Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I dropped her in reverse today and she stalled. Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dropped her in reverse today and she stalled. Any ideas?

She's been idling very low when I put her in reverse and today she stalled completely.
    2001 Grand Marquis LS

May want to try cleaning the MAF. Also check that the IAC valve is good. If not it could cause this issue.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Cleaned the MAF and it hasn't stalled since. Idle still drops pretty low but it hasn't shut off.
      2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Iac???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
          Iac???
          Gonna be my next stop. It's nothing that seems to be a problem other than the drop in revs when in reverse.
          2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

should be the same idle in R as D and a little lower than N/P but if it's a good deal lower even after fully warmed up, then there's other issues, and probably the IAC is the culprit. It may need a good cleaning.

also, I've heard about an IAC hack for Police cars to get the idle down a dink by restricting the IAC hose. Check that on yours to make sure some previous owner didn't do that. If they did, remove the restriction.

use this video for reverence:
            Last edited by sly; 07-14-2014, 03:25 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X