Subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subs

Looking at adding 2 10s or 8s to my wagon. Just wondering where you guys are putting them? Is there enough room under the plastic panels on the sides to put some bumpage?

The wheel wells are behind that plastic panel(where the speaker is) so there isn't much room.

I was trying to get a hold of an extra set of trim panels to make some fiberglass enclosures for 8" subs but that hasn't gotten very far.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Subs

Hate to grave dig threads but....

I just installed a Kicker Hideaway under the passenger front seat. It's small enough to not get kicked by passengers and it's really good for its small size. Amazon has a refurbished version for $150.
      1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
      2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
      1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
      2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
      2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
      2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
      2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

I'm guessing you mean this one: https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-Hideaw.../dp/B007LQWSYC

Looks like a stout little bit of kit. Doesn't look any bigger than the amp for my subs. It quite literally could be mounted almost anywhere.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah it's great. Just don't expect it to get really loud. It's been fine for my listening needs. I listen to modern rock, ska, electro swing, 70s, 80s rock.

Comment

Nice way to get a little bottom end without giving up any cargo space. The under-seat area is pretty much a waste anyway, not much but dead fries and loose change is stored there.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a mid 2000's Ford soft shell owners manual zip up thingie i have adapted to hold CD's when I first got the car back in 2006 that resides underneath the passengers side seat. To be honest, it has been pretty much sitting there since untouched. lol
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

My subs are mounted in a "Down fire" Box due to the desire that I did not want to vibrate my trunk and not here good base.

Comment

Originally posted by longroof87 View Post
                  Hate to grave dig threads but....

I just installed a Kicker Hideaway under the passenger front seat. It's small enough to not get kicked by passengers and it's really good for its small size. Amazon has a refurbished version for $150.
                  I have one under the passenger seat too, I wasn't expecting much but was pleased with the output when I put it in.
                  1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

They say the area under the seat provides HVA/C circulation...
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

meh. Never had an issue with my amp under the seat in the beater. And it's larger than that speaker housing (manual seat). You still have either side and the area above the speaker to the seat itself. Circulation will still happen.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        They say the area under the seat provides HVA/C circulation...
                        So far, it hasn't seemed to cause any issues. Plus, if the circulation really mattered and actually made a difference, the sub would've become from floor heat. Yesterday after 2 hours of driving, the sub was still cool to the touch. Not ice cold but, room temperature type of cool.

Comment

Before doing a sub upgrade, you must do an alternator upgrade. Its pitiful to not be able to maintain voltage when stopped at a light with the heat and headlights on. It's not only better but also safer if you go with a 3G alternator.

Back in June I installed a '95 Mustang GT alternator and a Painless Performance fox body 3G upgrade. The charge cable is not long enough to route nicely so, you'll need to cut your own. It comes with crimp on connectors and heat shrink so all you need is the cable.

There was a ground wire that I ended up grounding to the housing of the alternator itself because if I went to the battery, I didn't get a charge. I may post pictures once I'm back in town if somebody wants them.

Comment

150W sub runs on a 15 amp fuse typically (20A max). Even the stock alternator can handle that, but as with all 2G alts, best to upgrade to the 3G.

Comment

I ran my stocker 2G with my sub for awhile, it was pitiful. When I swapped to a 3G it was a major improvement for soundquality, the sub hit harder & tighter with less impact on the lights. I also installed a 2F capacitor and that helped loads, at least by 75%. I used a charge cable from a 90's Continental, was long enough to go from the starter solenoid past the battery, along the core support and up the driver's side frame rail to the existing harness to then meet the alternator. No splicing or any of that, has a fusible link incorporated right at the eyelet going to the SS. If I had to do it again I'd take two of them and splice just enough length to get me running the wire along the driver's side fender and then meeting up with that harness for a more factory look. As it is now though you can't even tell the swap has been done, looks natural.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X