Time for a rebuild - cam and engine selection help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4r70w is in, here is what is needed for this swap for future reference:

- 98 and newer 4r70w which has many internal upgrades to handle more power. needs to have 5.0 bellhousing bolt pattern which is found on 5.0 explorers, 4.2 V6 Ford trucks and 3.8 V6 Mustangs from this vintage.

- Stock 12" 4r70w converter or aftermarket one with correct bolt pattern ( used the 11.25" higher stall w furnace brazed fins Marauder converter and had to drill new holes into the stock flexplate which is a pain)

- I did the infamous "J-Mod" to help strengthen the trans even more. It's basically enlarging some holes in the separator plate and removing a spring just like a shift kit but almost no cost but the drill bits.

- swap over your stock AOD tailshaft housing and dipstick tube.

- shorten driveshaft approx. 7/8" unless you had a Lincoln trans already with the longer AOD tailshaft. Then you can leave the driveshaft you have and get a tailshaft from a non-Lincoln AOD car.

- crossmember from a 92 and newer whale and the box AOD mount. No mods needed with this combo

- Linkage I am still working out as I have an 84 with the rods. I'll probably have to fab this up.

- Us Shift controller(500) or manual valvebody

The car is heading off to the exhaust shop for the downpipe and crossover/wastegate fabrication. I'll take pics when that's done. Intercooler is mounted and engie bay is just about done...pics coming Tuesday...
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Why does the tailshaft housing have to change over? Honest question, I know very little about particulars of stuffing a 4R70w in place of an AOD.

Another option for controlling this might be to use 94-95 SN95 ECM from an auto Mustang. That would give you mass air capability, and those cars came with an AODE. A minor re-pin of the harness will make a 4R70w work with that setup. It does involve a fairly large amount of pin moving at the ECM connector though if you start off with a Vic wiring harness. It probably would net out cheaper than the stand-alone controller plus the usual mass air ECM, but you'd need to buy some sort of a tuner hardware to allow futzing with the trans shift points if you want to change them. May end up a wash in the end.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The slip yoke is actually slightly larger in an aode/4r70w even though the spline count is the same. You can slip your aod driveshaft in but it would leak quite a bit from that rear seal. You could also try to use a 4r70w driveshaft but that was not as easy as just swapping over tailshaft housings for me.

You are correct on the sn95 computer I think...i personally don't like those computers as much for performance useage and you would lose the adjustability the us shift controller gives. But, if you were willing to do the home work on re pinning from the box wiring harness I think that could be a viable options to save a chunk of change. I can't imagine it's too different as a fox mustang computer and the box wiring harness require so little re pinning.
        Last edited by drhill; 05-25-2015, 01:14 PM.
        1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

The SN95 has a fair bit of different pins. The Fox mass air ECM is like 3 wires, the SN95 is 20 or something. I looked into it once because you can get those computers cheaper, but decided I was lazy and didn't want to fool with it.

Wasn't aware the front yoke was different. I guess thats why people use the AOD front yoke with the later aluminum driveshaft. Never really paid attention to it. Just hopefully you don't have driveshaft vibration issues. The usual fix is to swap in the later aluminum driveshaft. Unless you have a tow package, I believe that involves swapping the rear flange too, or using the conversion U joints and stock rear flanges.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

dang, time flies. after fighting a useless exhaust shop getting the hot side for the turbo set up correctly and jury duty I'm back on the wagon. had a to get a bracket from the j yard for the trans linkage to work properly - just something that got thrown away when I did the HO swap 3 years ago. amazingly - the explorer 4r70w is the only 98 and later 4r70w that has a threaded protrusion on the side of the bell housing to mount the bracket for our box trans linkage! This truly was a bolt in sway with the whale crossmember and that protrusion on the trans.

had a nasty knock pop up the other day, spend 1/2 a day trying to find it but it just went away on it's own? weird, gave it some revs and it disappeared. thinking maybe lifters were not pumping up for a while? it was coming from the valve covers...

Comment

I'm not on here too much but I thought I would dive back in 2.5 years later to update on my wagon...finally got all the bugs worked out, so many little stupid things, mainly caused by me trying to save money at every turn and having questionable work done by others that I had to fix later.

Anyways, got the turbo spooling up nicely and got her on the dyno last week. I bought a used old school Anderson Ford Motorsport PMS and some 36lb injectors and ditched the FMU and the MSD BTM. She made 360 hp and 430 lb/ft torque at the wheels on about 10 lbs of boost. I also swapped in a 3.55 gear set and trac loc I had lying around. She's a monster now but is really docile on the street. My plan is to take it to the Zip Tie drags in Tucson this month to see what she'll run in the 1/4 mile...I'm hoping for 12's on the 205/75/15 white wall tires! If not I have some drag radials I can resort to if need be...

I can post pics too if anyone is interested...it's pretty ugly underneath the hood though!

Comment

Originally posted by drhill View Post
                I can post pics too if anyone is interested...it's pretty ugly underneath the hood though!
                Since it's not stock that makes up for ugly in my book. More than double the HP of any of my cars... heck yeah!
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Nice, you've done a lot more with this than most of us have.

Comment

I love the sound of this! My plan is to be ugly in a stock-looking 30-year-old shitty old man car way. I had that briefly with a whole fresh used top end on my last car before it got wrecked. With what you have it seems there's a lot left in that tune. With 10lb of boost there's no good reason you shouldn't be well into 400 at the wheels. I'd love to see pics and better yet, video of this beast. Thanks for popping back up with updates!

Comment

I'll have pics up tomorrow...trying to get to a local 1/8 mile track in the next week or so and I'll see if I can get video there...

I agree, should be over 400 rwhp and higher torque...but the tubo "kit" i have is vintage to say the least and wasn't designed for big power like the current mustang kits are...mine is the one in the article below...although I'm not using the box intake and some other cold side parts that rotted away over the years.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...tang-5.0-Turbo

Comment

At the time those were a pretty hot kit but technology has come a very long way since then. I'm still considering one of the old Incon/DDMI twin kits just because it's a bolt-on and Cal-legal E.O. numbered. We'll see, haven't even got my motor built yet...

Comment

ho cam, HO TB, ported E7s, ported lower, ported LOPO upper, 3.55 gears is what I used to get 32.9 MPG. Would have liked to try 3.27 and 3.08 gears as i believe it could have done better. I did try a HO upper and a HO ported upper both seemed to loose low end power maybe got 200 RPM more out of the engine but wasnt worth the loss of low end might have even lost ET in a quarter mile run with either HO upper. It was nice to drive over 600 miles on a tank of gas.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

There is a practical reliable power limit you can get to with a 302. Also a practical reliable RPM limit before the block twists too much and starts puking head gaskets.

Comment

Pics of the headers and piping with the panther frame/steering would be awesome. I've been going back and forth between power adders for my 408, figuring a pair of smaller twins would make things a bit easier with the steering box in the way. Though a shit-ton of n2o would be easier to keep under a stock hood with my intake

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                There is a practical reliable power limit you can get to with a 302. Also a practical reliable RPM limit before the block twists too much and starts puking head gaskets.
                                ...and walking the main bearings. Many years ago a buddy was going to give me his 306 once he got his 347 done, but he stuck a novi 2000 on it running 12psi and split the block in half instead. Made a great picture that i wish i still had, but no short block for my poor coupe at the time.

Lesson is that if you plan to make BIG power, get an aftermarket block or go 351 block as they are much stronger. My 347 is going to be very mild and sort of temporary until i can get real stuff and move to a real state where i don't have to worry about silly smog shit. Many of you don't realize how good you have it when it comes to modification. Not saying life is any easier but yeah, it is. EVERYTHING is too expensive here and we're finally moving toward an escape plan. Meanwhile, i smog the car in a couple months and then the good shit goes in. Woo!

Comment

Working...
                                X