HELP - Lincoln MK VI hide-away vacuum head lamp covers wont close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP - Lincoln MK VI hide-away vacuum head lamp covers wont close

Hey all! So i recently got my 1981 Lincoln Continental MK VI up and running, now she purrs like a kitten! After sitting for about a year (confusion with EEC III, firing order, and a seriously big intake vacuum leak), shes alive and well. All but one thing; the headlamp covers wont close, it stated after i removed the intake mani and redid the gaskets. Somewhere along the line i must have connected vacuum lines incorrectly? My book says the only explanation would be a "by-pass valve" that holds and vents vacuum, it mustnt be functional, but that sounds odd considering it just happened after i did some major work.

Note after 18 hours of inoperability it is normal for the covers to open automatically. When i pull on the switch i can see the covers try to open even more, but as i push nothing happens. Has anyone experienced something similar?

My 79 Continental had a manual vacuum switch that would disconnect vacuum from the headlights in case the switch failed. I wonder if some how that could have been turned. It looks like a disc with two vacuum lines on one side and two on the other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Oh and it was on the drivers side inner fender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

There should be vacuum lines feeding to the back of the headlight switch. make sure they have vacuum. If not, its probably just not connected under the hood somewhere. Also possible that the vacuum part of the switch failed.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine open after about 5 hours. I have a good headlight switch with autodim if you need it. Make an offer.

Sent from Blaster coming at ya from Autobot City.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X