85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Well as I was claiming last Scottfest - 13, that I was thinking of buying a two-door. Looks like I found one I needed, due to it being white and my current whale being white.. Was a big selling point for me

Was a clean car from New Jersey, me and Nick went and picked it up with a solid 9 hour truck ride on Friday 4-7-14

I bought it because I recently bought a 351 Windsor two weeks prior, seeing I had an engine.. I finally had a full reason to invest in a box to put it in. (Or atleast that's how I saw it)

History,
    Third owner, bought it from a kid who had no idea what it was and didn't even know how to check the oil. It seems to be fully loaded, other than not having vent windows (Real downer..)
    it has full red vinyl interior which is in pretty good condition. The body showed no signs of rot, anywhere. Both doors are solid, frame is solid. The only rust spot was by the drivers side ditch light.

What I've done / plans.

Power plant the 351 in with some minor upgrades.
    > Weiand Stealth Intake
    > Demon 650 carb
    > Cam
    > GT40 or P heads (Planned for later on)
    > New rings, gaskets ect.

Hoping this won't nuke the AOD until I have the funds for a T5 swap.

Yesterday I finally was able to start working on it.

Yesterday 6/7/14
    > Took off front front tires to check brake condition and bleed sometime soon.
    > Tore out all smog related equipment pump, hoses, cut the cat lines and capped the hose coming out of the rear of the head.
    > Figured since I'll need a new belt anyways and since it'll have to come out, took the AC out, leaving the condenser in place and removed all bracketing.
    > Ordered new KYB front shocks, Nick believes I should've ordered the police shocks (due to heavier motor coming) and I also was going to do that. Though, last second I decided I'd order the KYBs since the PI ones were Monroe.

Today 7/7/14
    > Tore out all of the Y-piping and took off both down pipes, seeing I had a BBK H pipe that is supposed to go with short tubes, that I purchased from Nick.
    > Atempted to install said H pipe, finding out it indeed won't seal fully without short tubes and has open O2 sensors holes, seeing the short tubes don't.
    > Picked up short tubes from Nick that I was planning to test fit on the 351 (Wasn't perfectly sure that they had the same exhaust ports, now know.)

> Got discouraged that my "new" H-pipe wouldn't fit. Decided I'd pull the manifolds and put on the short tubes (I still need to pay Nick for).

Future plans
    > Aero rear end, disk brakes with Trac-Loc and 3.55s
    > Order or find some sort of wheels.
    > Source PI swaybars and cargo coils.
    > Late model PI Vic aluminum drive shaft.
    > Late model PI Vic front air spoiler
    > Alternator upgrade
    > 88' and up front clip swap, keeping rear the same.
    > WC T5 swap
    > Aluminum flywheel
    > GT40 or GT40P heads.
    > Taillight and headlight relay upgrade
    > Maybe tuck front and rear bumper (back of mind thought)
    Last edited by Bobcat; 07-07-2014, 10:27 PM.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Tudor club best club!

Looks clean, plus white on white always looks good.

85 AOD's are pretty weak IIRC, but it should hold up somewhat. A T5 on the other hand.... I'd make sure you get a built one at the very least.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

WOW! Now that's what I call a score. White with the red pinstripes is a beautiful color combination. Easily my favorite factory color scheme for the coupes, and it's my second favorite for the sedans. Interior looks minty as hell. I bet the dash pad isn't cracked either. Win. Aside from that aforementioned rust spot and small dent in passenger door, she's perfect cosmetically. Neither of those are expensive to fix either.

Love where this car's heading. She's gonna be a rip roaring little hot rod. Looking forward to seeing her at Scottsfest!
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        Tudor club best club!

Looks clean, plus white on white always looks good.

85 AOD's are pretty weak IIRC, but it should hold up somewhat. A T5 on the other hand.... I'd make sure you get a built one at the very least.
        Yeah.. I'm not going to put a Trac-Loc in, until the AOD is out. So it'll just spin the tires and not hook and destroy the AOD.. Wise advice from Nick.

WOW! Now that's what I call a score. White with the red pinstripes is a beautiful color combination. Easily my favorite factory color scheme for the coupes, and it's my second favorite for the sedans. Interior looks minty as hell. I bet the dash pad isn't cracked either. Win. Aside from that aforementioned rust spot and small dent in passenger door, she's perfect cosmetically. Neither of those are expensive to fix either.

Love where this car's heading. She's gonna be a rip roaring little hot rod. Looking forward to seeing her at Scottsfest!
        I would've posted the interior shots but I deleted them and I'm not a big picture taker. The middle of the dash is destroyed where I believe there was perforated holes for heat? But that's it.
        It's got a dent on the driver's door that sometime I'll look into and a nasty 3" by 6" scrape on the other door. Otherwise It's fine.

On a side note, I drove the car once down my street before tearing it apart. It's TBI by the way and it'll just be carb when done.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Nice car! I like the plans you have for it.

'93 T-bird
          '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
          '88 Mark VII
          '86 CV

Comment

Sweet dude! Can't wait to see some more progress pics and posts!

Loving the tudor!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Nice score Logan.

Whats on the junkyard list for you this SF?
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Saw this car on Saturday night, and its a nice score.

Welcome to the white tudor club.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Nice score Logan.

Whats on the junkyard list for you this SF?
                  Hopefully aluminum drive shaft, late model front spoiler, Alternator, late model Towncar seats for my whale (maybe) and maybe a 88+ front clip.

Saw this car on Saturday night, and its a nice score.

Welcome to the white tudor club.
                  Still need to see yours, in person...

Oh and you left a nasty one wheel peel in the street...

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Todays progress.

Went and bought bolts for headers (Just wanted something to do the job for now, until the 351 goes in)
                    started to bolt up the headers, completing the passenger side with ease (It was like these car were meant to have short tubes) then went to the drivers side, took off the manifold without any problems, put RTV on the header and started to put it in, noticing that it had a snapped stud from what looked like happened long long ago. Cut the bit of the stud off, drilled out the hole and put in a bolt then put that header in, bolted up the H-Pipe and it seems it will need a 4" piece of straight pipe between them to connect them. Had to make the passenger's side O2 sensor wire longer, soldered and shrink wrapped.

Started the car up to a sound that I could only compare to that of a Bi-plane motor idling.

Waiting on my shocks to come so I can put them in and then I'll bleed the brakes and see what else I can stir up to fix, or fuck up.

Exhaust out.

Short tubes in.

H-Pipe installed, went from factory 2"? to 2.5 duals.

Since I'm running on a budget, I'll probably use the wheels off the 06. Decided to jack it up and take on off to try it on, mere curiosity.
                    Attached Files

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Stupid question time, what's a ditch light?
                      1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

That little light in front of the wheel at the bottom of the fender. See the pic in the post above yours.

It comes on when the corresponding turn signal is turned on. At some point in time, they changed the operation slightly, where they only turn on if the headlights are on. 89, 90 maybe. I know my 84 would turn them on when the turn signal was activated. The '90 only turns them on when the headlights are on.
                        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Nice purchase.......I really like what you have planned for that car.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                            That little light in front of the wheel at the bottom of the fender. See the pic in the post above yours.

It comes on when the corresponding turn signal is turned on. At some point in time, they changed the operation slightly, where they only turn on if the headlights are on. 89, 90 maybe. I know my 84 would turn them on when the turn signal was activated. The '90 only turns them on when the headlights are on.
                            I was thinking of re-wiring mine to come on with headlights High - Low beams. I love the excessive light my marauder corners give on my whale.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

passengers side header was a breeze because you cheated. lol You had no smog and ac systems in your way.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X