Check Engine Light is on again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Engine Light is on again

I drove my car back from SC today with no problems. After I got back home I left again to go to the gym. I noticed that the Check Engine Light would come on if I let off the throttle and go away if I pressed down on the accelerator. After about five minutes of driving the light stayed on. I checked the TPS and it was loose. I tightened it down and disconnected the battery for about 45 minutes.

After I got back, the light was still on. I drove it home and grabbed some codes. 63 (C), 34 (C), 98 (R) and 63 (R). The car drove fine, but it idled a bit high and I could hear a faint chattering sound from under the hood that I had never heard before. I put a new TPS in the car less than a year ago. What do you guys think?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

And as a little bit of a follow-up, I swapped in the old TPS that I replaced a year ago (hooray for spare parts!) and the engine light was gone. I revved up the engine and the light never re-appeared. I'll probably need a new sensor now, I'm surprised the new one quit so early. Is there a way to adjust them? Since mine was loose, I guess it could have been knocked out of adjustment.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Working...
    X