Coolant type...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant type...

I have been searching for the proper coolant and came across a HUGE thread on crownvic.net about what type to use/not use. honestly it made my head hurt. Anyone have a cliff notes version as to what I should/shouldn't use?
    2001 Grand Marquis LS

I wasn't aware there was a special coolant type for our cars. I've been rocking a mix of Peak 50/50 and Autozone 50/50 since I changed the hoses with no problems.

Edit: Just saw this was in the 4.6L forum. Same still applies for me. I've used random diluted concentrate or 50/50 mixes in my '94 and '97 TownCars and never over heated or had any issues YMMV...
    Last edited by slack; 05-30-2014, 02:09 AM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

It's a crazy long thread over there. something about g-05 coolant and gold coolant and orange coolant and Caterpillar coolant...just..wow...
      2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

I'm running Prestone in my 04. Seems to be doing fine. I've read some of that thread.... a bit of overkill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Get the 5 year stuff, do all hoses and belts. Mark the rad when the next change is due.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Didn't know our cars were that picky about coolant. I went down to the local Advance Auto and picked up some of the plain ol' green shit and a gallon of distilled water. Poured them both in and forgot about it. No overheating. Just don't use DexCool.
            Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
            Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
            Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
            Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

I prefer the pre-mixed... but yeah... they're not that picky. just as long as it's the green stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Isn't Scotty a huge fan of Dexcool?? LOL!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  I prefer the pre-mixed... but yeah... they're not that picky. just as long as it's the green stuff.
                  You do know that you are paying about 3 times as much for the pre-mixed stuff as what you can mix your own for right?
                  Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                    Isn't Scotty a huge fan of Dexcool?? LOL!!
                    That shit is made by the devil. Never will I use it.
                    Nick

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                      You do know that you are paying about 3 times as much for the pre-mixed stuff as what you can mix your own for right?
                      There isn't much difference here in the price...I go with 50/50 in my brother's truck and he has an '89 Burban. I just don't wantt to mess anything up. I have NO clue what's in it now as I bought her used and she's had 4 owners.
                      2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

One gallon of concentrate is around the same price as a gallon of 50/50 here. You can get two gallons of 50/50 out of one gallon of concentrate. If you were to buy two gallons of 50/50 in the store you'd end paying double.

I'm with Sly and SouthGaDawg74 on this one though. If I'm just topping off or not doing a whole flush, I go 50/50 and then I don't have to bother with mixing and looking for containers.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                          One gallon of concentrate is around the same price as a gallon of 50/50 here. You can get two gallons of 50/50 out of one gallon of concentrate. If you were to buy two gallons of 50/50 in the store you'd end paying double.

I'm with Sly and SouthGaDawg74 on this one though. If I'm just topping off or not doing a whole flush, I go 50/50 and then I don't have to bother with mixing and looking for containers.
                          Well...I probably SHOULD do a flush. 152k and not sure what maintenance has been done to her. So if I do a flush what should I go with?
                          2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Plain water (unless it has a lot of minerals) IF the system is half way clean. Prestone has various flushes if it is not.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

For the ease of use, i use the 50/50. Some things i will pay a little more for.

Sent from Blaster coming at ya from Autobot City.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X