Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open hole/port in AC Compressor.

Hi guys,

I noticed I have an open hole in the back of my AC Compressor. I have the two plumbing ports from the low to the high side coming in and in between the two there's a port on the back of the compressor that's just open to the air.

Just for kicks, I tried spraying some R-134a in it and it all immediately comes out the port in the back of the compressor.

Any idea what that's for or what it's suppose to be connected to?

Thanks,
    -Erik

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

pics?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There is a high pressure relief on the compressor, but that should not be leaky. If thats what is leaking, I don't think its a part that can be replaced individually. If its not that, NFC. Pics needed. I think the relief port is there in between the fittings though. Having a hard time remembering without popping the hood.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was able to get a few blurry pics on my friends phone. I should be able to get them from him tomorrow to post.

The system on the low pressure side is showing zero psi. As soon as I add any refrigerant it immediately starts spraying out that hole. It sort of looks like a sheared plumbing line...

So if it does end up this is a non serviceable part I'm looking at a new compressor eh? I also read I should evacuate with dry nitrous (or something like that) and replace the drier... But I've also heard that's not necessary..

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

possibly. If you feed refrigerant in the low side and it sprays out that hole... and that hole is not part of the hose connection that bolts down to the compressor... yeah... new compressor time. Sounds like the lines inside the compressor may have rusted/blown out. You will probably have to flush out the entire system if that's the case and replace the orifice tube as well as probably seals and any lines that look like they are leaky around the crimps.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Looks like I can't get the pictures. Maybe I'll try to grab some more later today. I'm pretty sure it is the high pressure relief port that it's spraying out of. It took a decent amount of refrigerant before it started blowing out (not a whole can though). The low side fell to 0psi while the gas was leaking out but never read high on the needle.

I wasn't doing this with a manifold so I didn't have the high side reading. For all I know, maybe the high side was reaching wayyy too high pressure or there's an internal clog in the compressor. The compressor didn't even attempt to turn on during any of this.

I think before I go any further, I'll see if the compressor will attempt to engage when jumped. If it does, I'll see if I'm getting any pressure at the high side before the relief valve starts spewing. I was able to find online that you can replace the relief valve but with the compressor being so old it's probably isn't worth the money. If the compressor doesn't turn on, I'll just continue to live without A/C.

Comment

the system would have to be hopelessly clogged to have no pressure on the low side and pressure on the high side. Not impossible, but you really ought to get a proper set of gauges to see what its doing.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm thinking the system is probably rusted on the inside. I pulled out the high pressure relief valve from the back of the compressor and the side that faces the inside of the A/c system is all rusted. I'm assuming water must have got into the line sometime in the past 25 years and messed things up. I'm thinking a full revamp would be needed to get the a/c in my car working again. Also, there was no pressure on the high or low side when I just checked. (Probably all came out when the valve opened but checked again none the less.)

Pics of the valve: (You can see the rust in pic two)
                Click image for larger version

Name:	relief_valve1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	1274610

Name:	relief_valve2_rusted_inside.jpg
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	1274611

Name:	relief_valve3_bottom.jpg
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1274612

Comment

yeah, thats the pressure relief valve. If its that shitted up, you'd probably do yourself a huge favor to at least give it a very thorough flush before going further with it. It will want all new O rings and a new drier at a bare minimum. I'd probably be looking at a replacement compressor too, and a new orifice tube. The lines may or may not be OK but if you can pick them up at a reasonable price, go for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X