Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AOD rebuild... Failed TV bushing strikes again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD rebuild... Failed TV bushing strikes again!

Friend of a Friend had an 88 MGM towed to me saying the transmission was slipping. He bought the car at an estate sale and it was known to have transmission problems.

The car is in spectacular condition! it's an LS with ATC and premium sound, grey cloth and 78K showing on the odometer.

Once the car was unloaded off the flat bed, I popped the hood and checked the TV grommet. The TV cable was dangling and half the grommet was missing.

No one was sure how much the car had been driven in this condition. I went to the parts store to find a replacement TV bushing so I could safely drive the car and test the operation of the transmission.

The smallest grommet in this pack was a perfect match

Once I got the grommet installed, I went for a test drive. The 1-2 shift was early and very soft. I only got the transmission to shift into 3rd twice and it slipped badly. The fluid was full, dark red and had a slight burned odor.

With the pan and filter removed the fluid was much darker and there was lots of burned clutch material in the bottom of the pan.

I had the transmission out of the car in about 4 hrs. The exhaust was bit rusty, but nothing broke.

Transmission was disassembled and cleaned for inspection. Everything was perfect inside except for the Direct clutch pack, which is responsible for 3rd gear. ALL the clutches were burned and the steel plates were blued and warped from heat.

Currently, I am waiting on the rebuild kit to show up. New gaskets, seals, clutches and OD band it will be good as new. Also going to install a Trans Go shift improver kit. Once the transmission is installed the TV pressure will be checked and adjusted.
    Last edited by 88grandmarq; 06-12-2014, 10:16 AM.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Packman

Comment

Can you imagine the number of these that burnt up prematurely from that damn bushing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Year but just think of the 25 cents (probably less) Ford saved on every vehicle!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

My car's TV bushing failed with the previous owner and they had the trans rebuilt.

In my ownership, the TV cable failed at the transmission end and I had to replace the cable. (Not so easy to find.. ended up using an old mustang one that's about twice as long)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
            Should I be worried that mine looked "not much better" than that when I did it 2 years ago?
            Of course I can't really judge how thick that layer of material is in your pic, only the amount of coverage...

Originally posted by slack View Post
            In my ownership, the TV cable failed at the transmission end and I had to replace the cable. (Not so easy to find.. ended up using an old mustang one that's about twice as long)
            Out of fear of this, I have a junkyard one in the trunk now as part of my kit of "oh shit, THAT broke" parts for on the road repairs.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

I've had to replace the cable on mine after a shop broke it while removing the intake. They broke it in half by the throttle body and only the cable itself was intact. Hard to find part, I had to pull one from a '90 TC at the junkyard and it cost me all of $12.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
              2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
              2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

My Mark VII has a rebuilt trans in it. I found the reciept in the bundle of stuff. Basically it says to diagnose early shifting problem. For repairs it says install re-manufactured transmission and it lists the part number for the brass bushing. 99% sure the plastic one fell apart and smoked the trans.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

should spend the money on a CONSTANT PRESSURE valve body then no need for a tv cable

Comment

All the parts arrived last week and transmission is 85% assembled. still need to install the front pump and go through the valve body and install the shift kit. Then re-install the transmission in the car.

its been raining every day in the afternoon and at night, hopefully I can get installed with out getting wet.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

This seems like quite the extensive job. What and how does the shift kit do whatever it does?

Comment

The trans go shift improver kit has some updated springs to make the transmission shift more crisply. it also has some improved teflon seals for the various accumulator pistons.

Comment

all the parts arrived and the transmission was assembled on 6/21, it passed the air check.

while cleaning the extension housing, I found the bushing was pitted and worn. Fortunately, I had a spare from a previous rebuild and installed it along with a new seal.

The transmission was installed in the car on sunday 6/22. after I got it filled with fluid, took it for a test drive and it would not upshift out of 1st gear. Since the clutches passed the air test I knew the transmission was good, so this has to be pressure related, govenor related or valve body related.
                          I spent the next week dickering with it; I set the TV pressure correctly, removed the govenor and cleaned it, and remove the valve body to check for stuck valves, nothing helped.

I was about to give up when I remembered I had a spare valve body from when I converted my original 88 MGM to a wide ratio transmission. I dug that out, made sure all the valves were not stuck, the correct springs were installed and installed new gaskets. installed the spare valve body and started shifting, all 4 gears worked!

The replacement nylon TV bushing I ordered ripped the minute I tried to install it, so I ordered a brass bushing and installed it.

Comment

something I forgot to mention, I discovered the car had a filter installed in trans cooler return line.

I have to say, I am not a fan of these types of filters. The problem is they cause a restriction in the cooler flow (especially after any type of failure) and end up causing a loss of lube or lack of lube condition.

I removed the filter and put in a piece of ATF rated hose.
                            Last edited by 88grandmarq; 07-03-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I've seen those installed when the trans grenades in lieu of a replacement radiator or at least a really good flush.

Any opinion on the large spin-on type external filters?
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X