OD shifting issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OD shifting issue?

01 GM....shift GREAT into every gear..except around 38 the OD wants to kick in and I get a bit of a double shift. If that makes sense. nothing terrible. Almost like a slip but not? I can turn OD off and none of that issue. No warning lights are on. Maybe just a fluid change will help? TIA
    2001 Grand Marquis LS

I believe if you aren't getting any check engine light that rules out any option of lockup or pressure solenoid. Just changing the filter and reusing the fluid may do it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
    1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

sounds almost like you're feeling overdrive engage and then the converter lock up. If thats what it is, its not abnormal.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        sounds almost like you're feeling overdrive engage and then the converter lock up. If thats what it is, its not abnormal.
        Fluid change should help?
        2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

my 02 does that. it feels like it shifts 5 times when the converter locks.
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

If you don't know how old the fluid is, get it changed. The 4R70W's are sensitive to shitty fluid.
            Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
            Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
            Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
            Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Service is a good idea for general maintenance reasons, but no idea if it will change how it shifts. I wouldn't be particularly concerned about it if its not shuddering though.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Service is a good idea for general maintenance reasons, but no idea if it will change how it shifts. I wouldn't be particularly concerned about it if its not shuddering though.
                No shuddering at all.....just sort of shifts in and out of OD at around 38 with easy driving.
                2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

your brake lights don't flicker do they? And you don't drive 2 footed by chance? If the brake light switch is activated, it will disengage the torque converter. Riding with a foot on the pedal or just having a flaky switch can sometimes cause that to happen.

Comment

your brake lights don't flicker do they? And you don't drive 2 footed by chance? If the brake light switch is activated, it will disengage the torque converter. Riding with a foot on the pedal or just having a flaky switch can sometimes cause that to happen.
                    i dont brake two footed. i havent checked the flickering....i will scope that out
                    2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Tonight she wanted to slip a bit with cruise control on and in OD. So fluid change next week. Hopefully that's all she needs.
                      2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Time for a Jmod and install Sonnax shift valves.

2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                          Time for a Jmod and install Sonnax shift valves.

I'm not confident enough in my skills for a jmod....maybe I can find someone nearby that I trust to work on it.
                          2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                          X