Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indy new guy (sorta) with a beaut Panther for sale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indy new guy (sorta) with a beaut Panther for sale...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1989MGM04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1302474

Greetings guys! I've been a lurker on here ever since I bought my 1989 MGM, and this forum has been invaluable in helping me to maintain that car on the cheap. Bought the car at 48,000 miles and have put 20,000 reasonably trouble-free miles on it, thanks largely to the good folks here.

The short version of my story is I'm not going to need the car anymore and thought that here would be my best chance of finding it a good home. I was planning on keeping the car to give to one of my little siblings but the transmission conked out first. I've been quoted $1,500 for a rebuild on the tranny and am looking for $1,850 for the car (so someone who's got a less-nice version of one of these sitting around and the inclination to transfer a transmission could have themselves a bargain). Now, my dad blogs over at CurbsideClassic.com and anyone interested in the car or just reading about and looking at pictures of a cool old Panther would want to click this link

You guys have (unknowingly) contributed a lot over the last two years in helping this car stay in fighting shape. I hope some pictures of your work will qualify as a thank you in the meantime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1989MGM07.jpg
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1302475Click image for larger version

Name:	1989MGM02.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1302476Click image for larger version

Name:	1989MGM04.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1302474

For car inquiries from the Indy area (and beyond, I guess) my email is bigdawg9292@gmail.com.

Car looks to be in excellent condition. Is just the OD out ?

Comment

Great Scott!

A near-mint, late model, two-tone, LS trim, box Grand Marquis. One of the best I've seen in a LONG time.

I don't usually consider scooping up cars more than ~45 minutes away, but I really want to make an exception for this one. I remember reading about this on Curbside Classic..... and loving that two tone paint. Box panthers are one of the few cars in which they can never look bad in a factory color scheme, only differing shades of awesome. The fact that lots of normal wear items have been replaced sweetens the deal.

I mean, just look at her. She's beautiful! Aside from the little issues like the missing hood ornament and minor scrapes, she's perfect. Nothing my local body work wizard Dave Towne can't fix! I don't mind the A/C slow leak; I plan on deleting it anyway. OD not working isn't an issue; I'd get the tranny rebuilt (and get a TransGo shift kit installed!) ASAP.

$1850 is a fair price, one that I'd be comfortable to pay. Just not yet. I just need to deal with 6 cars first- starting with my '89 GMGS "Ebyt". At the bare minimum, I need to pump another $2000 into Ebyt's build. Need to get a whole bunch of stuff purchased and/or installed: digidash, headers, exhaust, trac-lok. Also need to confirm winter storage arrangements. After that/in the meantime, there's FIVE other cars that got to me first, and I've just got to have them. By the time all the aforementioned stuff is tended to, it'll be late August. And that's a conservative estimate.

If the car's still around then, we'll talk business. If not, I hope whoever you sell the '89 to never subjects it to a winter. She's far too cool to be killed by fucking retarded ass salt roads.
      Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 07-12-2014, 01:01 AM. Reason: Minor stylistic changes
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Yeah, the overdrive's the culprit here. Not to be 'that guy' but it really is in great shape. The previous owners took great care of it and my dad's always been great about keeping cars as he found them. Of the parts we've changed on it (water pump and the like) just about all of them have been original with the car. All my friends call it the 'ghetto cruiser' because it's an old boxy car. Guys here appreciate it!
        Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
        Car looks to be in excellent condition. Is just the OD out ?

Comment

I'd love it, but Indy is too far from Texas for me... and I'm holding out for a 91 lx wagon

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You wagon people... sheesh! Haha, I like them, they just attract a different breed as far as I can tell.
            Originally posted by sly View Post
            I'd love it, but Indy is too far from Texas for me... and I'm holding out for a 91 lx wagon

Comment

and I are a different breed

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How clean is it underneath?
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                    Oh god he's looking to expand his collection, lol

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Too bad I am so far away...would be a nice piece to add to the collection but I'd have to drive it home from there...Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

It's clean

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                        You know, it just didn't occur to me to take pictures of the lower part as a younger guy who's taken how nice the car is for granted - underneath is totally clean, no rust even starting. I've been regular with underbody washes and that sort of work, and it's worked out thus far!

Comment

Hey Scott, it's jpciv's Dad. We still have the car. I have been too busy to advertise it locally, have had a few bites from the signs in the windows, but they are mostly people who don't really understand older cars and whose mechanics don't want to mess with them. If you still have some interest, would love to talk to you. I will keep an eye out here.

Comment

Working...
                          X