No announcement yet.

Coolant type...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work @ a Ford dealer and Ford recommends Green for any vehicle 2002 and older and Gold for any 2002 and newer. As far as Crown Vics, Grand Marquis & Town Cars go .

Comment

gold? sounds expensive. I'll stick with my old cars.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

sly ... not as bad as you think but is still more than old green !

Comment

I need to flush/fill the system on my 03 LX Sport and have been researching this very thing via Google and over on CVN. From what I can tell I'll be going with Zerex G-05. Said to be the equivalent to Ford premium gold coolant.
          These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Well...ordered a service manual cd from ebay..this thing is awesome so far and i just dove into it. Here is what it says about coolant for my 01.

When adding engine coolant, use a 50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and engine coolant.

To maintain the integrity of the coolant and the cooling system:

Add Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant VC-4-A (in Oregon VC-5, in Canada CXC-10) or an equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A.
            Do not add orange-colored Extended Life Coolant VC-2 or equivalent, meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D. Mixing coolants may degrade the coolant's corrosion protection.
            Do not add alcohol or methanol or any engine coolants mixed with alcohol or methanol antifreeze. These can cause engine damage from overheating or freezing.
            Do not mix with recycled coolant unless it meets the requirements of Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A. Not all coolant recycling processes meet this specification; use of such a coolant may harm the engine and cooling system components.
            2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

not sure if this has been mentioned , but a nice fellow over on cvn named stalag made a rather nifty writeup on a coolant upgrade for those of you interested. search caterpillar coolant crown vic in google
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

If you want extended life coolant use G05.

G05 is compatable with "old green" (if you need to mix 'n match for whatever reason. Unlike dexcool which becomes sludge of death if it comes in contact with anything other than more dexcool).

if you mix "old green" and G05, all you do is lose the extended life properties. In other words, treat it like you wold old green for you drain and refill schedule.

G05 is close enough in price to "old green" here I'll use whatever I can 1. Find first ("old green" is a tough bugger to find around here, everybody either sells all-makes compatable crap, or the specialty coolants, G05, gold, deathcool, etc). 2. Get for a better price if 'old green' is available.

Your Ford or Chevy will live happily with 'old green' or G05.

Alex.

Comment

No the devil is my former Sicilian goomara, the beach broke my heart:-(
                  Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                  That shit is made by the devil. Never will I use it.

Comment

Working...
                  X