No announcement yet.

Best AGM Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As soon as we get an afternoon when it doesn't rain it is on my list of things to do. Wonder if they an overcharge a battery??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

They only put out a small amount of amps so, its probably unlikely that it could overcharge.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

As everyone has said, AGM batteries won't necessarily last longer while sitting.

As for the original question:

I and 2 coworkers are all very happy with our Optima batteries. It supposedly can be run flat more without being damaged, is like half the weight of a lead-acid, and is just good.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Been raining just about every day but finally got a chance to check out the outlets today. Both the cig lighter and the power port are live all the time. Since I keep a car cover on I'll have to decide if that will continue before buying the charger. Tough to solar charge in the dark!! So, protecting the car from the South Florida weather conditions and dirt or keeping it charged?? Perhaps more frequent cleanings are in it's future....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

No need for an AGM battery unless you're off roading or using the battery in a derby car. Just get a higher quality battery with good CCA's (750 - 850) and a good amount of reserve minutes.
            1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
            1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
            1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Got one from Autozone - the Gold (Yellow top) that has like a 7 year deal. They are now 5 year only. IIRC it is 850 Cold cranking Amps (1000 cranking Amps) - 150 reserve minutes.

Comment

One thing about those, if you discharge them completely and leave them dead for a while, they go bad. Seems to be more of a problem with the Optima types than with wet cell batteries, though prolonged discharge on any battery is not good for it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good call on the AZ battery. They're made by Johnson Controls, so you're getting a good product as well.

Most car batteries last three to five years, so the warranty will help a lot with that if it does fail in that time frame.
                  1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                  1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                  1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Down here you are lucky to get about 3 years out of a battery. Tires tend to go quickly, especially on FWD cars.

Comment

Working...
                    X