Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket two core radiator

Hi all,

After getting home this weekend from a relatively long drive I found that my radiators' drain plug has snapped in half and leaked all my coolant. I am unable to get the second part of the drain plug out of the rad, and am unable to get a replacement drain plug from any local parts store so I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the radiator. Its the stock rad and has well over 170k on it anyways.

The vehicle is a 91' grand marquis LS and I believe it has a single core stock radiator but I would like to replace it with a two core radiator. I've never had any particular overheating problems besides a bad fan clutch, but I think at the minimum a two core would help the car down the line when I go back to Phoenix (110+degree summers) and give it more HP down the line.

I've read a lot of similar posts that vaguely refer to summit's two core radiator, but am unable to find it because I keep running into the issue of the rad's thickness; I believe the stock rads measurements are 27.5" x 18.37" (at least that's what the replacement stock rad is) with a depth of 1". I have also checked out the stock radiator for the 351w's which came with 2 cores, but the measurements are a little different; 28"x17.5" with a depth of 1 1/3" (both are spectra radiator measurements). If the 2 core could be modified to fit I'd be fine with that as well. Its only $50 more.

Any help is appreciated!
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

I know when I put the all-aluminum rad in the Mark, I had to get another driver side radiator bracket to use on the passenger side since it was that much thicker. With my 88, I just put in a spectra premium radiator from AZ (stock replacement) and ran with it. no issues to this day and that was 2 years ago.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I believe spectra still offers a 3 row police rad that will fit also (don't know for sure if it is copper/brass or aluminum/plastic)

Comment

I got a 2-row aluminum BeCool radiator for the engine swap and discovered just as SLY did about getting the driver's side radiator bracket (the long one). Hopefully when the time comes, it will fit the lower pads.

Packman

Comment

I believe if you search for a radiator for a 1985 351 Crown Victoria you will find that it is a three core. Need a new upper rad hose though with it as well as one of the sides of the radiator mounts/hold downs. I don;t know the specifics but is something that has been done and I will want to do it one of these years.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. You are right about searching for an 85' 351 CV, the problem is its $393. For anyone wondering the dimensions of the 3 core's are 1.33" depth, 28" width and 17.625" height. For that price I'd rather just get one custom made down the line specifically for my needs. Just going to put the stock spectra in.
            1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

$194 at rockauto for a spectra. All copper and brass too!

Where did you look to find that price? A performance place or something. All aluminum? Just wondering what options are out there.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The Police rad probably needs a different upper hose due to reduction in the rad inlet. Check specks of the inlet. If you need a different upper hose check to be sure you can purchase one. I could not find one for the police
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  $194 at rockauto for a spectra. All copper and brass too!

Where did you look to find that price? A performance place or something. All aluminum? Just wondering what options are out there.
                  I can have an aluminum one built I designed it to be an exact fit using Std upper hose. Trans cooler , might have to change connection end from quick connect. Upper and lower mounts all need to be large ones at both ends
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Genesis Auto Parts in Compton CA makes all aluminum radiators for our cars and the prices are unbeatable. The radiators also come with a lifetime warranty and the prices are more than fair. $140.00 is not asking for too much and they are TIG welded.

Comment

I have a nice 3 core(brass) radiator and upper radiator hose to go with it. $150 plus shipping. WagonMan (I may have the brackets to go with it.)
                      Last edited by WagonMan; 07-06-2014, 05:51 PM.
                      89 Colony Park
                      90 Colony Park
                      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Pete is the upper hose the blue or green lifetime hose?
                        ~David~

Comment

No its black, it has a smaller neck than newer radiators.
                          89 Colony Park
                          90 Colony Park
                          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

yep that is correct. Was just wondering if it came with a lifetime hose.
                            ~David~

Comment

That place in CA sounds like a good deal. My BeCool radiator was just over $200 without the trans ports. I was just gonna run a large trans cooler and call it a day.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X