New engine acquired for HO conversion of the wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New engine acquired for HO conversion of the wagon

So, in my belief that putting an engine together outside the car would be easier than swapping the cam and heads with the engine still in, I got a spare.
    I am doing this outside the car to afford myself time as well, I want to have the engine in the car in a few weeks rather than having to do all the work in a day with it in the car.

I have an engine from a Mark VII(came with the PCM too, now I have 2), does it matter what year it came from?
    I read the thread about the timing covers being the same for most of these 302s and just wanted to make sure I am going this right, this is the first time doing any engine work.
    So far I have:
    - long block
    - GT40P heads
    - Explorer intake
    - Mustang shorties
    - 19# injectors
    - new water pump(Ford)
    - new oil pump
    - new oil pan is coming(the one on the engine has a hole for the oil level sensor, I just don't want a big hole in there and I don't have that sensor currently)
    - all gaskets needed(I think, it came as a full kit so I hope it is complete
    - Mark VII PCM to keep cruise as stated int he HO thread
    - I also have a Mustang cam if it matters which one I use

Is there anything else I would need?

Any help would be appreciated.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Some Mark VII's had lopo's in them, what year is your out of?

For the gt40p's, you'll need aftermarket valve springs, though it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the heads gone through by a shop. Bear minimum I'd clean them up and lap the valves.
    Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw some 1.7 roller rockers in either.

I'm assuming your using a Explorer Throttle Body? You'll need a lighting EGR spacer, or to modify an aftermarket Mustang 65mm.

If it's an HO, cam is the same as a HO Mustang, so no need to change it. I'd replace the timing chain though while in there.

I'd get new o-rings and pintle caps for the injectors. RJM tech used to sell a nice rebuild kit but as far as I can tell is dead.

What do you plan on doing for the rest of the exhaust?

For the trans you'll need the proper governor, or else it will shift at ~4k, way to early for a HO cam. You may as well get a better convertor and at minimum a shift kit too.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I forgot to list the 1.7 rockers and aftermarket springs but I have those too.
      I have a Mustang TB that I'm modifying to work.
      Ok, I just re-read the HO thread about the Mark VII cams 89-92. I believe this is an 88 so that answers that question, is there a way to tell for sure what year it was? PCM code, some identifying marks?

I have a Mustang H-pipe and some over axle pipes(Impala) for exhaust, still deciding on mufflers
      Last edited by BlackVic_P71; 06-29-2014, 09:41 PM.

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
        I forgot to list the 1.7 rockers and aftermarket springs but I have those too.
        I have a Mustang TB that I'm modifying to work.
        Ok, I just re-read the HO thread about the Mark VII cams 89-92. I believe this is an 88 so that answers that question, is there a way to tell for sure what year it was? PCM code, some identifying marks?

I have a Mustang H-pipe and some over axle pipes(Impala) for exhaust, still deciding on mufflers
        If it's a D9S it's HO. I think a few other codes are HO as well.

I probably run an Explorer TB, 65mm vs a Mustang 60mm.
        Last edited by pantera77; 06-29-2014, 10:46 PM.
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Alright, it came with a DX3, I do have a D9S from a '91 that I bought for the swap a few months ago though.
          Ok, the governor is ordered.
          The TB I have is 65mm, it came with an HO intake, the cam, and some other stuff I got a month or 2 ago.

I just found another thread here mentioning the DX3 being used in an HO conversion.
          I also saw elsewhere that the upper plenum being stamped HO means that it was in fact HO, correct? (the one this engine came with has HO cast in the top under the plaque)
          Last edited by BlackVic_P71; 06-29-2014, 10:57 PM. Reason: I found stuff

Comment

The non-HO and undesirable HO motors use a goofy looking spark plug, same one the non-HO uses. Pull the plug out and look at it. If its got a long neck above the threads, its got crappy heads, or isn't an HO. If its got threads right below the hex nut, its the desirable motor. The Bill Blass from 86-87 had a lopo, the LSC had an HO with flat top pistons and crappy heads. All 88+ have the HO with better heads and valve relieved pistons. Heads don't matter if you are changing stuff, its more the pistons that are a concern. If its got HO cast into the upper intake though, chances are extremely good its an 88+ motor and you're good.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It was listed as an 88, I'll take the heads off tomorrow.

Comment

Where did you order the governor from? There is at one time, may still be a good write up about changing it out on this forum.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I ordered it from Ford, to be picked up at the local dealer.
                  Yeah, the write-up on here is where I found the part number.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
                    Alright, it came with a DX3, I do have a D9S from a '91 that I bought for the swap a few months ago though.
                    Ok, the governor is ordered.
                    The TB I have is 65mm, it came with an HO intake, the cam, and some other stuff I got a month or 2 ago.

I just found another thread here mentioning the DX3 being used in an HO conversion.
                    I also saw elsewhere that the upper plenum being stamped HO means that it was in fact HO, correct? (the one this engine came with has HO cast in the top under the plaque)
                    Then it certainly sounds like you have a HO, which is a better starting point IMO. Although the only main difference short block wise is the pistons, you get the nice forged flat top's, instead of the shitty lopo dished cast aluminum ones.

Comment

Comment

mmm... dat HO.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thats the one. Just make sure the holes are round and of the proper size.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It is so nice to be able to clean the carbon from the pistons.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                              It is so nice to be able to clean the carbon from the pistons.
                              Since I've never done this before, what should I use to clean the innards?

Comment

Working...
                              X