Air shocks slowly losing pressure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air shocks slowly losing pressure.

Last time I checked them, I filled them to 42 psi. About a month later and they're down to 38, and it certainly feels like it.

I don't think this is normal.

They're Monroe Max-Air shocks that I bought brand new last year. I had the airline replaced as well when they were installed.

So I dunno what the problem could be. Is this normal?
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

I gave up on air shocks about 1967 for several reasons one was leakage.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I'd put regular shocks on and not bother with all that foolishness.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
        I gave up on air shocks about 1967 for several reasons one was leakage.
        Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        I'd put regular shocks on and not bother with all that foolishness.
        Not helping.
        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Slow leakage over that much time is probably to be expected. Tires do it too. Check the connections to make sure they aren't loose but otherwise my best advice would be to check the shocks when you check the tires and top up as needed. I've never had a pair hold perfectly either.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Actually we ARE helping. Are they still covered by a warrantee? Doesn't sound normal to me either so obviously you appear to have a leak (but then you didn't need us to tell you THAT). If a shop installed them, go back to them. If you installed them, contact Monroe. Sorry we can't see through the computer to find the leak.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Or has been said, keep them topped off and don't worry about them.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Slow leakage over that much time is probably to be expected. Tires do it too. Check the connections to make sure they aren't loose but otherwise my best advice would be to check the shocks when you check the tires and top up as needed. I've never had a pair hold perfectly either.
                Will do. I was eventually planning on getting a small air compressor to put in the trunk, but it seems I'll have to bump that up the priority list somewhat. There aren't any free air stations around here.

...Oh hey, here's just the thing for 20 bucks. Thanks, Amazon.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Those compressors (generally as I have not checked Amazon) come in REAL handy for quick tire fill ups. Good move to have one at hand. Keep one in all my trunks!!

Comment

Another thing about air shocks and handling is if they are not hooked up seperately pushing down on one side like around a corner jacks up the opposite side causing more body roll. Temperature changes also affect pressure and promotes leakage.
                    Could have loose connections or dammaged in some way also pin holes in the air bag. The more they are pumped up the less shock travel there is when a bump throughs the vehicle upward which can also dammage the system.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      Another thing about air shocks and handling is if they are not hooked up seperately pushing down on one side like around a corner jacks up the opposite side causing more body roll. Temperature changes also affect pressure and promotes leakage.
                      Could have loose connections or dammaged in some way also pin holes in the air bag. The more they are pumped up the less shock travel there is when a bump throughs the vehicle upward which can also dammage the system.
                      Ah. Temperature change, I didn't think of that. That would explain it. Cold air is denser. Duh.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Yes cold air is denser but in this case hot air expands so in a perfect world the car would go up as the temp increased and down when it decreased.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                          Yes cold air is denser but in this case hot air expands so in a perfect world the car would go up as the temp increased and down when it decreased.
                          I have found over the years filling tires in the winter come warm weather have to add a few lbs.

Comment

rubber is porous. it will leak ever so slowly over time, regardless.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                              Yes, that's true. My point was I didn't notice any leaks during winter, and that was probably because the air was denser at the time. I also had the shocks at 35 in winter and I have to keep them at 42 now to get the same result.

I can't remember the last time I filled them before this summer.
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                              X