Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am tired of telling people there has to be!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife's 85 Cougar was that way..."Sealed System" and didn't need lube...so they say. But like every thing in life things wear out. If you have to replace them, new ones, like from MOOG, will have greese fittings on them. Like the other guys said, there are no dumb questions. Just try to keep an opened mind and you'll learn new things. Going on 47...I'm still learning and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

Comment

most of the time the upper zerks are buried in a thick layer of goo

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Honestly, if you aren't cleaning your zerk fittings off before pumping grease in, it probably does more harm than good. Most bearing failure is from dirt contamination, usually caused by pushing dirt into the bearing through the grease fitting during lube jobs. The ball joints aren't quite the same as an electric motor bearing in that respect, but shoving dirt in there does not help them at all. Always a good idea to wipe the fittings clean before greasing, and for that professional look, wipe them off afterward so you don't have goobers of grease hanging under the car.

Still though, even with regular clean greasing, they're going to wear out at some point. 120-130k seems to be about the limit on most of them.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As my car has about 83K, I assume I have lots of time, but I am bothered about the upper bjs having never been lubed!
          have to find the time to get the car to the shop and a quick hop up on the lift to have a look see!!!

Comment

don't need a lift to see... just a jack at most. look on top of the upper control arm at the point it meets up with the spindle. If it's caked with black/grey dirt/crud... try wiping it off. you might find a grease fitting in there. That's the way I found them on my 88.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
              As my car has about 83K, I assume I have lots of time, but I am bothered about the upper bjs having never been lubed!
              have to find the time to get the car to the shop and a quick hop up on the lift to have a look see!!!
              Mileage isn't always the best indicator. My 91 has the original uppers at 264k miles, and besides for having no boots left, they only have moderate play in them (yes I'm going to change them).
              My 85 only has 56k miles on it but the uppers are seized from sitting for years.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

"Not sure which years that Ford started the practice, but the suspension joints stopped using grease zerks and were "sealed for life"

nah, my 1990 had zerk fittings.

If you're in the mood for it, do a poly bushing swap while you're at it?
                I think they're riveted and you drill out the rivets!
                I did a full front end poly bushing swap 2 years ago, and took the opportunity to do the upper ball joints-- with the control arms out, it's an easy deal. You have to pull the spring out already anyway, and that was IMO the hardest part.
                But they're not under anything near the same forces as the lower ball joint, and honestly my 1990 OE joints with 130k miles seemed fine. And even the lowers were just beginning to get slop.

Comment

Gents, I read everything, but I am concerned that the uppers were never lubed!
                  How can any joint be good for 83K or any mileage, and never have been lubed????????

Comment

If it is sealed (without the possibility of dirt getting in) it is possible they are still "good".

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Will check this week!
                      Small sheet bothers me!

Comment

Original upper ball joints on my 93 were sealed and lasted over 150k miles.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Question:
                          If it is found that there are no zerks, should I remove plugs if they are there and tap hole for zerks?

Comment

What takes the most abuse, upper or lower joints?

Comment

lower takes the most abuse. If there is a hole with a plug, clean the area good before removing the plug and just thread in a grease fitting. Should thread right in.

Comment

I think road conditions have a lot to do with suspension longevity. NY area and other snow/salt places are brutal. Can't even imagine driving in Detroit.
                                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                                X