No announcement yet.

85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No slushbox for you, do it right, get a TKO. I might fork over the cash for one when my NV3500 goes out in my truck and I build a fresh 350 for it.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

yeah I know, I'm the only guy who actually likes the AOD. My track record has been much better with those vs the T5 guys it seems. I did kill one, but I had to catch the car on fire to do it. I'll call that a no-fault on the transmission's part.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm with Thain on this one... Let the car row the gears... I'll ride in comfort.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is it me or does a manual seem strange in a "luxury" vehicle? I see manuals fitting better in a sports cars or small import.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I've always wanted a stick in a big car, but after driving my LTD a while, I don't even want to put any additional gauges inside it, much less chop a raggedy hole in the floor to put in the wrong transmission that will be difficult to shift sitting on a couch. That a good enough run-on sentence? I would've put a stick in my '98 because it was a dirty shitbox old cop car, but the box is so nice I just couldn't do it. If I were going to though, a t5 would be a poor choice I'd say. They were alright in a stock or mildly-modded mustang, but those also weight about a ton less than our cars guys. Try a hard launch or two and scatter that poor t5, then you're playing the tranny swap game again. Just get a TKO or build the aod and call it good.

Comment

Guess my post update didn't go through..

The 285s are the for rear, and I have 255s for the front..

Who in gods name would have 11.5" tires in the front, on a panther.

Yes, TKO was the upgrade plan all along. Manuals outclass automatics anyday, gotta keep the racecar theme. It'd be boring if it was stock, like many of the others.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I like manuals because I've never driven an auto that shifted it where I wanted it to. Not as bad when you've got plenty of power but gets worse the slower the vehicle. We have an International 4300 straight truck at work with an auto and it annoys me, always shifts early or late. Had a Freightliner M2 106 at my last job with a 6spd manual, had more power and you could drive it so much easier.

That said, I probably wouldn't put one in my car, just doesn't seem right to put a manual in a 4-door Town Car, much less a dirt slow stock one. When I have my AOD rebuilt, I'll just have a small aux cooler and shift kit installed for firmer shifts and extend its life a bit. Other that that, AOD is fine for a big slow luxury boat. In a smaller, quicker car like a Mustang, a manual is the only option.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

"AOD is fine for a big slow luxury boat. In a smaller, quicker car like a Mustang, a manual is the only option." My point exactly!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

My brothers 5spd towncar was a blast to be in. Even though it's a slow bone stock engine, you still get the manual experience.

Looks like my starter is about to die. Son of a bitch, it's never ending sorrows with this bastard.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      yeah I know, I'm the only guy who actually likes the AOD. My track record has been much better with those vs the T5 guys it seems. I did kill one, but I had to catch the car on fire to do it. I'll call that a no-fault on the transmission's part.
                      Honestly I was perfectly happy with my AOD and never had a problem out of it. I can drive stick but I really prefer not too and gotta say I'll probably never own a vehicle with a manual trans, I drive to relax not to go fast. Not that I have anything against anyone who likes to go fast, it's just not my style.
                      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I had 275 40 18s on the front of my coupe, on an 18x9 wheels.

They did not rub, and I did not cut the fenders. There are certainly pictures around here somewhere.

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                        I like manuals because I've never driven an auto that shifted it where I wanted it to. Not as bad when you've got plenty of power but gets worse the slower the vehicle. We have an International 4300 straight truck at work with an auto and it annoys me, always shifts early or late. Had a Freightliner M2 106 at my last job with a 6spd manual, had more power and you could drive it so much easier.
                        When I was in college I used to deliver mattresses for a small company. When it came time for the company to get new lease trucks, I requested a standard shift. We had previously had some older Internationals with automatics, and they were turds. Plus, no one wanted to drive the stick trucks, which meant my truck was exclusivel mine. That way it stayed clean, and not smoked in. The other upsides were that my 7 spd (International 6 +1) had no speed limiter, whereas the auto trucks did, and my truck was also rated at 240 hp, whereas the autos were 215. Obviously I checked the engine decals... That sumbitch would wrap the needle right past 85.

I have always preferred a standard transmission. I currently daily drive a 6 speed almost 25K miles a year. Anything I drive with an auto I am either waiting for it to shift, or romping it to get it to kick down a gear.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                          I had 275 40 18s on the front of my coupe, on an 18x9 wheels.

They did not rub, and I did not cut the fenders. There are certainly pictures around here somewhere.

When I was in college I used to deliver mattresses for a small company. When it came time for the company to get new lease trucks, I requested a standard shift. We had previously had some older Internationals with automatics, and they were turds. Plus, no one wanted to drive the stick trucks, which meant my truck was exclusivel mine. That way it stayed clean, and not smoked in. The other upsides were that my 7 spd (International 6 +1) had no speed limiter, whereas the auto trucks did, and my truck was also rated at 240 hp, whereas the autos were 215. Obviously I checked the engine decals... That sumbitch would wrap the needle right past 85.

I have always preferred a standard transmission. I currently daily drive a 6 speed almost 25K miles a year. Anything I drive with an auto I am either waiting for it to shift, or romping it to get it to kick down a gear.
                          We have two 2.2l auto S10s (Black Beauty and Red Velvet) at work and they're complete garbage, both with slipping trannies. Where as with a manual, you either have gears or you don't.
                          Our manual scion XB will squeak second. So even though the Scion looks like a rolling box, I prefer it.

Plus, ain't no true muscle car that has an auto, c'mon now.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post

That said, I probably wouldn't put one in my car, just doesn't seem right to put a manual in a 4-door... much less a dirt slow stock one. boat
                            Um, I believe Logan's is a 2 door & pretty fast......

I hope to see it run down the strip @ S.F.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I hope to outrun it down the strip at Scottfest with my automatic

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Stick is more fun! Esp @ the track

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
                                X