Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I call it the Monolith. I have plans for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220330_133417335_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	1290073

Well, no need to worry. We got it out with minimal casualties. Held the top tire back with the Y-pipe, pulled the bottom tire out from under it with a winch and chain, used seats to gradually step it down. Had to winch the seats out from under it, though. That was a pain, but it all came together. Not gonna lie, I feel pretty clever.

I win.

You are probably right about the condition. The whole thing turns easily by hand and carries inertia, the fluid is super clean, and both the flexplate and converter are aftermarket, in excellent condition. So is the starter. I didn't get the plate, but I might next time. Not sure I need it, but I do want it.

The dipstick tube was tragically lost in the process. Not my fault. Don't tell anyone, but I think it was already broken. But now I need to find a new one, and I'm not 100% sure which will fit. If a Mustang tube will fit, then I have a lot of options.

God I hope you're right.

I'll be going back regularly to disassemble as much of this wrecker as possible. This is the only 1st gen Panther available in the entire city. I better take advantage of this while I can. I dunno where all the rest went. They were everywhere a few years ago. Just disappeared. Probably crushed, because they aren't a Mustang.

The '95 also has a freakin huge front sway bar as part of the tow package. I might grab that too.
    Last edited by ootdega; 03-30-2022, 08:02 PM.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

If you don't have a good trans dipstick tube between this donor '90 and your '89, the tube from that '95 will likely work. Mustang tube will fit the trans end but may be shaped in a way that puts the top of the tube in a not useful location (no idea really.)
      Should be one bellhousing bolt holdomg thentube then it pulls up and out of the trans.

The starter on that '90 is wired different compared to the '89. There are threads on converting '89 and down Panthers to the '90+ starter, but if you take the wires to the starter and take note of where they go it could make that swap easier. The '90+ starter uses less power to do the same amount of work and is smaller, making it a desirable swap on the older Panthers.

The '95 front sway bar I think has different mounting for the swaybar endinks, but someone who knows more about that will have to chime in. I'm not familiar with the newer swaybar setup.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Well, it turns out dragging the transmission out of the yard in a wheelbarrow a quarter mile up a hill that peaks at a 30 degree incline, and then doing it again with a set of Lincoln wheels that were in good condition, and then doing it again to get a winch for someone else isn't very good for you. My back was absolutely annihilated and I threw up twice from exhaustion. I was out of commission for a week. My stomach still doesn't quite accept people food.

Haven't made any progress since then because it has been snowing. In April.

Couldn't find the extension housing bolts, and they want 12 bucks a piece online. But they weren't very smart, because they listed the exact specifications of the bolts. So I just took a screenshot to Tacoma Screw and got four grade 10.9 bolts for $1.38. I forgot washers though.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
        If you don't have a good trans dipstick tube between this donor '90 and your '89, the tube from that '95 will likely work. Mustang tube will fit the trans end but may be shaped in a way that puts the top of the tube in a not useful location (no idea really.)
        Should be one bellhousing bolt holdomg thentube then it pulls up and out of the trans.

The starter on that '90 is wired different compared to the '89. There are threads on converting '89 and down Panthers to the '90+ starter, but if you take the wires to the starter and take note of where they go it could make that swap easier. The '90+ starter uses less power to do the same amount of work and is smaller, making it a desirable swap on the older Panthers.

The '95 front sway bar I think has different mounting for the swaybar endinks, but someone who knows more about that will have to chime in. I'm not familiar with the newer swaybar setup.

I got a new tube from an 89 Town Car, same car the wheels came from. Easy. Also got a glovebox latch, since mine is broken. Freakin miracle, that one. Might even figure out how to get it open with this.

I'll keep the starter and sit on it for now, but if there's anything I can do, it's rewire a plug. Every connector in this PC has been rewired. I know my way around a soldering iron, at least.

You're right about the bars. Completely different end links.
        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Well, the shift linkage isn't cooperating. As far as I can tell, I'm doing it right. Following the holy texts and everything. The linkage won't come out, and I'm afraid of breaking something if I try any harder. The nut is just spinning, and so is the lever. So I'm kinda stuck.

I can put it off for now, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

EDIT: It's a teeny tiny little pin. I thought it was some kind of bleeder valve. So I'm trying not to feel like a moron.

https://youtu.be/_6UX9itv1NM
          Last edited by ootdega; 05-17-2022, 03:18 PM.
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

The pin that holds the linkage in place is not going to come out. It's not even a pin. It's a tiny little rolled-up piece of sheet steel. It's not going anywhere, and any options I have are likely to just break the case. So I'm going back to plan A. I'm taking both of them apart, seeing what can be used, and going from there.

The junkyard transmission is in poor external condition, including the tailshaft, and is somehow missing multiple internal parts. The parking pawl literally fell out when I dropped the pan. But the inside is clean, so there's still a good chance most if it is usable.

Considering doing the differential while I'm at this. Not sure how to go about getting the P71 axles shortened. Dutchmann doesn't seem to have an invoice form for that, and that's the only way they accept orders now.

...The badges also came off. I won't lie, that hurt my feelings a little bit.
            Last edited by ootdega; 05-19-2022, 10:55 AM.
            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

It's probably a roll pin. It should come out.
              Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuBBYmPStSs
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                Cool tips. "MM (Monkey Meters) - Ha Ha!
                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I am confused, why do you need p71 axles? I thought everything, but the rare limo HD axles, were the same except for the #of splines 28 changing to 31 in 05 or maybe mid 04. Maybe you have some P71 axles lying around?

I can't remember for sure if the 90 and up axles are actually any longer than 89 and down?
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

its a roll pin, usually they come out with a pair of diagonal cutters. The problem is if some dickhead drove it in there too far during assembly and didn't leave enough sticking out to grab with the pliers.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                      Something like this was suggested to me, but I was concerned about expanding the dumb thing and cracking the case. I'll try it in the future when I put a 4R70W in there. That will probably need a linkage swap too. This one is a lost cause, even if the pin came out. It's missing enough parts below the pan that I don't trust the inside of it either. That's how I'm coping with it, at least. It's already half disassembled.

I'm looking at this as an opportunity to add a few more clutches. It makes me feel better.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      its a roll pin, usually they come out with a pair of diagonal cutters. The problem is if some dickhead drove it in there too far during assembly and didn't leave enough sticking out to grab with the pliers.
                      This is the problem. There was barely enough to grip onto, and the one time I had grip with the cutters, it wouldn't budge. Slipped off, took some of the pin with it, and nothing else ever got a grip. Went out and bought the needliest needlenose pliers I could find, and they were still too thick to get in there. It is a uniquely infuriating experience to have all your plans and the absolutely miserable month attached to them completely trashed by one teeny tiny little pin.

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                      I am confused, why do you need p71 axles? I thought everything, but the rare limo HD axles, were the same except for the #of splines 28 changing to 31 in 05 or maybe mid 04. Maybe you have some P71 axles lying around?

I can't remember for sure if the 90 and up axles are actually any longer than 89 and down?
                      I am replacing the 28s with 31s. I have a Cobra diff to put in it. I bought the P71 axles a long time ago, off a 2011. They are 4 inches longer, which means they have enough space to respline them. Dutchman up in Meridian does that for $130 a pair.

Something to note: I was looking up methods of removing the AOD front pump assembly, and I found someone mention that the starter bolts match the two opposing threaded holes in it. I still had the starter bolts, so (after making sure they fit) I took one to Tacoma Screw and got a couple that were twice as long. This let me just alternate screwing them in until the bolts pushed the pump out. Very easy, has zero risk of damage, cost me a dollar, and requires no special tools whatsoever.
                      Last edited by ootdega; 05-19-2022, 10:36 PM.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Transmission is fully disassembled.

Clutches: Excellent condition. The serial numbers are intact on all but the intermediates, which are still very good.
                        Servos: Can't find anything wrong with them. Not sure what could go wrong with them, to be honest.
                        Seals: Completely intact.
                        Roller clutches/sprags: Intact, with no visible wear.
                        Overdrive band: Visibly burnt.
                        Reverse band: I could not even identify it at first, because all of the friction material is gone. It's just an iron ring. This might explain why there was slightly more metal powder in the pan than expected.

Lost the governor check ball in my haste to remove the last of the innards, but I referenced the Holy Texts for the part number and actually found a bunch for sale. So if I lose the other one, it's not the end of the world. Have not taken apart the valve body yet, though. Saving that for last.

There was pink paint both on the front pump and the end of one of the shafts, so I get the impression this has already been rebuilt once, and whoever did it screwed up on the reverse band somehow. I ordered a basic rebuild kit and both bands, as well as a drop-in shift kit. And now I am officially out of money.

Current predicament: The driveshaft bolts. I can't budge them with a wrench, so that is out of the question. Finding a 12mm 12-point impact socket has set me upon a grand adventure spanning uncharted lands holding untold treasures, and I expect to meet no friends along the way.
                        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Double wrench the wrench.

Or hammer the wrench. You will get it.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

12 point M12 swivel socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RLHUD2/
                            This is the one I have. I've used a half inch impact on this with no issues.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

We found a socket. There wasn't enough space to use it. So I'm glad I didn't have to wait for delivery to learn that. I got it done, though. I was gonna try the double wrench and hammer, but after we got the car higher off the ground, I had more leverage and got it first try. Thank god I didn't have to figure out how we were gonna rotate the driveshaft on ramps.

But after I got the driveshaft out, I learned something that made my stomach sink.

The u-joints are fine. Like, gravity-drop fine.

This means the only possible cause of the wobble and cold clunk noise, as well as the burnt metal smell...is the differential. I do have everything I need to rebuild the whole damn thing, aside from getting the axles done. But I am not looking forward to adjusting backlash, and possibly pinion depth. I really don't want to do all that. Not to mention I am pretty much flat broke for another week and a half.

Click image for larger version

Name:	290.png
Views:	1
Size:	854.0 KB
ID:	1290241
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Well, if the gear are fine, and its just worn bearings, it really not too difficult. Far simpler than disassembling the AOD for sure. The two things to note that will require special tools would be pressing the old pinion bearing off and new one on (a hydraulic press), and a beam style inch pound wrench. I'd rebuild it and then use the gear paint to check the contact pattern, i bet it will be OK and you wont have to change anything with the backlash or pinion depth
                                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X