No announcement yet.

'Ready' for echeck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah... that's bad. you may have fried that leg in the ECM. Multimeter is much better for that. Even that cheap $6 one from HF would serve well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ah so. After I get this thing through echeck I'll do some learnin'.

I'm gonna get a JY PCM tomorrow. There's two 03 MGMs in driving distance rotting away at pullaparts, hopefully I can find one that works, and I'll try to disable the PATS with this I found at Crownvic.net:

"You can also make the ground connection right at the PCM connector. The 2003 civ CV PATS wire at the PCM connector is pin #44 (grey with red stripe) It's in one of the center rows 5 pins up from the center bolt. Remove this wire from the connector (or cut it if you don't care to be able to reverse it) and just connect it to the wire at pin #25(black wire). This is one pin down from the outside narrow edge of the connector on the very next row over from the grey/red stripe wire row.

On PI's pin #44 is grounded in the PI harness into the wire at the pin #25 circuit to make the starter work without a PATS system.

This is also a good way to bypass the PATS system it you think that is the cause of a no-crank condition on a PATS car with a PATS PCM."

Hope it works, wish me luck.

Pete
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

LUCK!

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Thanks

Pete
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

No luck () with the JYs so I bought a used one off ebay, $45 delivered.

Disconnected the battery, pulled the old one, stuck the new one in, no crank/no start, so did the below wiring mod, now it cranks/no start.

So I put the old one back in. Cranks/won't start.

A couple questions: When trying this stuff I just plugged the PCM in under the hood. I went as far as grounding the case to the battery. Would that matter?

I checked fuses. I went to swap relays around but those stupid things just pull the covers off, I'll get a couple new ones to try.

And what might be a big one, the check engine light does not come on with the KOEO.

Any suggestions?

Pete

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post

"You can also make the ground connection right at the PCM connector. The 2003 civ CV PATS wire at the PCM connector is pin #44 (grey with red stripe) It's in one of the center rows 5 pins up from the center bolt. Remove this wire from the connector (or cut it if you don't care to be able to reverse it) and just connect it to the wire at pin #25(black wire). This is one pin down from the outside narrow edge of the connector on the very next row over from the grey/red stripe wire row.

On PI's pin #44 is grounded in the PI harness into the wire at the pin #25 circuit to make the starter work without a PATS system.

This is also a good way to bypass the PATS system it you think that is the cause of a no-crank condition on a PATS car with a PATS PCM."

Pete

Comment

There's a really good shop in Akron for chasing down electrical gremlins, but it's like $75-100/hr for diagnostics. They're called Wire Wizards. I haven't used them yet, but they are the best in the area from what I hear, and usually find shit decently fast. They moved buildings awhile back, and the old address was listed for google place page, so I changed it by reporting to google the address was incorrect.
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Thanks, I'll definitely keep them in mind. A shop is fast becoming an option!

The wire condition overall is degrading on the aging missy, it's entirely possible I broke a wire fooling with the big PCM plug.

Pete

Comment

After being out of town, and broke, and a little lazy I finally spent a little more time on her.

Put it back together with the old ECU and the two wires connected to each other but not the ECU. Starts fine (thank goodness!).

Put the used ECU I picked up in the same way, turns over but no start, and the red light on the dash blinks furiously. I also tried it with the connected two wires attached to the ground on the ECU, and then both, again to the ECU as well as each other.

I'm thinking of having it flashed at the dealer.

Pete

Comment

It's been down since the last post

I did just get an ECU off ebay that comes flashed with 2 programmed keys, you just have the keys cut.

It starts! Sidenote, no matter how I connected/disconnect the wires mentioned I could not disable the PATS.

Anyway, since I have used my 2 tep tags allowable I called downstate (to the State Capitol, DMV headquarters) and asked what to do. They said go to your local license office, tell your story, they have discretion to issue a 3rd tag. I need the tag to drive the car awhile to reset the emissions part of the ECU, and pass an echeck so I can get my plates.

I go down, explain my issue, they just dismiss me out of hand with a 'nope', they are not allowed to issue a 3rd. I'm like, what do you mean no, you're saying the only thing I can legally do with this $6k car is have it towed to the JY?? (as I can't drive it without a temp tag and I can't get it echecked without driving it) The lady casually said yes!!

Temperature rising I ask for the manager. At first he says the SAME THING. I'm about fit to be tied. FINALLY they called downstate, who tells them the can't issue a third tag.

I'm trying not to lose my temper, after all it's not their decision. But the total lack of even pretending to care was astounding! F'ing bureaucrats.

So I go home and call downstate again. This guy said the office was correct, they can't issue a third. I tell him the JY thing, what do I do?? He says there is nothing, but right before I was about to explode he said wait, try the State EPA (they run echeck).

He gives me a number, off to another long hold time. I get the guy, explain the situation, and at first he goes with the JY option again. The voices, they're telling me to kill. When I start going off he said wait, do you have a failed echeck less than 60 day sold? I said no. He said well I don't know what to do but call your local EPA office, gives me the number.

At this point my head is about to explode. I dial. A human answers. Nice lady. I try to calmly explain the situation. She goes, oh no, you don't need a failed echeck, just take your receipts up to your local echeck and explain the situation, they should be able to give you a waiver or extension. The voices are telling me to kiss the lady through the phone.

So I'm going to head up there in the next day or three. What gets me the most about all this is, nobody really cared. If the receipts thing doesn't work I'm having a long talk with the governors office.

And before anyone asks, I don't want to sign it over to the SO for certain financial reasons. I may have to have a bud do it, but we live out farther than we used to and the hours don't match much. May have to anyway.

But still, what a cluster. And I still don't know if it'll pass!

Pete

Comment

dang. Good luck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I can be your beard, dude, if you're buyin'. Non-E-check county here, yo. PM or whatever. No problem-o.

Comment

By that, of course I meant transfer the car into my name then back into yours as "gift" or whatever. I forget how much title fees run even though I just got a title on the '82.

Comment

Many thanks hot potato Always wanted a beard

I appreciate it, I'll let you know.

Pete

Comment

Printed the receipts, went into the echeck station, aaaannnnnnnnnnnd:

I have plates

Of course it couldn't have been THAT simple, because the guy didn't think o2 sensors had anything to do with o2 heater circuits so he disallowed them, making me go buy an oil change before giving me a waiver Heck I didn't even argue, he had the discretion to give it to me or not!

Nice to drive a nice car again, with power steering, brakes that stop you in a timely fashion and more than 80 horsepower, all of which I've been missing in the S-10.

Weirdly once I used a key flashed to the 'new' computer the old key then worked (it did not before), that's with the two previously mentioned wires on the 'puter attached to each other, and the two wires on the harness attached to each other. After the pooter resets I'll report whether the problem is fixed or not. If not, I'm going to admit I'm a total abject failure and take it in.

Pete

Comment

Glad you got it worked out! Now drive the hell out of it!

Comment

Working...
                                X