No announcement yet.

85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No thanks. Only frame swap that would ever happen on my car is 98-02 for the watts link. No rack and peanut crap for me.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      No thanks. Only frame swap that would ever happen on my car is 98-02 for the watts link. No rack and peanut crap for me.
      I'm curious as to why you don't like rack and pinion? It's technically a superior steering setup, especially modern ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Don't like how it feels. Its too vague feeling. Its probably better than the stock box steering gear, but those are pretty horrible in their own way. Between the absolute lack of any wheel feel and the generally sloppy action of the stock 80s steering box I can't say I don't understand the motivation to make that better. I just happen to like that late model CVPI box more than the rack steering feel. Much better feedback and it returns to center immediately.

I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions.
        Last edited by gadget73; 03-22-2016, 08:35 PM.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hmm, I need to get you in a nice modern sports car, or even just something "sporty", the steering feels connected to the road, it will make any steering box system feel vague and disconnected!

Sorry for the thread jack big steam bobcat!
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
            Sorry for the thread jack big steam bobcat!

BIGGGGGGGGG STEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Engine is painted, I did a half ass job since I didn't really care too much, since it'll hopefully be getting a new one during the summer. (I need to explore some more colors, maybe it'll be yellow.. A tasteful yellow.) Anyhow, I tested out one of my new rims to see how they'd look. I wanted something with less spokes so that I could get a nice look at my fancy brakes. I started stripping the brakes off the driver's side rear end so that I can prepare to rebuild that bastard.. (Long story about the 3.55 LSD, 31 spline rear I was supposed to get) Anyways, she's coming along slowly, should've snapped some pictures of the interior and the carpet. Oh well.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Don't like how it feels. Its too vague feeling. Its probably better than the stock box steering gear, but those are pretty horrible in their own way. Between the absolute lack of any wheel feel and the generally sloppy action of the stock 80s steering box I can't say I don't understand the motivation to make that better. I just happen to like that late model CVPI box more than the rack steering feel. Much better feedback and it returns to center immediately.
              First R&P vehicle I owned was my Ram. From that time forward, every time I drove something with recirculating ball I felt like I was chasing it all over the road. Even brand new vehicles, or vehicles where the front end components were in good shape. Personal preference I guess.

One thing is for sure, I didn't know what 'loose' power steering was until I had that '75 F-250. You could probably grab the wheel and heave it in either direction and it would go all the way to lock. Feather light. That was a conventional manual steering gear, with a hydraulic ram assist; magnificent for big tires. Very hard to find steering components for the front of one of those.

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
              Engine is painted, I did a half ass job since I didn't really care too much, since it'll hopefully be getting a new one during the summer.

(I need to explore some more colors, maybe it'll be yellow.. A tasteful yellow.)
              Tasteful yellow is an oxymoron. My Dad painted the 4.3 in his S10 CAT yellow... because it was on the shelf.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

BIGGGGGGGGG STEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Yes I'm quoting all the pictures! Because fuck yes! Blue motor ftw!!!! And those rims look really good. can't wait to see it finished!

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                    First R&P vehicle I owned was my Ram. From that time forward, every time I drove something with recirculating ball I felt like I was chasing it all over the road. Even brand new vehicles, or vehicles where the front end components were in good shape. Personal preference I guess.

First R&P vehicle I owned was a Dodge Dakota. It wouldn't park to save it's life and it had absolutely no feedback. It had to be very actively driven in order to stay between the lines. Let go of the wheel with it turned a bit, and it would just keep going that way. The Mark VII is the only other R&P car I've owned, and it has the same annoyances. Turn circle the radius of the Titanic, and the wheel doesn't go back to the middle. I've driven an 03+ Panther once too, same thoughts. Not as terrible with the turn circle but the wheel just stays where you left it. It just feels like it isn't hooked to anything. Most of the other R&P cars I've driven at various points have the same complaint for me, the wheel just feels dead.

The S10 has slop in the steering, but if you let go of it it tracks straight, and it will hold a course without the constant ticking back and forth on the steering wheel. It just moves a good 2 inches back and forth before it starts to do anything. It doesn't stay where you left the wheel, it centers and it will K turn or parallel park quite a lot better than the Dakota could, despite having a longer wheelbase. The linkage on that sort of sucks by design though, and you really can't make them properly tight. The Townie has none of that. It runs back to center with authority, has virtually no slack in the wheel, and it will parallel park or U turn like a mofo. When it had the stock steering box, it was all of that mushy vague shit. It would shift lanes if your thoughts wandered, and it had absolutely no feel to the steering wheel at all. Massively over-boosted and engineered for Grandma. I have also had generally sloppy steering out of recirc ball designs, and that sucks. My 73 Super Beetle had a dead drag link and a worn out box, along with being a manual steering box car with a big wheel. It needed constant correction to get down the road. I've also driven slapped out 1970s Ford pickups, which have probably the worst steering systems on earth. Nothing like 1/4 turn of the wheel with absolutely nothing happening.

Comment

I'm with Thain on the steering. For drivability it just feels right to me. My Delta 88 is a little overkill though. It is crazy power assist.
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I like my racks.

Currently the oil pan is my hold up. It appears that the 351 swap pan just will not work. The front sump hits the rack or leaves it with zero clearance. So I put on my '94 Bronco pan and it came out to fitting a little better but not great. Goddamnit, I may just settle for beating up the 351 swap pan (not enough to hit the pump) and call it a day. As of right now, the motor is attached to the tranny and dangling in the engine bay.

On a positive note, I replaced my window guides with LMR Foxbody ones. They fit pretty good but still have a little give back and fourth. I'm not really satisfied with it, but surely it's better than the 30 year old garbage that was in there previously. The other issue is the window bumpers (Those little rubber/felt things that are at the top of the door panel) are just shot. I tried to find some repop cheap ones but all I got was NOS.

I really fucking hate the Non-Vent window doors. I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this bullshit when I don't even want these doors in the end. God fucking damnit.

No steam.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

The rack is impeding your quest for your car being done right now. :p

I know the side to side play was ridiculous when I was up there. Did it improve much?

As for the felt things you could always get the other ones we found. For like the challengers and whatnot. I don't think they were terribly expensive. BTW, all the stuff you're putting in, can be moved into your new doors.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            The rack is impeding your quest for your car being done right now. :p

I know the side to side play was ridiculous when I was up there. Did it improve much?

As for the felt things you could always get the other ones we found. For like the challengers and whatnot. I don't think they were terribly expensive. BTW, all the stuff you're putting in, can be moved into your new doors.

Yeah it's got far far less side to side play now. Still not good enough for me.. But that's how many things are with this car.

Uhhhhhhhh I found a deal on some fancy "On3" tubular manifolds with the exhaust pipes exiting forwards and a odd mounting surface for something????? So I bought em.

Engine is still awaiting Nick's welding ability, we're going on 4 weeks. Once that and the header panel are all set, I'll reassemble the front end at godspeed and it'll hopefully be running again. I'll also have to find the problem that was impeding the run ability previously. Also. Looks like I think I'm going to buy a King Cobra Stage 2 clutch for it, I was going to buy a Spec stage 1 but I'll save that for a TKO/T56.

You like how I change every single thing on the car, but don't fix the only thing that was wrong with it all along.

Big steam.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

You like how I change every single thing on the car, but don't fix the only thing that was wrong with it all along.
                              The irony is not lost on me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

"Uhhhhhhhh I found a deal on some fancy "On3" tubular manifolds with the exhaust pipes exiting forwards and a odd mounting surface for something????? So I bought em."

Are you stating you are going to turbo the 351?
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X