Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I call it the Monolith. I have plans for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ooph, sorry to hear about your other car, hopefully it's something simple!

I...will seriously consider that. That very well could save me. New freakin Jersey, though... The logistics of that would probably defeat the point, wouldn't it?
    It is a decent drive, but it may be worth it. Depending on some things I might be able to drive out 4ish hours, make a small vacation/weekend out of it, so the drive would be about 6 hours for you... I'll DM you some details on the transmission and whatnot and you can decide for yourself
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

He's in Idaho, not Indiana. Cutting 4 hours off would be a drop in the bucket.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I had to junk the Nissan. I hauled it to the mechanic, after spending three hours getting the piece of shit onto the trailer, and he discovered that the mass air sensor and the crank sensor both shat themselves at exactly the same time. The air sensor was reading fifty degrees off. 700 dollars to fix it. At that price, I had to choose, and I chose the Mercury.

I got 325 for it, which is honestly more than I probably would have been able to sell it for if it was running. It was a heap. Someone else has been driving me around since.

I have been working on removing the transmission from the '90 LS in the junkyard. As of today, the only things left holding it in are the top two bellhousing bolts. The extension housing and exhaust were already removed when I got there, so the tailshaft is just sitting on the crossmember, and coincidentally, the main problem right now is the crossmember. The yard set the car down with the frame sitting on stacked rims. That's where the problem comes in. They set it down directly on the crossmember flanges, so they are both bent upward and I can't reach the bolts. I can get a wrench in there, but 3/4" slips and 11/16" is too small. It needs an 18mm wrench, which are apparently harder to find than a talking unicorn. I have an 18mm socket, but there isn't enough room to get it in there. A crescent barely fits, and I can't get it to bind.

I am not sure what to do. The options I can see right now are to cut the crossmember, or shift the transmission backwards and let the front down. I dunno if that's physically possible, and I dunno if the yard will let me cut it.

I go back in the morning. What should I do?

On a side note, there was a 95 Vic next to this one. It had a tow package. I've always wanted a tow package. I now have a tow package.

On another side note, these have a two-piece dust cover, so you don't need to remove the starter to get to the flexplate bolts. I learned this after I removed the starter. This was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I was not exactly amused.
        Last edited by ootdega; 03-27-2022, 08:12 PM.
        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

If there's room for an adjustable knuckle buster, you might try that. Other than finding an open-end/box-end wrench at a store, not sure what you can use. As for cutting it, if you use a battery powered reciprocating saw, most yards will allow it. Obviously, you'll have to check with them. A good bi-metal demo blade typically does the trick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Skip the crescent wrench you'll just round it off. Go into any parts store and grab you an 18mm box/open end wrench. They should have it. I have needed all kinds of odd size wrenches and have most always been able to get them there. I have a 16, 18, and 21mm all from OReilly's.

If all else fails ask the yard to have them move the car onto something else so you can get to them. I needed exhaust from a GP in the 'yard and the way it was stacked I couldn't get the catback out from under it. Went up front and kindly asked the person at the desk if they would bring the skid steer over and lift the car up long enough for me to safely get it. Said give him 10 min and there he was. Gave the guy a $10 tip and off I went dragging an entire catback to muffler system from the back of the yard to my truck.
            These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

It's been a few years since my last AOD removal/install, but I believe for the cross member mounts at the frame rails the bolt head may not be the same size as the nut on the bottom. My vote would be to cut the cross member. You also have a chance of the body mounts on the car being shot, which would mean the bolts could not be removed if you don't have a way to jack the body up enough to get the bolts to clear the floor pans.

The AOD is one heavy SOB. How are you supporting and lowing this trans? Yards around here don't allow jacks, but the yard you are going to may have different policies. (Sorry if I already asked and you already answered, just want to be sure you are prepared as well as you can be.) I once built a platform of 4x4 wood (probably less than 2ft long each) to rest the trans on oil pan on (arranged something like the picture attached, obviously not with round wood). Then slowly lifted one end/side of the trans at a time removing one piece of wood at a time until I had the trans on the ground and could slide it out from under the car. It was a PITA but slowly got the job done. (This was before I had my own trans jack and I must not have been able to borrow my uncle's and didn't have time to wait for his to become available.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	BIN5POZC7VLJTWWNWUXQOYDIFY.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1290067
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                If there's room for an adjustable knuckle buster, you might try that. Other than finding an open-end/box-end wrench at a store, not sure what you can use. As for cutting it, if you use a battery powered reciprocating saw, most yards will allow it. Obviously, you'll have to check with them. A good bi-metal demo blade typically does the trick.
                That would explain why they specifically asked if I had a grinder. That, and a grinder is probably what lit up the car that was on fire when I got there.

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
                Skip the crescent wrench you'll just round it off. Go into any parts store and grab you an 18mm box/open end wrench. They should have it. I have needed all kinds of odd size wrenches and have most always been able to get them there. I have a 16, 18, and 21mm all from OReilly's.

If all else fails ask the yard to have them move the car onto something else so you can get to them. I needed exhaust from a GP in the 'yard and the way it was stacked I couldn't get the catback out from under it. Went up front and kindly asked the person at the desk if they would bring the skid steer over and lift the car up long enough for me to safely get it. Said give him 10 min and there he was. Gave the guy a $10 tip and off I went dragging an entire catback to muffler system from the back of the yard to my truck.
                That sounds like the safest option to remove it from under the car. Unbolt everything while it rests on something, and have them lift the car off the transmission.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                It's been a few years since my last AOD removal/install, but I believe for the cross member mounts at the frame rails the bolt head may not be the same size as the nut on the bottom. My vote would be to cut the cross member. You also have a chance of the body mounts on the car being shot, which would mean the bolts could not be removed if you don't have a way to jack the body up enough to get the bolts to clear the floor pans.

The AOD is one heavy SOB. How are you supporting and lowing this trans? Yards around here don't allow jacks, but the yard you are going to may have different policies. (Sorry if I already asked and you already answered, just want to be sure you are prepared as well as you can be.) I once built a platform of 4x4 wood (probably less than 2ft long each) to rest the trans on oil pan on (arranged something like the picture attached, obviously not with round wood). Then slowly lifted one end/side of the trans at a time removing one piece of wood at a time until I had the trans on the ground and could slide it out from under the car. It was a PITA but slowly got the job done. (This was before I had my own trans jack and I must not have been able to borrow my uncle's and didn't have time to wait for his to become available.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57615[/ATTACH]
                Shit, that's a good point... With the flanges bent, there isn't anywhere for the bolt to go. Even if I can turn it, it's not coming out. So cutting it is the only option. I'm glad you brought that up.

I'm going to be using spare tires. Two of them stacked is exactly the right height to directly support the pan. Jacks aren't allowed.

Alright, I'll grab a cordless saw and bimetal blades on the way there. Thanks guys. I really appreciate how fast you respond. Now I just need to figure out if I have some way to get it a quarter mile uphill to avoid the $50 loader transport fee.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Glad you are making progress. I once cut an exhaust system and radiator support out with a hacksaw. It sucked. That said, I would cut the crossmember. Most yards I hav been to do not mind the loss of a $10 crossmember to get to a higher dollar item like an engine or transmission. Good luck today.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Okay, the transmission is completely disconnected. Crossmember is cut, it's seperated from the engine, and it's happily and securely sitting on a 2-stack of tires. Lifting the car should leave it safely.

Now I just need to figure out how the hell to get it out of there. If the loader guy won't lift the car, then things get much more complicated, and much more dangerous. I only have a few vague ideas on how to get it out manually, and I'm not sure how well they would pan out.

I could slowlywinch the second tire out from under the first and lower it that way. The Y-pipe would be useful to keep the top one still. I could ratchet strap the hell out of it and TRY to slowly lower it. Not a great idea in my book. They have A-frames available, but I don't know how that's going to help me with the transmission itself, and it could also end very badly.

I go back first thing in the morning. This is a conundrum that I should ideally have solved before then. If not, uhh... Click image for larger version

Name:	73131840211fd4b5f144be17503e13c9_d24bb9f5_1280.png
Views:	1
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	1290070
                    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Honestly, not bad progress so far.

I wonder if the yard would be pissed if two holes appeared in the roof of the car and the floor of the car? Maybe just don't mention it to them. (This suggestion is the result of their no jacks policy, after all.)
                      If the A-frame chains aren't long enough to somehow reach under the car (not sure what good that would do anyway), a hole at the front and rear of the trans in the floor pan (seats will need to be removed and the dash may put the front hole back a ways) and matching holes in the roof... on second thought, perhaps just one hole (floor and roof) strategically placed would do and may even avoid seat removal.

Take that as brainstorming, not necessarily exactly how it will workout in reality. Perhaps even use that idea in conjunction with ratchet straps.
                      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-29-2022, 10:38 PM.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Also, since this is a '90 and your car is an '89 you will need to take the pan off of both transmission and swap the linkage. (may have been mentioned already.)

I did it with the trans in the car, but I would suggest doing it with both transmissions out and on their sides. I'll see if I can find a good writeup on that, or someone else may beat me to posting one.

Also, getting the '89 rod shift linkage disconnected is a pain compared to the '90+ cable shift linkage setup.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Wow. Man, you don't fuck around, do ya? Brutal. But it's something to consider. I mean, it's not like anyone is going there for the floorboards. Last resort probably, though.

I know about the shift linkage, I already removed it. It's staying on the car. I felt pretty clever when I figured out how to do it. What's wrong with the pan?

Also, I would like to share that the car made it 20 miles to my mom's place to work on it there. Butchered u-joints and a transmission that rarely acknowledges 1st or 2nd gear, sat for 5 years...and it made the whole trip going the speed limit. Just had a barely-noticable vibration, and a very spicy driveshaft. Our plan was to use the flashers, but...it didn't need them. It really, truly wants to live.
                          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Shift lever swap may be the more accurate wording, not linkage swap. The swap that needs to be done requires removing the pan. The pan is the same '89 and '90 (all years AOD use the same pan). The yards in Detroit all puncture the pans to drain them, so if your yard does the same you can swap the '89 pan to the '90 trans.

Found the post I was thinking of: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post681384
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I thought that might be what you meant. Awesome, thank you. Spring is noted.

Thankfully, this one has the metric pan with a drain plug. Upgrade? Upgrade.
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Oh, drain plug could mean someone actually kept up with regular maintenance. Perhaps even some improved internals to try to make the trans last a little longer. Stock AODs did not come with a drain plug.

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
                                Wow. Man, you don't fuck around, do ya? Brutal. But it's something to consider. I mean, it's not like anyone is going there for the floorboards. Last resort probably, though.
                                I usually do not condone destroying stuff in the JY to get at what you want, but in this case I find it highly unlikely that someone will need the floor pan or roof and have access to this car before it is crushed. It's when people unnecessarily destroy things that could have easily been saved, just to get what they want, that pisses me off.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X