Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1987 Town Car Trunk Won't Open. Trunk motor dead. Key not popping lid either.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 Town Car Trunk Won't Open. Trunk motor dead. Key not popping lid either.

I went out to my car this morning and popped the trunk with the keyless entry. I heard a faint pop from the motor (less audible than normal) and the trunk did not open. I've attempted several times to open it with the key and it will not pop the lid open now. Any ideas?
    87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
    Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

try pushing down on it to re-set the latch and try again maybe? Possibly it half unlatched and is stuck that way.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery might also reset it too.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I'll try. Thanks.
        87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
        Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Still can't get it open. Guess i'm gonna have to drill the rivets out of the trunk lock and hope I can pop it somehow.

Comment

those rivets hold the trim piece on. The lock itself is retained from the inside with a clip. Drilling the rivets won't get you any further than you are currently. honestly not sure what to suggest here. There isn't a lot you can get to even with the cylinder out that you can't do now. Problem seems to be with the latch assembly, so really you need to get at that in order to pop it. Not much of a way into the trunk via other means either. Maybe if you are extremely small or have freakishly long arms you can get in if the back seat is removed. You'd have an easier time sending in a very handy and very small 3 year old though.

I wonder if there might be a way to hot-wire the trunk sucker motor to wind the trunk to the up position though. The connector for that is over on the passenger side trunk hinge area. You may be able to reach that from the back seat. Without looking at the wiring, I don't know if you can power through that to get it to go though. THat wire is for the switch in the latch to start it going, the one on top of the luggage cruncher motor is what stops it.
            Last edited by gadget73; 05-18-2014, 08:52 AM.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well. Thanks for the heads up on that Gadget before I messed up my trimpiece for no reason. I am skeptical that there is any access through the rear seat. We'll see..

Comment

there is very little. You can probably reach an arm in there to grab something, but thats likely about it. You may be able to get at the connector near the hinge for the trunk sucker but thats probably about the limit.

Comment

I think going through the back seat area is the way you will have to go. From there it will be easy to get the trunk open. I hope you are skinny.

Comment

and by skinny... have access to some tools that will actually allow you to reach stuff once you get the back seat out of the way. Taking the rear deck carpet off will gain a few more holes for accessing stuff too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I ended up getting the seat out and borrowing a "sidewinder" 90 degree internal gear device that allowed me to get onto the 7/16 bolts. Now I need to replace the actuator. Any ideas? Is it available.

Comment

VicCrownVic solved the problem for me. It is a one wire unit with the ground being the body and the bolt. When it loosened and fell out, it was no longer actuating. Problem solved. Thanks VicCrownVic.

Comment

It must have lost ground in the middle of actuating, that would explain why you couldn't get in with the key and why the sound you heard before it stopped didn't sound the same, half actuation sound instead of full.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

It came loose and fell off. No contact. No ground. No actuation.

Comment

I thought the gas tank is between the back seat and trunk preventing access ?

Comment

Working...
                              X