Newer OEM CD Player into 2001 GM with OEM tapedeck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newer OEM CD Player into 2001 GM with OEM tapedeck

Hey everyone heres hoping I'm posting this question in the proper area to begin with. I have read everyone else's threads and cant quite find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if Crutchfield or any other company makes a harness that will allow me to put a newer OEM CD Player in a 2001 GM with a stock OEM casette player? I have noticed that the plug sizes on the rear of the newer vs older units are quite different. I'd really like to keep stock appearance while having the convenience of the cd player. Thanks for everyones input!

you need a replacement harness for the newer year model stock radio and an aftermarket harness for your car and just wire those together to create an adapter harness. Unfortunately, you will also need the 03+ vent duct to be able to fit it since the 01 doesn't allow for true double din like the 03+ does. This is if the newer unit doesn't slope down on top as it goes back like your tape deck does.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ha, I think your car already has the wiring for the 6-disc in trunk cd changer. There were tape deck head units from the factory (probably cheap at the junkyard) that had controls (button said CD & button said Tape right next to each other IIRC) to switch over to the CD player in the trunk, the seek button would change tracks, the tune button would switch discs. Tape switched to tape, and am/fm buttons switched to those bands.

Look in your trunk for a plug/wiring pigtail in the back left quarter panel about halfway between the tail light and the trunk hinge. I have a spare 6 disc trunk changer out of a '99 Grand Marquis, and may have the mounting brackets here as well. '98-'02 CVs & GMs may have had them, and the CD changers 6 disc, not the 10s that came in some Lincoln TCs from Ford Lightnings, Ford Tauruses (mounted in console between seats), & possibly others will fit as long as they have the same plug.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Ok fellas thank you for the responses I really appreciate it. I guess I'll have to go with the CD changer in the trunk. My OEM tape deck definitely has CD changer controls on the buttons of the radio itself and I have seen the pigtail for the CD changer in the trunk. So I definitely know either it had one at some time or never had one. sxcpotatoes would you be willing to part with that CD changer that you said that you might have? If you are and are willing to part with it I would love to purchase it from you!

Comment

Originally posted by RollingCouchPotato View Post
          Ok fellas thank you for the responses I really appreciate it. I guess I'll have to go with the CD changer in the trunk. My OEM tape deck definitely has CD changer controls on the buttons of the radio itself and I have seen the pigtail for the CD changer in the trunk. So I definitely know either it had one at some time or never had one. sxcpotatoes would you be willing to part with that CD changer that you said that you might have? If you are and are willing to part with it I would love to purchase it from you!
          Let me dig thru the shed tomorrow and I'll get some pics, may need a laser cleaning for the eye in it, but worked fine when pulled. Once in a great while it'd give disc error and skip to next disc but if you cycled through back to the disc numbers, the skipped disc would play fine.

Comes with mounting brackets (iirc) but may be on your own for screws.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

definitely sound like a good isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip candidate.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I truly appreciate it! I'll bet with a good cleaning it will be just fine. Thank you for the effort I look forward to hearing from you. I'm sure I will be able to figure out something with screws.

Comment

I've got a number of these CD players it turns out, I yanked one from a Taurus in the junk yard and bought one off a guy that had removed it from his Ford Lightning. So, the one from my '99 makes a horrible racket and won't eject the damn cartridge, the other two work just fine when plugged into the square plug in the trunk of my '03 Grand Marquis Ultimate.

Anyway, in the pictures it's the one with the smaller, black cartridge in it, I'll take the mounting brackets off the bad player and toss them in the box with mounting screws so you can put the mounts on it & install in the stock location. You could look at picking up spare cartridges or just yank 'em at the yards when the tauruses come in with CD players between the seats.

PM me and we'll hash out shipping and all that.

Comment

Great! Will do! PM sent! For sum reason maybe it's because I am on my phone I cannot see the pictures.
                  Last edited by RollingCouchPotato; 07-12-2014, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Ah shit, forgot to paste the link https://plus.google.com/s/SexCpotatoes it's my most recent post, the one in the album of car parts pictures for Scottfest swappage. Pics 6 & 7.

This might be a better link directly to the album if it works: https://plus.google.com/photos/11244...5247889?sort=1
                    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 07-12-2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

sxcpotatoes in case you didnt get the PM check your paypal acct!

Comment

yay! The cd player came and I'll be rockin the cd's thanks to sxcpotatoes!

Comment

Working...
                        X