X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 LTC 3G Upgrade

It fits very well!

The paint match is closer on the passenger side, I can only imagine that's the side they scanned for blending purposes. On the driver side the difference is very visible depending on lighting. Oh well. It's better than the flaking clearcoat beater look it was rocking previously.

Picked up two junkyard '94 Taurus/Sable 3.0 Vulcan alternators with pigtails, which are the smaller 130A variety. I then extracted the charge cables out of two newer Tauruses, ca. 2002, because the cable is a lot easier to dig out of the newer years. The alternators were taken to AutoZone to be tested and both came back OK. One is for the Town Car, the other is for the '83, since poor idle voltage makes the sequential turn signals angry.

Townie's upgrade is done minus ground upgrade; I'm not sure it's truly necessary but will get to it sooner or later. I didn't go 3G to get more juice out of it overall, just to get more out of it at low RPM specifically.

Took apart my harness, eliminated the charge wire and everything relating to the external regulator. Spliced the choke cap wire into the stator wire (in retrospect should have fused this in case of a short, but Ford didn't see fit to so I'm sure it's fine). The internal regulator wants to get battery (+) on one of the wires; for this I just looped it back to the charge wire stud. Alternator is fused with a 150A ANL fuse, which I figure exceeds the highest output I might try to suck out of this thing.

I have previously found that a "50.7" inch belt - 6K507, K060507 - fits this exact alternator when installed in my '91 Grand Marquis. I don't know why, but that didn't work on the '84. Something to do with the other pulley sizes I guess. I tried notching the lower bracket so the alternator could swing over further, no go. Ended up swapping the pulley which isn't a solution I like because it means a roadside swap in case of failure is impossible, but whatever. Thankfully I have air and an impact gun, otherwise I'd have had to abort and put the 1G back.

All-in-all, easily done. Also found the headlamp door "release valve" was leaking and eliminated it for a couple of unions instead...if I need to force the doors open I can just pull the line off the check valve.

Getting things together:
    Also note the somewhat visible headlamp door module, as well as the ziptied-on red wire that's for the low oil level switch, as this is a Crown Vic harness. The yellow ziptied-on wire is the constant hot for the headlamp door module and is a temporary solution. Yes, it's fused. You can also see my not-a-fuse-link, and my spare MAP sensor, lol.

Alt vs alt:

Stock harness (85 LTD CV; 84 functional equivalent; LTC has extra wire for oil level)
    Laid out left-to-right as it sits in the car

Altered harness (same as above, with alternator stuff removed, except the wire to the light in the cluster)

Fuse

Tada!

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

84 LTC @ Michigan Central Station

| 88 TC | 91 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

The car is looking good.

I've had different sized pulleys on all 3 3G alternators that I have had. All were supposed to be for a '95 Mustang GT. The smallest one was slightly bigger than the pulley on the 2G it replaced but the stock size belt still fit.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Looking good man. I love those taillights, two bulbs per lense and crisp lines, how it should be. Train depot has windows now. Hmm. You stop into Slows or Mercury bar? They've got some decent ground round.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            The car is looking good.

I've had different sized pulleys on all 3 3G alternators that I have had. All were supposed to be for a '95 Mustang GT. The smallest one was slightly bigger than the pulley on the 2G it replaced but the stock size belt still fit.
            That's what's weird, it's the same pulley size as on my '91. One or more of the other pulleys must be different, or the brackets position them a little different.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            Looking good man. I love those taillights, two bulbs per lense and crisp lines, how it should be. Train depot has windows now. Hmm. You stop into Slows or Mercury bar? They've got some decent ground round.
            Yeah, Moroun put windows in as part of a bri(cough) exchange with the City of Detroit, as I recall.

Haven't been to either but my buddy I was with when taking these pointed out Mercury and mentioned the same.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

I've been to Slows a few times. Good stuff. At every table you have a selection of a bunch (half dozen maybe) of different BBQ sauces. The apple bbq is probably my favorite, but I thought they were all good; the spicy could use a bit more spice though.

The belt I'm currently running is ACDelco 6K507. It was perfect for the old used 3G that I recently replaced which was adjusted just slightly past center on the braket, but the new replacement 3G I installed a couple weeks ago is adjusted closer to the end of the bracket with the same belt.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                I've been to Slows a few times. Good stuff. At every table you have a selection of a bunch (half dozen maybe) of different BBQ sauces. The apple bbq is probably my favorite, but I thought they were all good; the spicy could use a bit more spice though.

The belt I'm currently running is ACDelco 6K507. It was perfect for the old used 3G that I recently replaced which was adjusted just slightly past center on the braket, but the new replacement 3G I installed a couple weeks ago is adjusted closer to the end of the bracket with the same belt.
                Hmm...Metro Detroit Area Panther meet location potential?

6K507 (well, K060507) is the belt I used on the 91, and the belt I have now installed on the 84, but the difference is on the 84 it couldn't come close to fitting without a pulley swap. Same brand in each case too (Gates).

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Loving this car. Nice work on the harness.

Is that spiral wrap on the harness from the drivers side inner fender leading over to the engine, or just hastily applied electrical tape?
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                    Hmm...Metro Detroit Area Panther meet location potential?
                    I'd be down for that. Been at least a year since we've had one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Loving this car. Nice work on the harness.

Is that spiral wrap on the harness from the drivers side inner fender leading over to the engine, or just hastily applied electrical tape?
                      It's spiral wrap lol. I was finishing up and realized I had 25 minutes to get to some dinner plans, so I had to put it together in a hurry.

At the end of the day I didn't do too bad. I left the single wire (oil level) out because I want to clean up how I've done that particular hackjob.

One day I want to refurb my original 84 harness and put it back in, so the wire colours will match the EVTM. Currently my memory is a better reference than the EVTM and that's a bad way to be.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

I would do what I can to make it to a local meet (non-local won't be in the cards for me any time soon), but can't make any promises this summer. Our last meet was 6 cars. Two of those members have since moved out of state and the rest I don't really hang out on here anymore. Even though The Ice Car is a rotting pile (neither car looks as nice as the sig pics), I would probably bring it because that's the car I have done my most interesting mods on.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Seemed like more cars than that.. Panthers be getting scarce around these parts. Although I saw someone in an ice blue Marquis like yours this morning on Gratiot. Sounded like he was attempting to race so I had to smoke him.

Comment

It was just You, Ashely, Mark, Vitas, Kyle, and me. My wife was there and Vitas' girlfriend was sort of there (went next door to get nails done or something). Mark and Vitas moved out of state (although Mark didn't go too far), Kyle came all the way from out of state but hasn't been on here in a while now that he's pantherless.

Late May-June and the weekend of Aug 12 are all out for me.
                            I posted a new thread in the GMN Events subforum, so we can move our BS out of Kevin's thread.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Oh yeah, I remember the nails chick. Kyle damn near fell off the face of the earth roughly since then, well after he sold his '99.

I'll work on migrating to said thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                Will the Town Car grille fit in place of the Mark IV one? I like the look.
                                Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                                I don't know for sure yet but am going to be investigating this. The Mark VI one "feels like it looks wider" but I'm pretty sure it's just an illusion.
                                It occurs to me that I didn't post the follow-up on this.

The Mark VI and Town Car grilles (as assemblies of surround + inner part) do fit on each other's header panels. However, there are two pegs that act as keys which prevent you doing that, probably intended to prevent the factory building the car wrong. With minor alterations that would not be visible once assembled, you could install one on the other.

As for swapping the grille inside of the surround, I did not test fit that but I'm pretty sure it's also doable.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X