No announcement yet.

1984 Ford LTD Cv startup proplem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the white paste was cleaned off the old location on the dizzy and new goop that came with the new TFI applied?

next thing to check is if it's getting crank power. If you can turn the key to ON and jump the starter solenoid on the fender (jump the large lug closer to the battery to the small pin at top) and the car runs... then crank power is your issue and we're looking at an ignition switch (in the steering column - not the key hole) or a relay/wiring issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yep, i cleaned the location for the new tfi and applied the silicon that came with it.

Comment

Does it have spark? Find that out before you go further.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okei so i checked again if i were getting spark after i changed the TFI Module. And i am getting spark,he Still dsn't start just cranks. I just tryed turning the distrib clockwise and he bearly started for 4-5 seconds and then died, to get him to start for theese 4-5 second i had to put the petal to the metal while starting, and then he died after 4-5 seconds..

What is going on good fellas ?
          Last edited by Ingvi-Vic84; 06-16-2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Could it be Bad EGR Sensor or valve ?

Comment

Id clean the EGR valve real good, in case shes stuck and filthy with carbon. Is the fuel pump strong? Whats the psi at the schrader valve before a cold start?

Comment

Is the distributor installed correctly? If it was removed and re-installed in the wrong position, it won't start. Find top dead center on the #1 cylinder and verify that the rotor points towards the #1 spark plug tower. If it does not, pull the distributor and re-drop it. Also verify that the plug wires are run correctly. It won't go if the firing order is mixed up.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i did get it running, It only starts if u floor it, (else it just cranks) and goes slowly up in RPM, once it has reach'ed high rpm it runs normaly above 1500 RPM but lower than that and it chokes. It has correct distrib position and all the spark plug wires are correct.
                  Im complitly lost..

Another question.. I'm gona change to carburator, And i've read that i need lokar TV cable and Bracket on my carb for the Overdrive. ( http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...4000/overview/ ) I found a Original carb of 1974 302. Does anyone know if that bracket fits that carb or only Holley and edelbrock ?

Many thanks- Ingvi.

Comment

Are you getting fuel at the carb? How is the compression of the cylinders?

Is there slop in the timing chain? 84 has the plastic timing gears. You can do a quick check by seeing if there's any lag between when the crank pulley turns and the distributor rotor spins.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

are you sure the firing order is correct? it doesn't use the HO firing order.
                      should be 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The firing order is correct, I have not checked the compression, and it is getting fuel to the Cfi system.. :/

Comment

the spark plugs are black and fuel smelly, and the car chokes on low rmp, and when it were on like 3-5000 rpm a black smoke came out of the exhauts.. isint he getting to much fuel ?

How should i fix that?

and how can it be getting to much fuel when nothing really happened before it ran normaly ?

Comment

Working...
                          X