Body Replacement Panels for LTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body Replacement Panels for LTC

Does anyone here know where replacement body panels for box Town Cars can be bought? The trunk floor in my '88 is getting rusty and soft in the front part near where the fuel tank straps are attached to the body. I know it's easy to find replacement body parts for pickups and older cars, but I would rather replace my trunk floor with a made-to-fit panel than make up patches and weld them in. I have looked around the interwebz a nice bit but haven't been able to find anything sensible yet.
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

not to my knowledge. Best bet would be to get a non-rusty one off a junk yard/parts car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd say cannibalize a parts car, but I'm guessing you don't have any scrapyards close to you that would have such a beast in decent shape?
      Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
      Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
      Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
      Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

There is a scrapyard just outside of town here that has a frankenstien 1990-91 CV with a 1988-91 GMQ nose on it. It appears to be an Alberta car but there is rust on the framerails and outer body panels. I may be lucky enough that the trunk is OK. I'll have to get the yardkeeper to bust into the trunk for me so I can have a look. I'm not wasting my time if it's not immaculate though. I'm also assuming the LTC/CV trunks are exactly the same size/shape? They appear alike to me.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You don't have to bust anything to get into the trunk. Hook a cordless drill battery to the trunk release button in the glove box. Ground the battery to the chassis, then find the wire that leads to the solenoid. POP! A nice grin will come across your face.

Be mindful of polarity if your planning on getting any electronics from this car. If you connect to the wrong wire, you're basically powering up the ignition. Reverse polarity probably won't play well with others.
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Even if not in perfect shape, there's a place called wolf steel somewhere in Canada that can replicate damn near anything to exacting standards. It's an option if you're inclined.
            Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
            Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
            Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
            Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

I'll let the owner of the establishment deal with opening the trunk. My luck says the latch will be seized solid lol.

There is a place here in Goose Bay that does sheet metal work, I can check into a price when I get ready to chop it all up. I may just make it myself as I don't really care too much about the appearance as long as it's solid, tidy and water tight. I have to change the gas tank so that would be a good time to chop out all the soft stuff and fit in new pieces.

Comment

So it appears as though the floor of the trunk in that '90 Crown Vic at the JY is in decent shape. Seems good except for around the small rear body plugs, which can be fixed easily after installation of the panel. And my Lincoln's trunk floor is bad. Really bad.
                Any words of caution before I commence cutting it out? Anyone here ever done a complete floor replacement in a box before? I did it one time, years ago, in my '87 Crown Vic I had and did a rather mediocre job of it.
                I took out all my mats and sized it all up this morning. Complete replacement is the only way to go here...it's rusted bad in the last year, not much left. Large holes in the front of the lower floor pan big enough to easily pass your had through (close to the gas tank strap brackets, not good). The rest of the lower floor is pretty soft too. Around the forward body mounts in the upper part of the floor is bad too, though the brackets the body mounts screw into are still solid. I may cut the replacement trunk floor around those and then make panels to cover those later, being sure to attach the trunk to the mounts and not just lay it on top. I'll probably put holes with rubber plugs over the tops of the body mount bolts in the place of the swelled upwards floor stampings that are there now.
                Basically, I'm changing the entire trunk except for the part that goes down into the quarter panels (to the outer edges of the high part of the trunk on either side), back to the trunk latch catch bar and forward to about 3" or 4" up the "gas tank wall". I'll have the tank out when the new trunk is being welded in so no conflict with the tank or possible fire/explosions lol.

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                  I'll have the tank out when the new trunk is being welded in so no conflict with the tank or possible fire/explosions lol.
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                  X