Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to stop the Check Air suspension light from coming on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way to stop the Check Air suspension light from coming on?

My GM is used..and someone removed the AS.....just wondering if it's possible to stop the warning from coming on.
    2001 Grand Marquis LS

pull the AS fuse/circuit breaker from the fuse box under the hood? No power to it, I would think it wouldn't gripe about anything.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Anything else on the circuit? I cut the wire behind the glove box that feeds the computer and called it a day!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I've seen at least one spring conversion kit that comes with instructions for turning off the light, but I don't recall the details. IIRC, it has something to do with one of the wires on a module in the trunk. Personally, I'd rather have the air suspension.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
          I've seen at least one spring conversion kit that comes with instructions for turning off the light, but I don't recall the details. IIRC, it has something to do with one of the wires on a module in the trunk. Personally, I'd rather have the air suspension.

Well it's already on springs. Not sure if I want to go back to it. Why would you chose to have it IYO?
          2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

smoother ride and automatic load leveling. wonderful features.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthGaDawg74 View Post
              Well it's already on springs. Not sure if I want to go back to it. Why would you chose to have it IYO?
              I don't know enough to comment about ride quality, but I think one of the reputed benefits of air suspension is better ride quality. The big selling point for me is keeping the ass end up regardless of how much weight I'm carrying. I happen to have a big-ass sound system, so my suspension is under a constant load to begin with.

Probably the biggest selling point for the springs is that you never have to worry about problems with your air suspension again. But, if you understand your air suspension, it's not as spooky as they make it out to be. Here's my understanding of it:

1. air compressor and dryer mounted on the front fender liner -- The air compressor will theoretically last a lifetime if not overworked from having to deal with leaks. I had an issue with the air compressor mount/silencer rotting away, but I fixed it for cheap. Here's the link: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...essor-Silencer. In a sense, the air compressor is actually like a leak monitor sensor since an air compressor that runs more than usual generally indicates a leak somewhere.

2. air line to the rear -- The only time you have to worry about the air line leaking is if it gets cut somehow. I think it's a plastic line, so corrosion shouldn't be an issue. The outer protection sleeve on mine was wearing down where it's been rubbing against the front fender liner, but I just put some split loom on that section for extra protection.

3. solenoids at the air bags -- These basically regulate the amount of air going into and out of the bags. I've read that rotting o-rings in the solenoids can cause leaks, but I don't think changing them would be a big deal.

4. the air bags -- The air bags will eventually wear out and leak, but changing them does not appear to be much more difficult than changing a coil spring. There's a clip on the top, and the bag just pulls out of its bottom mount. The prices for some replacements seem quite reasonable.

5. electronic controls -- I'm not aware of any issues arising in the electronic control system itself, though I guess it's possible to have issues there. There is a height adjustment sensor that apparently produces an electrical signal based on the displacement of a rod that indicates ride height, and the rod part of the sensor can get seized up. On mine, there were two metal bands securing an accordion sleeve over the rod, and the bands had rotted away, but there was no problem with the rod mechanism itself. I just used plastic zip ties to secure the accordion sleeve, and they should last a lifetime.

Since someone had already put coils in your car, there must have been a problem somewhere. Converting back would always be an option, but I guess there's no way to predict the final cost ahead of time.
              Last edited by IPreferDIY; 07-14-2014, 04:01 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm breaking any rules by expanding on the air suspension system in a thread in the electrical section, but I wanted to raise a couple of issues to round things out.

First, the following thread had the following good tip about refreshening the dessicant in the air compressor drier unit:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...utting-springs

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                the compressor does indeed last a very long time when not over-worked. One thing that will help kill it is a saturated drier though. It might be worth removing it, taking it apart, and baking out the dessicant so that the air system doesn't corrode from moisture. On the earlier driers at least, the top would unscrew and then you basically just dumped the contents out into a baking dish. When I did mine, I cooked it for 20 minutes at the lowest setting the oven had. A toaster oven would do the job very well too. Basically when the beads go from a yellow-brown back to white-blue, they're good.
                Second, I've been wondering whether there is any kind of substance that could be used to treat the airbags to help prolong their lifespan. I thought about spraying them with WD-40, which supposedly does not to have any harmful effects on rubber. Something else that came to mind recently was the stuff that people use to clean their tires. Does this stuff actually have a protectant quality, or is it strictly for appearance?

Comment

Working...
                X