PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My Rides

The spare tire well is supposed to have one drain hole, so if you are lucky that may be all. Mine was thin and rusty on the 88 so it got a few coats of fiberglass inside and undercoat outside.
    I've heard of only one wagon without 11in rear brakes; that may been an axle swap at some point. I bet you have 11in too.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - yard ornament (save me please)
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

formerly blkpnthr

Well...an offer too good to refuse has come up for the '97, so that's going bye-bye soon (tentatively next Saturday). $250, he's trailering it away, and will be returning the rear axle to me once he's got the car in his shop. I bought it for $480 plus a 1G regulator, got a good set of tires and wheels out of it, and this guy needs a steering column plus has the easy means (trailer, winch and so on) to haul it in for scap when he's done with it, so he'll easily get a chunk (or all?) of that 250 back. Especially since it's still got cats.

I'm abandoning the idea of keeping the 4.6+4R70W, I just don't have the room and realistically I'll be perpetually "getting around to" a swap project but never really do it. So, this is the best possible outcome. I get my driveway space back, my net expenditure for the wheels+tires+axle will be reasonable ($250), and I'm going to see if he'll also give me back the spindles etc. for a medium brake upgrade on one of my others. If he's got no issue dragging it around with no axle in it, he shouldn't mind about the front end either.

I was studying that engine bay and I really don't think modulars are for me. Through extensive troubleshooting and maintenance I've got the 302 Panther engine bay burned into my brain, following wires and accessing stuff is second nature to me now. 4.6 is huge and bleh.

Regardless, there will be other places to get engines from. Right now cash and space are worth more to me.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM | 97 CV

There are a whole lot less wires and nonsense to deal with on a 302 as well. Those new cars are nice, but man, the volume of wiring is unreal.

Alex.

I get to live both worlds. Admittedly, encountering the 302 for the first time looked daunting, simply due to my lack of familiarity of it. Now I'm comfortable working on it as much as a 4.6.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (320K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold; Restoration Under Way
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (185K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 POTM Winner

formerly blkpnthr

I mean...I fell in love with that car (the 97) for how it drove/drives. But the car is beyond salvation, needs a complete suspension rebuild, torque box is swiss cheese plus another hole in the frame elsewhere, bad floor and body rust (doing donuts, car filled with tire smoke from under back seat).

I wanted to put the attributes I liked so much about it (essentially engine+trans+axle) into one of my other cars so that's where that idea came from. But I think the axle by itself will still be an upgrade. 3.27 open with the disc brakes, vs 3.08 in all my others.

Yikes. I can actually refer to my cars as "all" and it's appropriate for the quantity...

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM | 97 CV

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567