No announcement yet.

EGR as source of bad mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of them are better on fuel than others for no obvious reason. I can get 20-21 from Scott's car. I can't hit 19 with mine. He can't do better with it either, so its not just me beating on my own car.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm. So maybe the 1-2 mpg gain from fixing the EGR combined with the "summer" fuel gave me a total of ~4mpg better. I guess that would make sense and it was just a convenient time to fix the EGR so it would get all the credit...

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

sEE thats what im saying!!!!

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        Maybe 1-2 mpg at most.

My POS winter beater wagon w/ 3.55's and 260k miles still gets 24+ on the highway. I just checked the mileage last week as I haven't been keeping track, 19.9 with a 40/60 mix city/highway. I also drive it like it's stolen.
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
          sEE thats what im saying!!!!
          and this is what I'm saying.

Originally posted by dmccaig View Post
          Many tens of thousands of highway miles later with wagon in top tune on AVID high performance tires, lightly loaded (500 pounds?) 19 to 21. Better on methanol free gas.

Donald
          There are some freakish fuel miser cars. Most of them get around 20 though.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, after mine goes in OD, and I apply throttle I still here the pinging under load. How do I check the EGR system.

The EGR valve is ok, cause whe I apply vacuum to it, it stalls
            the green line has 0 vacuum
            and red line...well i dont know how to test it
            "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
            -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
            X