5.4 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.4 swap?

OK firstly if thus is in the wrong section I apologize.
    Secondly. I am wondering what issues will I run into if I attempt to swap in a 5.4 will I need the harness as well as the computer or just the computer and engine? Please help I've searched and am lost

You'll need a 5.4 computer and you're going to need a low rise intake, otherwise the stock 5.4 truck intake will protrude through your hood. If you want to maintain the intake then chop apart your hood, otherwise you're going to want to use a 4.6 intake with spacers. I do believe there is a company (forgot the name) that makes a low rise 5.4 intake that will fit in a whale.

Is it going to be DOHC or SOHC? SOHC will give you a little more engine room and breathing room but will dimish some power. But. You'll still make mountains or torque..

Off the top of my head, that's what I know.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

It will be a single cam from a 1998 f150. I know the 5.4 is taller any idea by how much with intake? Also will the harness from the 4.6 work?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabep71 View Post
        It will be a single cam from a 1998 f150. I know the 5.4 is taller any idea by how much with intake? Also will the harness from the 4.6 work?
        It may work but I doubt it, I'd gather everything you can from the truck to do the engine swap. In the end you don't want to be splicing and rewiring the whole thing. I know that it's tall enough to stick a probable 5" out of the hood. Look up some pictures. If you compare the intake from the 5.4 to your 4.6 intake, you'll see the 5.4s is a straight up mountain compared to the 4.6, ford want to squeeze all the torque out of it as they could..

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Five inches you say, that's maybe a bit much. The hps intake is about 6-700 it seems. I wonder if I could lower the engine down a tad with different mounts.

Comment

What about transmission mounts?

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I have access to basically endless fabrication possibilities. I have access to welding cutting bending and painting equipment but my concern is how low will it have to go? I am willing to go with a 3 inch cowl as well but no taller

Comment

You won't gain much by swapping a 5.4 in there. It's a lot of work for a little gain. IMO spend the money to mod 4.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                  You won't gain much by swapping a 5.4 in there. It's a lot of work for a little gain. IMO spend the money to mod 4.6.
                  Basically this..

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I figure I can go as far as a pi swapped 5.4 if my research proves correct. I feel with more displacement I open myself up to more torque potential also I have a line on a dirt cheap 5.4

Comment

make sure no plugs are seized in the heads. 5.4s are notorious for those and having them break off in the heads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Make sure it hasn't blown any spark plugs from the heads, that happens alot too.... Welcome to the mod motor party!

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

now if you're going to use aftermarket heads... ignore all that and go for it. those 5.4 blocks are great for great torque and power with the right build up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                          X