Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

87 Town Car trunk actuator. Trunk not opening.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 Town Car trunk actuator. Trunk not opening.

Last week my trunk would not open. I had to remove my rear seat and luckily the plastic shroud that covers the pull down motor was not in place. The three bolts that hold the trunk motor were exposed so I initially tried to reach my arm through the rear seat with a ratchet on a long pole but the nut was barely spinning. I was loaned a nice device called a sidewinder to get on a 90 degree angle for the bolts. I got the trunk motor unbolted from the body within 5 minutes. If this had occured without the shroud off, I would have been taking a sawzall to the trunk lid. Long story short. It appears as though the rivets that held the actuator in place came loose and the actuator fell out. It doesn't sound like it's operating anymore either. Are these available? It only has 1 wire going to it does that sound right?
    87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
    Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

One wire is possible, although I am not familiar with that actuator.
    The one wire must be a positive (12V) line and it must ground through case/mount to the body. If the actuator is loose that may be why it is not working because it is not being grounded properly. If that is the case you may not need a replacement, but again I am not familiar with that particular actuator and how it is setup.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Absolutely correct VicCrownVic. You're right. It's grounded through the bolt and body. When it loosened and fell out , it was no longer actuating! Thanks buddy. Problem solved.
      87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
      Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Awesome, now I'll have to check my 91 MGM has the same issue. My actuator stopped working a few months ago but since I can still get in with the key I've been too lazy to investigate the issue.
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Hmm. Yeah. I wonder why I couldn't get in with the key still? I'll have to check that out..

Comment

If you mainly us the keyless method of entry to your trunk maybe the keyed portion is just stuck from lack of use ? Try cleaning and lubricating the lock and latch ... can't hurt !?

Comment

Originally posted by 87stars_stripes View Post
              Hmm. Yeah. I wonder why I couldn't get in with the key still? I'll have to check that out..
              Are you saying the key is still giving you trouble? Is the keless feature working now?

Look the latch/lock mechanism over for anything that looks like it's binding and make sure it's all lubed.
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-05-2014, 10:24 PM.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
              X