No announcement yet.

air bag light intermittently comes on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good threads never really die... they just sleep for a while.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

dang straight
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        nope. they changed that up in 92. only 79-91 4-eyes will light all 4 on high.
        Since it's up for the moment, this one has always interested me.

I'm well aware of the '92-'94 cars doing the low beams off with high beams, but I've encountered a few people with '95-'97 models who said their cars work like the '92-'94 models. On another forum someone thought I was crazy when I mentioned all four of my lights are on with the high beams, as their late Aero didn't do that. I've been curious if there is some weird differences in the '95-'96 LCMs versus '97.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Since we're here...to be technical...the boxes turn the low beams off when the high beams are on.

The low beam lamp contains two filaments, one low and one high. Therefore, the high beams are just high beams. It just so happens that Ford specced a dual filament lamp and that's why we get four that light up.

The exception is flash to pass, where the highs come on in addition to the lows.

So electrically speaking, the lows are not on when the highs are on. The circuit is therefore probably more similar to the pre-LCM Aeros than one would readily assume. What I don't know is how many filaments an early area "normal headlight bulb" has.
          Last edited by kishy; 11-07-2018, 02:35 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
            Since we're here...to be technical...the boxes turn the low beams off when the high beams are on.

The low beam lamp contains two filaments, one low and one high. Therefore, the high beams are just high beams. It just so happens that Ford specced a dual filament lamp and that's why we get four that light up.

The exception is flash to pass, where the highs come on in addition to the lows.

So electrically speaking, the lows are not on when the highs are on. The circuit is therefore probably more similar to the pre-LCM Aeros than one would readily assume. What I don't know is how many filaments an early area "normal headlight bulb" has.
            Regarding the Boxes, IIRC, the "high beam" filament on the low beam lamps are 35W, which is why they appear considerably dimmer than the high beam only lamps, as the normal low beam filament is 55W. I know the low beam lamps don't really help much when the high beam lamps are switched on normally.

The Aeros used a 9006 bulb on the low beam and a 9005 bulb on the high beam, so just a single filament for each position.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

yeah... the actual circuitry between the boxes and early aeros is pretty much exactly the same except for the updated autolamp relay. Just the single filament lows on the aeros.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X