Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I call it the Monolith. I have plans for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I call it the Monolith. I have plans for it.

This is my 89 Grand Marquis GS. I got it for 800 dollars about three years ago. It ran excellently and was in great condition, so I was more than happy to have it. Everything works, nothing is broken and it fits me in every way. Shortly thereafter someone asked me if I had a name for it. I decided to call it the first thing that came to mind: the Monolith.

Since then, I've spent about 2500 fixing things that were starting to wear out. First off was the tires. They were completely bald to the point of being visibly smaller.

I bought four used tires, two of them for 20, two for 25. Only two of them match.

After that, I have since replaced the power steering pump with one off a Continental, the alternator, the battery, the fan clutch, the tensioner, the rear air shocks and airline, the wiper blades with much larger ones, the missing dash knobs with aluminum bolt-ons, the entirety of the brakes and a tune-up, the gas tank padding, and the fuel pump. The tune-up made it run better; the fuel pump made it run fantastic, even though it's really noisy. It's the loudest noise the car makes. I've also added some black self-adhesive rifle wrap to the stripped door handle and gear lever knob, and Gorilla-Glued some cuts in the upholstery and whatever parts of the dash were rattling or loose.

Then I bought these for about 45 each.

I got them sandblasted for 25 each, painted them myself, and added some chrome lugnuts after the fact.

Now that I have it running exactly as it should, if not better, I figure I can start improving it.

First off, I want to add fog lights. I don't want to drill holes in the bumper or anything, so after doing a bunch of research I figure I should probably mount them on a push bar. I got this idea because of a thread I saw right here where someone had one custom-made. Same year and everything.

They also offered to make one for the OP of that thread. If this person is still around, I'd love to talk to them.

The other thing is routing a switch into the console. I'm not sure where to put it, since there aren't many convenient places. I was thinking right next to the headlight knob but I would have to cut through the metal plate around it to do that. This'll take some thought.

Next is the tires and wheels. I've decided on General Grabber AT2 tires, and I'll probably get 1-inch wheel spacers to make up for the empty space that the wheel covers have left in their absence. Some steel mud flaps would be nice as well.

After that, the exhaust system. I want a dual-exhaust setup to improve power and mileage. I know I don't want headers. I have eyes on Lincoln Logs that I also heard about here, and I'll be getting those soon before they're gone. What I'm not sure about is the mufflers. I don't want it to be much louder than it is. I like how virtually silent it is right now. I won't mind it being loud enough to mask the fuel pump, but I want to keep it as quiet as absolutely possible. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Up next would be the half-top. I want to re-upholster it with ballistic nylon. Don't want to replace anything, just put it right over the top, cut slots for the badges and lights. Ballistic nylon will not be damaged by rocks like this is. It'll also look really nice and make the car a real individual worthy of a name. Not sure how I'll attach it or what I'll use, but I think some silver embroidery would look neat whether it's needed or not.

Last of the main projects would be a tow hitch. As I'm sure you know, the 89 Grand Marquis had an option for a tow package, which is one of the reasons for the standard rear air suspension. I want to add one, so I have the capability if I ever need it.

Everything else I need to do is just small knick-knacks and visual touch-ups.

I want to keep this car for as long as I concievably can. To that end, I want to improve it for the long-term and make it as practical as possible. If anyone knows of anything else I might be able to do, I'd be thankful.

This is all going to take a considerably long time to achieve, since my budget is very small. But I'll make it happen.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 07-02-2014, 03:56 PM.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Sounds like you have some good plans for the car! As far as the mufflers, if you want it quiet you can install a factory dual exhaust system with factory style mufflers that will give you what you are looking for with no noise increase. Also welcome to the site!

X2 with the attachments not working
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

What is going on with the station wagon ?

Comment

That is the push bar I saw on here which I wish to acquire a reproduction of.
        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
          What is going on with the station wagon ?
          Just an example of the push bar/brush guard he's looking for to mount fog lights on.

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
          First off, I want to add fog lights. I don't want to drill holes in the bumper or anything, so after doing a bunch of research I figure I should probably mount them on a push bar. I got this idea because of a thread I saw right here where someone had one custom-made. Same year and everything.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40047[/ATTACH]

They also offered to make one for the OP of that thread. If this person is still around, I'd love to talk to them.

The other thing is routing a switch into the console. I'm not sure where to put it, since there aren't many convenient places. I was thinking right next to the headlight knob but I would have to cut through the metal plate around it to do that. This'll take some thought.
          edit: I see he already explained, I pasted the pic into the relevant section of the quote.
          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-30-2014, 11:55 PM.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thank you my friend, I salute you.
            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

I'll always have a soft spot for an '89 in this paint configuration... especially with turbines. Probably because it's the car I first rode home from the hospital in.
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Thats dmccaig's wagon, and photobombing is 86vickylx.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There you go, thanks 87gtVIC.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Thats dmccaig's wagon, and photobombing is 86vickylx.
                  I'll ask them about it, then. Thanks. The thread was from like three years ago, but it's worth a shot.
                  89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Well after all of that nonsense with all the double posts and attachment problems. Nice car, I like the gauges (No idea if those are stock merc gauges)
                    Looks like you've got a good solid car. I was thinking about a pushbar for a box, I hope you go through with that plan

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Me too. Pretty much depends on whether or not the person who made the one in that photo can help me out. Yes, those are the stock gauges for the 89. The 90 changed the speedo to a horizontal one.

And I hope this can get cleaned up because it's ridiculous.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

I'm sure my brother Nick "CheeseSteakJim" could possibly fab one up for you. He's modifying (To my belief) for Brown Muscle.

Oh and forgot to say, those 1" spacers will do wonders.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

The one on dmccaig's wagon was made by lincolnmania and Ivan. I believe it started life as a part from a truck, but it was modified to fit the Grand Marquis properly. That wagon is actually a pretty crazy piece of machinery if you find the threads on it. It might be listed under either Boulevard Cruiser or Shooting Brake. As far as I know, it is one of two boxes with ABS. The other is owned by John the photobomber. Its got big brakes, rear discs, dual exhaust, electric fans, a rear wiper, auto-dim rearview and side view mirrors, and probably a dozen other things I'm forgetting now. I've driven it a couple times myself, its pretty freakin cool.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat
                            My brother Nick "CheeseSteakJim" on the forum can most likely fab you up a pushbar much of the same, I believe he's modifying one for Brown Muscle too.

Oh and the 1" spacers will do wonders, that tucked in wheel look annoys me aswell
                            If you could find out about that I'd really appreciate it. I'll give whatever info you need to the best of my ability.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            The one on dmccaig's wagon was made by lincolnmania and Ivan. I believe it started life as a part from a truck, but it was modified to fit the Grand Marquis properly. That wagon is actually a pretty crazy piece of machinery if you find the threads on it. It might be listed under either Boulevard Cruiser or Shooting Brake. As far as I know, it is one of two boxes with ABS. The other is owned by John the photobomber. Its got big brakes, rear discs, dual exhaust, electric fans, a rear wiper, auto-dim rearview and side view mirrors, and probably a dozen other things I'm forgetting now. I've driven it a couple times myself, its pretty freakin cool.
                            Well shit, now I'm jealous.
                            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

I haven't been fortunate enough to drive John's insane '86, but I can testify from the passenger's seat that even with "shitty" Cornell 1000 tires, it's a real Beast from the East. And, a 5.0 EFI @ 6,500 RPM is just...

Fukken love his Vic. OMG, is it fast.
                              1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Working...
                              X