Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I call it the Monolith. I have plans for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Nick is going to fab up some pushbar brackets for my pushbar, I imagine he wouldn't mind fabricating a pushbar but you'd have to ask him. John's Vicky is quite impressive, and a lot of fun to drive.

Ootdega, do you have any junkyards near you?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Nice. Pretty impressive.

I don't think I want to go for speed, but I'll probably do anything that'll increase power without negatively affecting mileage or reliability.

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
      Yeah Nick is going to fab up some pushbar brackets for my pushbar, I imagine he wouldn't mind fabricating a pushbar but you'd have to ask him. John's Vicky is quite impressive, and a lot of fun to drive.

Ootdega, do you have any junkyards near you?
      Feel free to call me stupid, but how would I go about asking him?

I have one junkyard that I know of, that's where I'm getting one of the manifolds tomorrow. There are probably more.
      Last edited by ootdega; 07-01-2014, 11:15 PM.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
        Well shit, now I'm jealous.
        Until you find out how many tens of thousands that have been spent on that car to complete all those mods and he's just finally getting around to possibly upgrading the engine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          Until you find out how many tens of thousands that have been spent on that car to complete all those mods and he's just finally getting around to possibly upgrading the engine.
          Good point.
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

You can't put a price on perfection.
            1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Shoot a PM over to lincolnmania (Scott) and ask about the push bar on Donalds wagon. He will see if Ivan is up for doing another one. Work out the details with Scott and tell him I sent ya.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Well, I went to take a look at the driver-side Lincoln manifold I planned to buy and it's exactly the same cast-iron one I already have, so this month the budget will be going to fixing the A/C leak.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Shoot a PM over to lincolnmania (Scott) and ask about the push bar on Donalds wagon. He will see if Ivan is up for doing another one. Work out the details with Scott and tell him I sent ya.
                Alright, thanks. And thank you for cleaning this up, it was obnoxious.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

After a lot of research, I've decided to add a supercharger at some point in the future, since it would increase my mileage by at least 6 under normal driving and I'd have a lot more power if I ever needed it for whatever reason. I don't think the engine or cam will be a problem in that respect, but I could be wrong. I'd rather not change anything I don't have to.

On that note, I've also decided that I'm going to just go with headers on the exhaust and use resonators to deal with the noise. I'll need custom pipes, but if I'm going to do it I might as well do it right. I'll go with something similar in shape to the factory bent pipes, to reduce noise and make them less pronounced. Probably 2.5 diameter.

My research has also alerted me of the existence of rear brush guards. I want one. They look cool. I'm not sure how they mount though, so I don't know if they'll interfere with installing a tow hitch.

After taking a look at it last night, I've decided to replace the peripheral lights with LED. Things like the dome lights, keyhole lights, and "courtesy lamps" as the manual calls them

In the realm of EXTREME modifications, I've entertained the thought of reinforcing the doors and the pillars of the frame with carbon fiber or something. Because why the hell not.

It's...pretty much going to be a tank. It's already nigh-indestructible, why not make it hilariously so?
                  89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

6MPG increase with a supercharger?? Where did you read that? I hate to disappoint you but even with a small amount of boost you will not see better fuel economy, and i'd bet more on a 6mpg Decrease rather than increase. There are a lot of cheaper things you can do that will increase power and fuel economy first anyway, like a HO swap/conversion. THEN if you wanted to do a supercharger it would be far better equipped for one.

Plus rear gears...Do you know what you have stock?

Rear brush guard would be cool, I don't think i've seen one on a box panther, but I fully support making one into a tank lol.
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                      6MPG increase with a supercharger?? Where did you read that? I hate to disappoint you but even with a small amount of boost you will not see better fuel economy, and i'd bet more on a 6mpg Decrease rather than increase. There are a lot of cheaper things you can do that will increase power and fuel economy first anyway, like a HO swap/conversion. THEN if you wanted to do a supercharger it would be far better equipped for one.

Plus rear gears...Do you know what you have stock?

Rear brush guard would be cool, I don't think i've seen one on a box panther, but I fully support making one into a tank lol.
                      Why thank you.

I read it in just about every place I looked. Question sites, mechanic boards, videos, and they all have a pretty clear consensus. Under normal driving conditions, a supercharger increases fuel economy significantly. Under harsh driving, it decreases significantly, but that's the price you pay for ridiculous horsepower. They're also very robust machines, so I won't have to worry about it breaking.

I don't really know if I want to bother with an HO engine. My concerns would be reliability, economy, cost, and availability. I haven't done any research on it though, since I've never heard of it before I got here. What's the difference?

I have no idea what my rear gears are. I'm still learning about all this. I'm researching all I can, but there are only so many hours in the day and I can only look up things I know about.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Difference is basically better flowing heads, better flowing intake, and a different camshaft. Gain is about 65 horsepower and 20 ft/lb of torque. Not an insignificant amount of that is the heads and intake though. They aren't by any stretch a radical engine, and in stock form are much better suited to a supercharger. The stock engine pistons are a cast dished piston that will not be happy about the heat from boost. The HO pistons are forged with valve reliefs, and you can abuse the BS out of them. The HO heads are better than stock, but not amazing. There are better factory castings out there. Same with the intake. Intake and heads from an Explorer would actually be an improvement for an HO. HO motors can be found in fox body Mustangs and the Mark VII, some Thunderbird an Couger as well. There is also the 5.0 Explorer motor that has hypereutectic pistons and the better heads and intake.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright, thanks. So if possible the Ford Explorer would be a better option for parts, then? What years?
                          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

96 for more exhaust options (gt40 heads) 97 to whenever they put the 4.6 in it... I think 99 or 2000 when the body changed again for the GT40p heads that require certain heads and wires. They both work well though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

96 for more exhaust options (gt40 heads) 97 to whenever they put the 4.6 in it... I think 99 or 2000 when the body changed again for the GT40p heads that require certain heads and wires. They both work well though.
                              A quick look tells me GT40 heads double the cost of E7s and GT40 headers octuple the cost of standard headers. I'll have to avoid those unless I can find an outstanding deal somehow. I'll be on the lookout.
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

occasionally you can find complete junkyard engines for cheap which can really knock down the price.

Comment

Working...
                                X