEC diode I used to make it so both the high beams and low beams could trigger the doors to open had melted.

I'll need to revisit that circuit design and see if I can figure out why that happened. Possibilities:

-Donor vehicle of the diode might have upstream voltage regulation to keep it at 12V even when engine is running. If so, the charging voltage (14 and change) gradually overwhelmed the diode.
              -Diode was flaky to begin with
              -Some other thing I've overlooked.

In the meantime I'm back to only having the doors open for the low beams.

The weird thing is that the doors refused to close. I would have expected, in the event of diode failure, the doors to refuse to open for high beams but otherwise work normally. Weird.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

That is weird..
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

or you need a bigger diode (higher wattage)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, much higher amperage. Thats probably a 3 or 5 amp part max. Depending how you hooked it up, if that needs to carry the full load of the lighting circuit you probably want at least 20 amps capacity. That tends to put you into stud mount rectifier territory wanting a heat sink, and you've got voltage loss across the diode as well, probably a volt, volt and a half easily.

Hard to find a diode rated under 100 volts anymore. The little cheap ones I buy for everything are 1 amp at 1000 volts and they're pennies.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I could have sworn I wired this so the only current the diode would see is the relays (the headlamps and high beams are relayed now). But I must have overlooked a load somewhere else.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

97 Vic departure

Bye!

$250 in my wallet, and once he's got it on a hoist, the axle, fuel tank and wheels are coming back to me. I did decent I'd say.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

Aha! The feeds to the headlamp valve box are on the switched side of the relays. This means the diode had to fight letting current flow to the high beam bulbs themselves, not just the high beam relay.

Should be a straightforward fix.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

That would do it. Relay current vs filament current is a big difference.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's alarmingly easy to spend $400 on RockAuto. Ask me how I know! (please don't)

I did stumble upon something nifty...95-97 reman front calipers, with brackets, with pads, for 20 CAD a pop with no core charge. Bought 2 of each side. Lincoln is (sooner or later) getting the medium brake upgrade and so is one of the others cars that I haven't decided yet (wagon most likely depending on how shot its suspension stuff is). That will leave one car with stock box brakes, looking like the 2dr. Still not sure what the long term strategy is with that car. It looks good on turbines. Hell, they all look good on turbines.

But, I still have the old calipers off the 91 from when I Big-Brake-Swapped it (98-02) a couple years ago. Those calipers, pads, hoses were new only a year or so before that. So they are probably a viable option to put the wagon on the road then figure out mods later.

I am so, so glad to have the driveway space back from the 97 leaving. I can work on a car without having to move two to make it possible now (most of my driveway is gravel, and needs to remain so for drainage reasons).

Against my thrifty instincts, a wagon fuel tank is in the mail. I've been watching RockAuto nearly daily, and the Spectra tanks just jumped in price, and all but one of the cheaper (Platinum Pro? LKQ house brand) sold, so I decided to jump on that. $101 USD shipped. Not bad if I need it. When I drop the tank, I'll almost be upset if it turns out I don't need it though. The trend of availability on those doesn't look to be heading in a favourable direction though so it's not such a bad thing to have.
                              Last edited by kishy; 08-23-2017, 03:39 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

I've retired this thread in favour of individual ones per-vehicle:

1983 Grand Marquis 2dr
                                1984 Town Car
                                1985 Country Squire
                                1985 Ranger
                                1991 Grand Marquis

If a mod wishes to close this one, feel free, I won't be using it anymore (and others shouldn't either).

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X