Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is bringing an upgraded steering box....Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay so 98 to 02 CVPI preferably for stiffest steering.

I do utilize a power steering cooler so try to find one from cop car....

The return line is the low pressure side I would say right?

For the pitman arm...is that press fitted on? Easy to remove at junkyard. Same question for the lower flange. Pressed onto the gear box? and bolted onto the rest of the steering shaft?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I got 02' CVPI Red Head gear box up for grabs.

Comment

Don't Count on the Pitman Arm Being Easy!

I can't really comment on most of your steering box queries, but I can share my recent experience with Pitman arms. It's basically a press fit, but tightening the nut is what does the pressing. In my case, I used a 14" breaker bar with about four feet of cheater bars to loosen and tighten the nut. (I've seen people say the nut is 1 5/16" or 34mm, but mine was actually 33mm.) When tightening, I didn't have a torque wrench that went up to 250ft-lbs or whatever the recommended torque was, but I could feel the Pitman arm bottom out, and applying any more torque would not have done any good. (It's amazing how much strain the steering lock was able to take.)

When I did my research, I didn't see a single account of the Pitman arm being easy to remove. The easiest that I saw was using an impact wrench on a Pitman arm puller and having the Pitman arm pop off with an explosive "bang". To avoid having the arm fly off in such a case, leave the nut on the end of the shaft. One useful tip was grinding away part of the arm near the shaft to loosen the fit, and I had to resort to this since my puller couldn't handle the strain, though I didn't have the benefit of an impact wrench. Grinding is probably the safest way to go, but be careful not to grind into the shaft.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
          I got 02' CVPI Red Head gear box up for grabs.
          I gotta pull a bunch of bits and pieces to make this mod work in the first place so unless the price is stellar I would have to pass considering I will basically have the part I need in hand.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What is Nascar steering?
            How is it different from HPP steering?
            Do any, including Redhead have the quick steering ratios?

Excuse me for asking simple questions.
            I have CRS syndrome some of the time.

Thank you,
            Mike
            90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
            90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
            91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
            70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

read the link gadget posted above.

david, i would be careful getting a used one from a pi vic........most were used as taxis afterwards and have 350,000-400,000 miles. thains steering box came from a 12,000 mile wreck and i used the hpp steeting box on the shooting brake cause it's reman and has a lifetime warranty. the pi box is only available from ford now iirc and has around a 500 dollar retail price.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

rock auto has one left.

MOTORCRAFT Part # STG35RM {#XW7C3504AARM, XW7Z3504ABRM} - Reman
                Police Interceptor (Only 1 Remaining)
                $253.89 $150.00 $403.89

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

new ones used to be available yrs ago, i'm out of the loop

Comment

Yeah I seen the one on rock auto. Thinking about it. According to Thains link the pi's would be the ones I want. I want the steering stiff. Finding one of those nowadays would be near impossible. Decisions to be made. lol
                    ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydogfilms View Post
                      What is Nascar steering?
                      How is it different from HPP steering?
                      Do any, including Redhead have the quick steering ratios?

Excuse me for asking simple questions.
                      I have CRS syndrome some of the time.

Thank you,
                      Mike
                      the 99-02 pi steering box has the stiffest torsion spring........that in turn stiffens up the steering, if you like pinky steer than this is not for you.

for keeping pinky steer feel and better response use the 98-02 hpp steering gear.

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                        I can't really comment on most of your steering box queries, but I can share my recent experience with Pitman arms. It's basically a press fit, but tightening the nut is what does the pressing. In my case, I used a 14" breaker bar with about four feet of cheater bars to loosen and tighten the nut. (I've seen people say the nut is 1 5/16" or 34mm, but mine was actually 33mm.) When tightening, I didn't have a torque wrench that went up to 250ft-lbs or whatever the recommended torque was, but I could feel the Pitman arm bottom out, and applying any more torque would not have done any good. (It's amazing how much strain the steering lock was able to take.)

When I did my research, I didn't see a single account of the Pitman arm being easy to remove. The easiest that I saw was using an impact wrench on a Pitman arm puller and having the Pitman arm pop off with an explosive "bang". To avoid having the arm fly off in such a case, leave the nut on the end of the shaft. One useful tip was grinding away part of the arm near the shaft to loosen the fit, and I had to resort to this since my puller couldn't handle the strain, though I didn't have the benefit of an impact wrench. Grinding is probably the safest way to go, but be careful not to grind into the shaft.

Ya, I certainly wouldn't be trying to pull a pitman arm at a junk yard...

Just leave it on and take it apart at your pleasure.

The HPP box has a 98-02 CVPI box. It's stiff that's for sure. Quite literally a night and day difference from a stock box.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

buy the box with the arm, remove it later. its a pain in the ass to do when properly equipped and virtually impossible to do otherwise. Definitely watch the mileage on the car. Worn out boxes are useless.

Input shaft is just a bolt you remove, then another bolt further up to get the shaft out.

Return line = low pressure line.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Now the input shaft is held onto the rest of the steering shaft via rivets at the rag joint. Will sawzall cut through steering shaft? I already purchased new lines (I know I have to adapt them to my system) and the police pump from rock auto. Now all I need is the input shaft. Trying to figure out the quickest way to snatch that.
                            ~David~

Comment

Hmm I see 99 steering shaft on ebay. Only thing it is missing is the pinch bolt at the pump.

I don;t even have to get messy!
                              ~David~

Comment

a sawzall probably will cut it, but it has a slip joint between the rag joint an the U joint at the brake booster, and you can usually just give it a yank to get the part that is useful for this. The box shaft has a slip joint there too, but I don't think the shafts are the same shape. Can't say I've really looked into it either though.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X