Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transgo, Baumann, B&M Shift Kits

Hey All,

86VickyLx (John) said he'd be willing to part with his fully tested and functional valve body as he is not using it. My current one is funky and does not control shifts well at all, especially 1-2 at WOT. I'm sure an accumulator or valve in there is bad, besides being of a poor, and most likely inferior design to the 86.

ANYWAY.

If i put this in I'd like to combine it with a shift kit. It's a daily driver, and I don't want the transmission banging into gears every time I drive it, however at WOT or close to it I would not mind having the tires chirp.

Opinions on Transgo, Baumann, and B&m. I heard B&M is inferior, Transgo can be a bit harsh, but not too much on Baumann. Any opinions???

Thanks!!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I have a transgo in my 88. Firm for sure, but I wouldn't call it harsh. As long as you dial in the pressure correctly and don't tie up the TV cable too tight, I don't see any issues with transgo in an AOD. Now I would avoid transgo for electronic transmissions and just go with the parts listed for shift improvements in the j-mod threads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The AOD tends to work opposite how you expect. Shift kits often firm up part throttle shifts, but they tend to remain kind of mushy at WOT.

Is the 86 valve body compatible with an 82 trans? Reasonably sure it is, but I know at some point the valve bodies stopped being interchangeable. I think it was '89 though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've installed the Transgo No Yo-Yo kit before, it worked great. Crisped up the shifts a bit, but like Gadget said the WOT shifts are still not very positive.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

WOT on mine are positive as well. hmm. I guess YMMV.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You can't put an earlier into 89+ because the Overdrive servo or 3-4 servo is in the valve body. In the older ones, the servo is actually in the case of the transmission. But you can make the newer ones work in the older trans as all the ports are still the same.

Comment

MY 1-2 WOT shift is EXTREMELY bad. it takes maybe 2 seconds of flaring and over revving by a few hundred RPM to go into second. Very mushy and sloppy. My main goal is to try and improve this. John's experienced it. Transmissions always been well taken care of, and it shifts ok in any throttle position under 3/4. Did the kits improve the WOT shifts at all?

I'm reading a lot of good stuff on Baumann, lot adjustability as far as line pressure and shift points. The kit has you drill out a hole or two as well as different valves and springs.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

It helps the WOT shifts, but don't expect it to snap your neck back and bark the tires. GM transmissions will do that. The drive tire on my S10 is half bald because it will break the 1-2 shift loose if I hammer on it a bit.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Any improvement is good improvement...John's VB has an 84 part number, so they must have made an improvement that year. Should I replace any other parts while i'm in there, I noticed there are square cut seals on some parts (accumulators?) I am also going to check the pressure regulator boost valve.
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                    MY 1-2 WOT shift is EXTREMELY bad. it takes maybe 2 seconds of flaring and over revving by a few hundred RPM to go into second. Very mushy and sloppy. My main goal is to try and improve this. John's experienced it. Transmissions always been well taken care of, and it shifts ok in any throttle position under 3/4. Did the kits improve the WOT shifts at all?

I'm reading a lot of good stuff on Baumann, lot adjustability as far as line pressure and shift points. The kit has you drill out a hole or two as well as different valves and springs.
                    The No Yo-Yo is similar, drill out one hole and add a cotter pin to another to reduce the hole size. Some valve spring changes, and you have to shorten the pin on the OD servo.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I have a silverfox vb in my coupe. Not sure what the designation is, but I have the "harshest" shift schedule possible, and can turn OD on or off electrontically.

This vb is a nice piece. The shifts are not really harsh. They're fast and effcient; part throttle is nice, full throttle you feel a little bump.

My AOD has been converted to non lock up (because of the harsh shift setting), and also has a 3400 stall converter, which also changes the feel of things.

If you can afford it, I recommend doing the vb rather than a shift kit. Obviously the price difference is significant, but I've always had dismal results with shift kits. Either uncomfortably harsh shifts (that would like to knock the u joints out of the driveshaft), or minimal improvement.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

The long term goal is a silverfox VB, however I also plan on eventually modifying the engine, and that would throw off the custom calibration he would make for my car. Since I have a weak early model VB and a free "later model" valve body that is known to shift half decent, plus has an upgraded 1-2 accumulator, i think it will improve it enough for me to be satisfied for now, until I make further modifications.
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

going from dinked to non-dinked ought to be an improvement. Fix that park pawl while you're in there.

Comment

Ordered the Baumann today, no online orders, had to actually make a PHONE CALL. Old school eh? Boost valve looks good.

Going to try to do the parking paw if I feel ambitious, and get to the junkyard to pull some parts for it.
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

What is that parking thing going on three years now lol?
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X